• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So...... November-ish in 2022.

The company I worked for had a mass lay off. I was one of them.... The day I got notice another team reached out to me and said.....instead of getting laid off join our team. Fix our Linux servers and we will train you in Hadoop. So I joined instead of catching the lay off.

6 months later no useful training and the were mad I didn't fix some environments......they blamed me and laid me off and informed me I had 6 weeks and the ln out the door....

Three weeks after leaving there I got a new job. Took a month worth of interviews and waiting but I got it. Damn near my dream job...it was great. I messed with the tram well I was well liked it was great! Then with out warning I have call with my boss, his boss, and the CEO. Company not doing well, lost a contract, blah blah today's your last day.
    They laid off 1/3 of the company that day. I was there...2 months. I left there the Friday before Thanksgiving. I chose not to look for a job in December and just took some time off to spend time with friends and family and decompress from the right year.

Been applying for jobs since Jan 1st.
    I have had zero interviews. A few phone screens that go nowhere.

I have 18 years experience and 10 in my current tract. I'm getting nothing out there.

Anyone else having a touch time? Anyone looking for a Linux admin?

... Whining over

Thanks for reading

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Lost my great welding job in June of last year, had some time off till hired for driving job for an automotive parts place ( not my dream job) got hired by BPS ( close to my dream job) got hours cut after Christmas, working again at a car parts place ( definitely not my dream job) started on social security, so that helps some.. FMJ sorry to thread Jack.. I feel your pain, sound like you, at least, have marketable skills. Me I’m just a dumb old welder, Retiredish…,

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ever work a phone for money?

It's similar, in this market: you need to be doing 3-4 applications completed per day, at least 2-3 days per week, and work something part time on the days you aren't working at the library, office, etc. job seeking.

One fall, I left my company where I'd been for almost a decade, and took a national-level opportunity in my field. Looked great, meshed well, etc., but almost 3/4 of the company was gone by spring. Several of us in the upper tier knew the risk, but thought we had a little more burn time to fix their trajectory. We were wrong, and honestly, my Sr. and I had a chuckle over our lack of optics into the situation in the C's, despite our heavier weight of experience in solving their type of problems.

But, I was still "up a creek".

So, I did what I have always done--except more of it--got a big notebook, lots of sharpened pencils, and caffeine, and did what I am advocating to you.

Work at the applications, your resume, job workshops, interview practice, AT LEAST as hard as you would be working if you were employed in your field.

I'd be more than happy to edit the f*** out of your resume.

Been editing and writing for friends and for companies and public entities for years, some of it fairly high shelf stuff. Damaged a friendship or two in college with the red pen, but some of their work was really bad, and their marks got better, so wtf ever...

As a few forum members know, I'm gonna be honest to the bleeding fault. If you don't want that, don't send me your stuff.

But I will offer the helping hand, anyway.

I've needed the hand before, and somehow, it always found me.

I try to live up to that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    My son's an IT type guy and was laid off last August/September and just landed a contract job a couple weeks ago. Just found out this week they're going to hire him full time. He, though, is pursuing a masters in cybersecurity and they really don't have anyone for that specialty, so they seem to be doing right by him. Just keep at it, something will come up. He got put in his job by Pinnacle Partners; might try getting hold of a contract company of some sort for leads. Hopefully something comes up for you quickly.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Computer Scheduler responds to Tier 1 and a few Tier 2 data center operational functions. Responsibilities included defining, monitoring, and responding to various alerts, alarms, and workloads across a variety of systems, in an enterprise data center. Systems include Windows, Linux, Unix, z/Os, and various network components, using tools such as CA7, CA11, TSO, SDSF, Orion, and others. The candidate will serve on a team that is the central point of command and control for a wide variety of IT systems and application support. This area is staffed 24x7x365. Candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced, and sometimes high-stress environment. Weekends and Holidays are covered on a rotating basis but are required.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I had a friend years ago not getting interviews. He asked me to look at his resume. I suggested two changes. Within 2 weeks he had an interview and a new job.
    Have someone who looks at resumes all day take a look at yours and offer suggestions. May not help, but certainly couldn't hurt.
    I've been retired > 20 yrs so maybe I'm out of touch, but this seems like a reasonable "touch all your bases" suggestion.
    Also do you network with people who know your work, past co-workers, etc?
    I think back to all the jobs I've had and almost all of them were because I knew somebody.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I was a IT tech support manager for the past 12 years of my career, now retired. Over the years I interviewed my share of folks. And I saw some horrendous resumes. I'm talking about basic spelling. I'm looking over the resume thinking how do these people expect to get hired. As was mentioned, have others look over your resume. And don't take offense over suggestions, corrections or advice. Good luck!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was a IT tech support manager for the past 12 years of my career, now retired. Over the years I interviewed my share of folks. And I saw some horrendous resumes. I'm talking about basic spelling. I'm looking over the resume thinking how do these people expect to get hired. As was mentioned, have others look over your resume. And don't take offense over suggestions, corrections or advice. Good luck!

Yep. Spelling, grammar, missing words, odd phrasing, using weird crap to try to make your resume "special". Seen more than my fair share of that garbage on resumes. I always followed the KISS rule and kept mine simple and easy to read.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep. Spelling, grammar, missing words, odd phrasing, using weird crap to try to make your resume "special". Seen more than my fair share of that garbage on resumes. I always followed the KISS rule and kept mine simple and easy to read.
    Keep in mind that in some places, a human being might not be looking at your resume, at least initially. A lot of places (including where I work) scan them and a computer looks for "key words" and makes decisions based on them. I submitted my resume several times before I was finally offered a job (no interview - just a job offer). In its final form, my resume would've looked ridiculous to any human reading it, but apparently the machine liked it. It was literally a word salad of "key words".

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Keep in mind that in some places, a human being might not be looking at your resume, at least initially. A lot of places (including where I work) scan them and a computer looks for "key words" and makes decisions based on them. I submitted my resume several times before I was finally offered a job (no interview - just a job offer). In its final form, my resume would've looked ridiculous to any human reading it, but apparently the machine liked it. It was literally a word salad of "key words".

That works for the machines, but certainly not if you have to get to an actual person to make a decision. I've thrown plenty of those resumes in the trash over the years. YMMV

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That works for the machines, but certainly not if you have to get to an actual person to make a decision. I've thrown plenty of those resumes in the trash over the years. YMMV
    Oh yeah, I would've never submitted a resume like that to a real person. I just had inside info on this particular job about how they did things. And like I said, I never even had an interview, which surprised the heck out of me!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Oh yeah, I would've never submitted a resume like that to a real person. I just had inside info on this particular job about how they did things. And like I said, I never even had an interview, which surprised the heck out of me!

Definitely odd. I've never received a job that didn't require an interview, even when I worked in warehouses for pick work.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yea, my resume may need a reformat. But it's currently formatted to have all the buzz words machines look for but still look good to the human eye.

Sadly I had an opportunity to have my resume professionally rewritten/looked over and I passed on the chance since I already had a job lined up. Some times I'm a dumbass.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Definitely odd. I've never received a job that didn't require an interview, even when I worked in warehouses for pick work.
    Oh it's even weirder... I actually got two job offers. I accepted the first one, and then a day or two later they called and offered me another one. When I told them I had already accepted the first one, they told me that this second one was a higher pay grade and that I could tell them I changed my mind about the first one and accept the second, which is what I did. :):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No wonder my resumes never worked. I probably shouldn't have used my posting style on INGO to formulate a resume.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I feel this thread hard. I left a job that was decent, but so much overtime. Last year, I once went 2 months without a day off. Checks were great though. TekSystems asked if I was interested in a position. It payed more, but about 20k less with the overtime I would not be doing. I was good with not having to work all the overtime. I really really jived with the manager. The manager wanted to bring in a team lead because the other IT employee's were real let downs. I was good with getting a team in line.

Then about 3 months into the position the manager and I had really started to turn things around. I thought things were going great. The manager got informed that in the company split, he would be going with the newly formed company focusing on the legacy products. Everything just crumbled after that. The manager that hired me in, requested that I apply for his job, but also told me, there was very little chance the company would buy out my current contract with TekSystems.

New manager get hired, and I thought things were good for a bit. I honestly thought we were getting along. Slowly the other IT employee's started to slip into the same things the old manager and I had corrected. The new manager kept pushing back my bi monthly 1 on 1's. But my reviews were great. Then I finally had my bi monthly 1 on 1, 6 weeks late. We talked about why I had been brought in. I asked her things about continuing the path or if she wanted me going down a different path. Apparently she never knew that I had applied for the position she got. A week to the day later I got a call saying that she had terminated the contract. The feedback that I got from Teksystems were things that I had never heard before, in my 18 years in IT. The next day I got a call from the manager who hired me in. He appologized to me for bringing me into the company.

Now I wish that I had never left the job I had. Going on month 3 of unemployment. I have not been out of work this long since I graduated college.

Top Bottom