• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    This conversation started in another thread, and rather than highjacking it, I decided to post here. There are many interpretations of how and when someone without an LTCH can transport a firearm legally. I have an LTCH, but I think it is important to understand the laws.

(By the way, this site is a great way to get dialogue going and enjoy healthy debate! Once again, love it!)

I have pasted below a small section from the other thread that was provided for reference.

The question I have, which is not meant to be scarcastic or argumentative at all, is if I want to take my guns to a friends house to shoot them, and let's pretend I don't have a permit, can I not do that?

Wouldn't that fall under #11, "..., or in moving from one dwelling or place of business to another." ??

From the ICC:
    IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No, you can't. "Moving" doesn't mean "driving", in this case. It means physically relocating your place of residence. You need at least a Target LTCH for this, which is why one is made available to you (although why you'd get a target license and not a PP is beyond me).

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    There are many interpretations of how and when someone without an LTCH can transport a firearm legally. I have an LTCH, but I think it is important to understand the laws.

The question I have, which is not meant to be scarcastic or argumentative at all, is if I want to take my guns to a friends house to shoot them, and let's pretend I don't have a permit, can I not do that?

Please tell me that was a typo, because IMNSHO, taking your gun anywhere to shoot anyone, friend or not, is still illegal, whether you have a LTCH or not. That would probably qualify as premeditated, not self-defense.

Just to be absolutely clear...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why would you want to shoot your guns? Wouldn't putting holes in them damage them?

(Pami look what you started!)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Please tell me that was a typo, because IMNSHO, taking your gun anywhere to shoot anyone, friend or not, is still illegal, whether you have a LTCH or not. That would probably qualify as premeditated, not self-defense.

That was seriously funny!
    Rep'd that one!
    And glad NOT to be his friend!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Hey.. sorry.. I really didn't mean to derail the thread completely.. it was the "not meant to be sarcastic or argumentative" part that had me concerned.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm never going to live this down, am I ????
    Probably not. Mine was asked in sincerity.. I doubt esrice's was. :):

My fault for not reading it well. Sorry :(

fwiw... as far as the not living it down bit.. i've been here since March, and a lot of people still think I'm obsessed with pink, even though all of the guns I've owned (I admit, I'm only up to 3) have been a very respectable evil black. :dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Probably not. Mine was asked in sincerity.. I doubt esrice's was. :):

My fault for not reading it well. Sorry :(

fwiw... as far as the not living it down bit.. i've been here since March, and a lot of people still think I'm obsessed with pink, even though all of the guns I've owned (I admit, I'm only up to 3) have been a very respectable evil black. :dunno:

But deep down inside you wish they were pink!

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish

I doubt that we will ever have anyone on this decidedly non-obscure board will ever willingly or intentionally detail their friend's murder in a post.

Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you can assume or interpret every single post as a possible negative. I understand that it "comes with the position" but seriously, come on.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I doubt that we will ever have anyone on this decidedly non-obscure board will ever willingly or intentionally detail their friend's murder in a post.

Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you can assume or interpret every single post as a possible negative. I understand that it "comes with the position" but seriously, come on.

I'm pretty sure she was just pointing out the joke.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I'm pretty sure she was just pointing out the joke.
    I'm pretty sure she wasn't.

Sam's diction may have been a little off, but you can't honestly believe that someone would be so stupid as to post their "scheme" to shoot somebody on a gun forum. I know dumb **** like that happens every once in a while but again, seriously, come on. INGO won't be an accessory for anything like that.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    For the record, I just wanted to make sure that I did misunderstand and that it wasn't a joke. No, I do not believe anyone would announce to the world on this forum that they intend to go and shoot someone intentionally. However, I also didn't want one of our newer members to joke about it either.

It was one of those "be careful of what you say and how you say it" moments.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Ok, so my my writing needs a little more thought before it gets posted (noted)... and I am certainly embracing the joke and the fun. No, I am not dumb, stupid, or "scheming" in any way, shape, or form. Why would I want to hurt my friends?? I often times take my guns to a friends house (as I am sure many of us do) to shoot them (the guns) at targets in a safe environment. Now that we have that clear........

I was laughing my a** off once it was pointed out :)....I realize now it could be read both ways, but I suppose I didn't pay much attention prior to posting, and really didn't think any one would ever interpret it that way. I don't believe any of the responses were intently malicious, and if they were, I am certainly not taking them that way, as I thought it was hilarious. Thanks to all for the laugh, and for the opportunity to clarify, and for the support!

Until I stumble upon my next double entendre, I will most certianly be "living this one down"!!

Thanks all!

Top Bottom