• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    My wife's friend is from england and her parent's are here for a few weeks. They came over to visit while i had my room all cluttered with guns i was cleaning. Her friends father asked me "can you have those here?" I told him that you are in america these are common for now. He was totally fascinated about our gun laws. I took him to our local gun shop to show him what it's like to buy one and what you have to do. I asked him if he would like to go shoot, there was no arm twisting on that. After a short briefing on safety i let him go one about 10 guns i brought out. ( he really had a liking for my HK 93 and 91) I asked him if he would like to shoot a three gun match he said he didn't think he was ready for that but he would like to watch. I told him i was going to the three gun in atlanta. He really enjoyed himself there and complemented everyone safety and friendliness at the range. He is hooked now, Just to bad he lives in a country that does not allow it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hey its always good to hear of someone being introduced to guns for the first time in a positive way. Even better it was a poor fellow from a repressive country that has taken so much from their citizens. Good job 3gunshooter, rep'ed for being a good representative.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Good for you. When ever Americans can show people from other countries about responsible gun ownership of guns we all win. Reped for it.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's a great story! :yesway:

Not to hijack, but I've got a similar story...just without the shooting. :D My inlaws were hosting dinner for a class of Korean nursing students. It was a nice dinner; it was nice talking to them about their society, answering questions, stuff like that. Of course there was plenty of nursing talk since my mother in law at the time was a nursing prof and there were other nursing faculty at dinner.

After eating the Korean girls were just sitting around talking more at my inlaws house when they took a quick tour of the house. My father in law has a fantastic gun collection and when the girls got to see his office they were surprised to see so many guns. They were a strange mix of surprised, curious, and a little scared. In Korea, it is a capital crime for a person who isn't involved in the military to own a gun.

So I get my father's Garand out. Me being me, I have to lay out the history of the M1, making it a point to mention that when US troops fought in Korea against the Communists that this was the rifle that many of our troops would have fought with.

What a great audience. :D They listened closely and ooh'ed and ahh'ed as I worked the action and afixed cold steel. :D But the kicker was when I asked the girl next to me if she would like to hold it. You would have thought I had offered her money. She was nervous but she took the M1 and hefted it to her shoulder as best she could. (As part of my ramble about the M1 I had also made it a point to mention safe gun handling and as I demonstrated the action of the rifle I ensured it was unloaded.)

By this time the girls were chatting in Korean to each other, giggling, and smiling. Then one of them got out their camera. They all lined up, I would hand them the rifle, they would giggle, and then one of them would snap a pic of the girl hefting this M1 Garand. All 12 girls handled the rifle and had their picture taken with it.

When they asked why we would have all these guns and questions of those sort I just told them because it was our right as citizens to own them, that handling and shooting them was a lot of fun and made for a nice afternoon outdoors, and that in the case of the Garand that I appreciated owning a piece of history. One of them said "you're so normal, not like a Rambo!"

It was nice because when they left they thanked me for a once in a lifetime chance to handle a real gun.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Excellent work sir. I had an English friend visit and I took him fishing. The first largemouth bass he saw totally blew his mind. It's good for them to see the world outside of their own country. Just imagine his friends reactions when he tells them what he saw and did over here. OO-RAH!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    One of my favorite things in college was hanging out at the international student housing. I lived in a rented house a few doors down. I took every opportunity I had to take them shooting. The conversations and exchange of idea usually went like this:

1. I can't believe you're allowed to OWN that. Is it automatic?
    2. I'd like to go shooting.
    3. When can we go shooting AGAIN?
    4. I wish I could own this in my country.

My hope is that seeds were planted. Freedom is given by God and taken away by man.

Top Bottom