• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I've Ben carrying for the better part of two years and its always been a pt111.
    I've had no problem carrying +1. Until I traded for this firearm. I hate the safety on it but the safety activates the firing pin block (i think). There is no "cocked and locked"
    Safety on = hammer down. Am I going nuts or can some one slap me and tell me its ok to carry +1, safety off, hammer down.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It's okay to carry a 5906 with one in the pipe

With the safety off and hammer down. The safety on the smith is just like the one on the beretta 92

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    What if something hits the hammer hard. I d k what .. I never thought I'd be gun shy lol

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Its as safe as a revolver or Beretta or CZ or any other DA first pull gun. I would carry it safety off.

As far as something hitting the hammer, there might be a half cock notch if you are that worried about it but some guns firing pin isn't long enough to hit a primer with the hammer resting on it. I believe those are inertial pins. My Kimber 1911 has one.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Apparently the early models of 59 were not drop safe, the 5906 from what I can tell is.

When they drop test these, from my understanding, they test it from several angles including directly on a lowered hammer.

I had originally felt uncomfortable carrying like this.
    I carry a DA revolver regularly and I'll admit at first I'd index an empty chamber under the hammer. I just wasn't comfortable with it. After some research and carrying it a few times I quickly changed over.

If you want, go to the range next time load a round, safe it, point down range, un-safe it, and give the back end a rap with a plastic hammer.

Top Bottom