• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldbikelvr

Marksman
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I was just wondering how many folks out there are shooting traditional black powder firearms. Are there many shoots anymore. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle and Pistol matched set in .45 that I have had since I was about 12 and went to rendezvous with my uncle. I don't get to shoot them nearly as much as I would like.

X-Ravin

Plinker
    May 7, 2009
    West Lafayette
    I regularly shoot a traditions pursuit xlt with thumbhole stock. It's a .50 and a ton of fun to shoot. That big puff of white smoke tends to attract attention at the range. I've never been to a shoot with it, just plink around at the range with either power belts or lead balls.

May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I was just wondering how many folks out there are shooting traditional black powder firearms. Are there many shoots anymore. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle and Pistol matched set in .45 that I have had since I was about 12 and went to rendezvous with my uncle. I don't get to shoot them nearly as much as I would like.

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association has its national headquarters and range in Friendship, Indiana. According to their website they have ongoing events and opportunities to shoot their.

Never been there, but it looks fun!

:ingo:

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I shoot traditional BP. Have a Lyman Trade Rifle (50 cal percussion) I shoot with patched ball. Also have a Traditions 1851 Colt in 44. Yes, I know the 1851 was really a 36 but this was low $ used and is a ball to shoot. Let's keep in touch. There doesn't seem to be many traditional BP shooters on this board. Too many in-lines, 777 & Pyrodex, etc.
    Nothing like the smell of 3F Goex on a Sunday morning.

6birds

Shooter
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My favorite gun is a Traditions 32 Cal for tree rats, those little .310 balls really kill 'em good, and the noise seems to bring more squirrels to the kill site!

barryG

Plinker
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    I shoot real black powder in Flintlocks (.32 and .45) and percussion revolvers. I also shoot many modern firearms, but when I really want to relax I get out the old charcoal burner and have a great day at the range. Personally I cannot stand looking at the modern inline black powder rifles. I just do not see the point, but that is strictly my opinion :)

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i've got two .45 cal cap and ball pistols and a .45 cal muzzle-loader. all are CVA kits my grandpa made and i would love a lesson or two in shooting them. I don't have any accessories (powder measure, patches, balls, powder, caps) and i'm not sure exactly what I'd need to get. Any ideas? I'd love to shoot them, I'm pretty sure they haven't been fired since the 70's.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Ah, the smell of Goex ...

It's amazing that the range I go to, I get nothing but strange looks when shooting my percussion revolvers and muzzy. I guess they just don't sense the enjoyment of going back 150 years and experiencing the joy of black powder.

I shoot a Uberti Walker, Uberti Dragoon, Remmy 1858, Ruger Old Army and a Traditions Hawken.

I guess i'm not so hung up on MOA accuracy to show to all my buddys. I mean, sure i have plenty of modern firearms to enjoy all aspects of reloading, casting lead and chrono'ing loads but just something about the Goex in the morning.

I really wish more people in this area enjoyed the hobby also but it doesn't appear to be the case around here.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    About a year qago, I took my Lyman Trade Rifle to MCF&G to get it sighted in. A young boy was there with his father shooting a 22. He thought it was big fun watching me load and shoot. Loved the smoke and fire of the .50 patched ball.I took the time to show him the how and why of traditional BP shooting. I'm no expert but I know the general principles. The guys I shoot with are real traditional. Most shoot flint guns, cast their own balls, use pillow ticking for patches with spit for lube. Some make their own powder horns and tan their deer skins. Great history lesson.

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Jan 30, 2010
    I regulary shoot a 45 caliber Blue Ridge Percussion rifle and a 58 caliber Remington Zouave. I also shoot a number of cap and ball pistols - 36 and 44 caliber.

Top Bottom