Smug+Alert.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Facebook aside, our everyday world is a data mining minefield.

Facebook is a good way to touch base with people who through the years I've lost track of.

There's no need to worry about your privacy as long as you aren't STUPID enough to fill in all your personal information, use their apps, and use it for MORE than just a simple way to stay in touch with people.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I live on Facebook, morning noon and night. I even have direct links on my iPhone so I can keep in touch and post directly with Siri to both Facebook and Twitter. Like any public social site you have to realize it IS public and just use some common sense when it comes to what you allow people to see and what you say.

Pretty much sums it all up why he is anti-facebook. It never hurts to make the competition look bad in the public eye.

Facebook aside, our everyday world is a data mining minefield.

Facebook is a good way to touch base with people who through the years I've lost track of.

There's no need to worry about your privacy as long as you aren't STUPID enough to fill in all your personal information, use their apps, and use it for MORE than just a simple way to stay in touch with people.

:+1:

Facebook is only as evil as the information you feed it. Just know that whatever you send to the cloud, belongs to the cloud. That includes other free services like gmail, google apps, ect. Ever wonder why the advertisement in your gmail webmail was curiously related the message you're reading? They're mining, collecting, and selling your data. I'd be much more worried about the content of my email than the junk posted on Facebook.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Anyone realize that your browser history gets leached everytime you "notify" "them" about a glitch?

I also believe that misinformation is a tactical tool for some...

Maybe I am not even here, I could be logged into this computer from another on the other side of the world and I am not really in Indiana...

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Facebook is only as evil as the information you feed it. Just know that whatever you send to the cloud, belongs to the cloud. That includes other free services like gmail, google apps, ect. Ever wonder why the advertisement in your gmail webmail was curiously related the message you're reading? They're mining, collecting, and selling your data. I'd be much more worried about the content of my email than the junk posted on Facebook.

I use Firefox with an add-on called Ghostery. Just replying to message Ghsotery blocked (well, so they say) the following trackers: AdMeld, Google +1, Google Analytics, OpenX, and Quantcast.

The fact is that all data is mined anymore. Not only that, even past data is mined. I did a search in Google for a news story and they even have microfiche copies of decades old (as in 70+ years old or older) of newspapers available. That is crazy.

Facebook isn't a bad thing if you don't let it be a bad thing. Minimal info, a generic e-mail address. Set all privacy ratings to the highest. If someone tries to put me out at a place with them, I actually get an e-mail and I have to authorize that. Of course I don't.

Facebook can definitely affect your privacy as well. My understanding is that they offer Law Enforcement the keys to all profiles through a special service, which costs money of course. Since I haven't seen this, lets say this is just rumor at this time. Obviously a court subpena will get them everything anyway.

Apply for a job, especially a police job, Facebook will be looked at. A guy I know is applying with a suburban Indy department. During the background investigation, he was asked if he had a Facebook. He admitted he did. He had already admitted to photos of underage drinking and doing that in violation of the law. As soon as he admitted to having a Facebook, they asked what his log-in info was. He gave it. Come to find out, he was "friends" with a person who they claimed was a suspected or known thief. My guess is the guy was known, as telling someone who isn't already LE that a person is a thief when no charges have been filed would be very risky and possibly defamation.

This is what folks don't realize: You "friend" a person you really know nothing about. So you met them at a party at Ball State and they seemed cool. You told the person about your two awesome video game systems, all the games you have. They immediately send you a friend request since smart phones are all the rage. They hope that you are stupid enough to brag about your coming five day getaway so they can kick in your door and take your stuff.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad i never joined.

^ So I'll never have to worry about "quitting FaceBook", but try to "quit" EBay. When they decided to go rabidly anti-2nd a few years back, I decided to protest. I contacted EBay support and told them I wanted to close my EBay account.
    They asked me why, and I told them.
    They then said they would "leave it open just in case I changed my mind".

I told them I had no intention of changing my mind, and to close my account.

It took me 6 months, dozens of emails and phone calls, and even threats of litigation before they finally closed my account! Paypal was even harder.

NEVER AGAIN!

I now return you to your original post. Sorry for the thread-jack.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Meh. Like anything else, it's what you make of it.
    I have 44 people on my friends list, and a literal half of those are relatives. Most of them live too far away to visit often but I like keeping up with them and seeing photos of their kids growing up.

Top Bottom