• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Anyone know of a shop that carries Trail Boss Powder? I am looking to develop pinking loads with cast bullets for my O3A3. The shop in Plainfield doesn't carry the powder.

Thanks -

Dave

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Indiana Gun Club (Atterbury at least)
    Bite The Bullet (Seymour)
    Shootin' Irons (Martinsville)
    Outdoorsman (Greenwood)

You might try Bradis II as well.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    We stock Trail Boss in one pound containers.

Mmmm I did't know Trail Boss came in 1 pounders, all I have been able to find are 9oz and 5 pounders. You might want to look at the lable on the can, they are the same size as a normal 1 pounder, but Trail Boss is so bulky that the can will only hold 9oz.

BTBguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jackson County
    Mmmm I did't know Trail Boss came in 1 pounders, all I have been able to find are 9oz and 5 pounders. You might want to look at the lable on the can, they are the same size as a normal 1 pounder, but Trail Boss is so bulky that the can will only hold 9oz.

Your right. I always for get that they are lighter that the others on the shelf.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Does anyone know the "economy" of using Trail Boss, versus other standard powders, for cast bullet loads? I've not actually used it myself, but my understanding is that it's relatively expensive, on a per-shot basis?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Does anyone know the "economy" of using Trail Boss, versus other standard powders, for cast bullet loads? I've not actually used it myself, but my understanding is that it's relatively expensive, on a per-shot basis?

It is more expensive, how much I couldn't tell you. I use it because it fills the .45 Colt cases more and makes it easier to catch an improper charge and makes double charges neigh impossible. Clays was more economical for me.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I've loaded a lot of cowboy loads in 38 special using Trail Boss. My loads are 4 grains under a 130 grain cast lead bullet. I load 45/70's using 16 grains of TB. Just as a comparison Trail Boss on the internet is 100$ for a 5# bottle and Unique is 120$ for 8#. Using a load of 4 grains of TB cost 1.14 cents per round or 57 cents per 50 round box. Unique using 4 grains per load is .86 cents per round or 43 cents per 50 round box. So the difference 14 cents per 50 round box of reloads. I'll pay the difference for all the things TB does. you can load pistol or rifle with it. In my experience it burns cleaner than other powder in reduced loads. Other charge weights will very the amounts, but it still is not that much.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The economy of Trail Boss isnt the best point to consider. I use it in all of my handgun calibres, including 45 ACP (though it doesnt cycle the slide) for reduced loads for beginners and times when I jsut want to shoot without all the noise and recoil. I also have used it in a few rifle calibers for reduced loads with pretty good success. Another thing I have noticed about it, it seems to be a good bit cleaner than many pistol powders that I use for full loads in my handgun loads.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the real world numbers on Trail Boss, Slipnotz. It sounds like the virtues of Trail Boss are well worth the minimal increase in cost per shot. :)

Top Bottom