Took my girlfriend to the range for the first time today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for close to four years at this point, and before today she has shot a total of maybe ten rounds. She doesn't dislike guns, but she's never really shown a whole lot of interest.

Well, she's home for spring break, and we were at my parent's, discussing what we wanted to do. After ruling some stuff out, I mentioned hey, it's beautiful out, let's go to the range. She said yes, and I about pooped myself.

So we gather up a variety of guns, and head out to HCFG. In the car, we discussed the four rules of firearm safety, and she made the comment at one point that they were all pretty much common sense. So once we got there and signed in, we went over all the rules again in detail, and started to set up the range, at about 10-15 yards. My favorite targets are paper plates, so I just stamped a 2" circle or so in the middle and called it good.

I decided that we'd start out with some rifle shooting, offhand with iron sights. Since she has talked about going with me to an Appleseed over the summer, I walked her through the operation of my 10/22 LTR.

We go over stance, breath control, how to hold it, all that good stuff, to the best of my ability to teach. I demonstrate a couple shots, and had a nice little clover group going on. It's her turn, I walk her through breathing and trigger pull, tell her to take her time, and she looks at me and informs me that her first shot is going to be in the black, because she's a badass. :rolleyes:

I get the hint, back off a little, and she sights, and fires. Her first shot is in the black, touching my first three. :n00b:

She fires four more times, loading a new magazine (one shot loaded each time) after each shot, and all but one are in the black. :):

We end up shooting my 10/22, my dad's Henry .22, and my scoped Weatherby Mark XXII (from probably 20 yrds). She fell in love with the Henry.

We had two hours or so until we had to get her back to her house to babysit, so I asked her if she wanted to try her hand at pistol shooting. My 22/45 is totally stripped down at this point, and has it's grips ground off, so it wasn't available to bring. I didn't have target ammo for my 1911 (:xmad:), so the choices were my mom's Lady Smith and my buddy's G19 that I'm safekeeping while he lives in Chicago.

She decides to give the Lady Smith a shot, does pretty well but the noise with the short barrel gets to her a little, so we move over to the G19. I demonstrate a nice slow fire in a Weaver stance, and she follows by putting all ten I load for her into CM of the plate. Ok...

So I load a full mag for myself, and shoot at the plate rapid fire style, keeping them all on the plate at about 10 yards. She laughs, says hey, I can do that, and shoots her ten, about one shot a second, and stays totally in the center of the plate.

We clean up, and I take her back to Geist. On our way, she mentions going again tomorow if the weather is nice! :D

So a girl from Geist who grew up in Chicago attending Catholic school who has never had any interest in firearms decided today that this whole shooting thing is a whole lot of fun. She wants to go to an Appleseed, and I mentioned the Lebanon Sheriff's Gunsite classes or the ACT classes, plus Appleseed, and she was definetly interested.

So I may well be getting her a Ruger Mark III with a Pac-Lite upper for her birthday. :D

raeshooting.jpg

Yeah her stance isn't a traditional combat one, but we can work on that at an Appleseed. Sorry for the long post guys, this just is really exciting to me, and I had to share with the INGO family!

P.S. Yes, that's a Mini Grip in her pocket. :D

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    hehe I have that knife :)

Nice to hear, I always enjoy shooting with Kristin, we went Saturday and it was fun. The two of us are thinking about an ACT class some time too!

First thing I thought when I saw that pic was "man, why do all girls lean back like that?" :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo shoots like that, too. I don't think she's leaning as much as sitting on her back hip. Not that it's any better...

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    She shoots like my daughter. Leans back away from the target!

She got better towards the end, but kept shooting me a glare every time I mentioned it to her. Ok, I can take a hint. Sometimes (always?) critique is better from someone who isn't her boyfriend.

And for what it's worth, my friend Sarah tries to do the lean thing too. It may just be a beginning female shooter thing?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And for what it's worth, my friend Sarah tries to do the lean thing too. It may just be a beginning female shooter thing?

I thought it was a martial arts thing with Spasmo, but then I started seeing other female shooters do it, too, so maybe you're on to something.

Then again, maybe THEY'RE onto something and we're missing out!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its GOT to be a newbie female thing. I've seen MANY do the exact same stance.

I like how elegantly she's using her support hand! lol

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    hehe I have that knife :)

Nice to hear, I always enjoy shooting with Kristin, we went Saturday and it was fun. The two of us are thinking about an ACT class some time too!

First thing I thought when I saw that pic was "man, why do all girls lean back like that?" :)

Me too!!!:dunno:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Actually it looks pretty decent to me. Head position could be a little less strained, but hip foreward and elbow resting on bone structure, looks solid and stable.

Smallbore.us

offhand_shadow_med.jpg

Kludge, obviously you're correct. I was actually taught to shoot like this by my grandfather (WWII firearms instructor) and a leader in my Scout troop who competed in small bore.

I guess most of us are so familiar with a hunting or combat stance that a match stance just looks weird. It gets drilled into your head sometimes that the only way to shoot is this way, when there really is more then one way to skin the proverbial cat.

I'd love to get into smallbore one of these days if there's anywhere around here that does it, maybe we can make it a his and hers thing. :D

I like how elegantly she's using her support hand! lol

I actually showed her that, since she was really struggling at the start with her support hand, she was just too worried about her front sight wandering. That's how I learned to shoot an air rifle in grandpa's basement! :D

And yes, elegant is a word that really describes her sometimes. She obviously gets it from me though. :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's more of a "center of gravity" and a balance thing...

A woman's center of gravity is lower than that of a man, even a man of the same height.

She's just compensating for the extra weight that's above and "out" of her center, that's all.

Almost ALL new shooters do it, including men.

Oh, and good on ya' for taking her out to the range!! :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And yes, elegant is a word that really describes her sometimes. She obviously gets it from me though. :n00b:

For you JByer I was thinking more "Kid Rock-ish". :D

And next time you guys hit the range, bring her a small velvet pillow to put between the forend and her palm. That would make it double-elegant! ;)

Jezebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    It's more of a "center of gravity" and a balance thing...

A woman's center of gravity is lower than that of a man, even a man of the same height.

She's just compensating for the extra weight that's above and "out" of her center, that's all.

Almost ALL new shooters do it, including men.

Oh, and good on ya' for taking her out to the range!! :rockwoot:

Yeah, I've been shooting for about 2 years now, and I still lean back when I shoot a rifle/shotgun. My bf tries to correct my stance, and I do try to stand up straight, but every time I do it feels like I'm gonna faceplant. :D

Think about it....my bf's Mossburg is only a little bit shorter than I am, and you want me to stand up straight AND keep the gun parallel to the ground? Wonderwoman, maybe. Jezebel, not so much. :rolleyes:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Think about it....my bf's Mossburg is only a little bit shorter than I am, and you want me to stand up straight AND keep the gun parallel to the ground? Wonderwoman, maybe. Jezebel, not so much. :rolleyes:

Make Josh get you your own youth model then! Buddy of mine's wife (small gal, your size) hated shooting trap with us. Bought her a youth sized gun, viola, now she kicks all of our asses. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    right on man, good to hear she is into it as well! seems most women shoot very well, maybe because they take instructions better than us?..lol

This is the hypothesis of many an instructor...

They LISTEN better.

And they generally don't have any pre-learned bad habits or preconceived notions of how things are "supposed" to be.

-J-

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Jezebel, to stand up staighter/lean foreward for offhand shooting or shooting a shotgun at clay targets or whatever, it's important to move your front foot foreward, men have to do it too, it's not just a girl thing, we're probably just less aware of it. With more upper body strength, men are more apt to "muscle" a gun, it doesn't mean it's right, but everyone will be more stable and more accurate when the stance takes advantage of a persons individual center of gravity.

Indy guy, women DO listen better, its a physiological difference in our brains. MRI research on the brain while listening to speech shows that women use both sides of their brains to process speech and sounds and have a higher abilty to interpret mood an inflection. Men only use one side their brains to process speech. (opinion follows) It's in their (women's) nature and helps insure survival of themselves and their children, and helps them be more empathetic and nurturing.

Top Bottom