• ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Good afternoon everyone!

I wanted to swing by INGO and sing the praises of one of today's youth. This BY NO MEANS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT!!! Now that is out of the way....read on!

I work with a fella at the firehouse who's son is 15 years old. This kid is getting into videography...at 15...with real professional equipment that HE bought. I know a lot of us older guys critique and over critique the motivation of the younger crowd. This kid gets it. His goal is to save enough money from his work to buy himself a Tesla before his 16th birthday. He takes a portion of what he makes off of his productions and saves it, a portion he buys new equipment to do more work. SMART!

I hired him to do a video for a family member's memorial party. This kid came in, was professional, stood in the background, and captured some of the best moments of the party.

He then came to me and asked if he could do a commercial at my shop. I hesitated at first, but, then thought, why not? Here's the final production: https://youtu.be/GOQ_rHoT4LU

I'm just very overwhelmed at the quality of work this young man does. He already has commercials lined up with local fire departments, orchards, and real estate agents. All of them, customers he has secured!

What say you INGO? Has someone impressed you with their work lately?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very impressive.

What's sad is that for every teen like this one, there are x number of others who just want to flip burgers, do their jobs very poorly, but expect a minimum of $15 for their "labor".

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    That's cool. That kid will go places!

Some kids DO want to work and do well at it. My oldest son just turned 17. He started working at 15 at McDonalds and did a great job there. He showed up every day, on time, and worked hard with a very positive attitude the whole time he was there. He did that for about a year and a half. He left for awhile due to school and they recruited him back. He negotiated higher pay. I was proud of that. What made me most proud were two things. First, many of his co-workers were work release and were struggling drug addicts. He treated them with love and respect. The other was the way he handled angry, rude, and flat out nasty customers, which in fast food, is epidemic. He never took it personally and never ran off to get the manager. He took initiative to do what was needed to solve problems and make them happy. He actually got compliments to the managers from some of the rudest of them. But when the worst ones cursed at him or yelled at him, he let it roll off his back with ease and just didn't let them get under his skin, maintaining his composure and positive attitude the whole time. With all that, he will tell you he loved working there.

He now works at Walmart stocking shelves in the grocery. He says he loves that, too. He's making good money and saving up a nest egg to start an investment account. He's also taking money off the top to give to our church.

He's a junior at Ben Davis University High School and is earning an Associates Degree at the same time as his high school diploma and is doing well. He will enter college ultimatelyi as a junior.

I'm pretty tough and demanding on this kid, and he's risen to the challenge. He's not a perfect kid, but I know he's better than me. He's going to do well in this crazy world I believe. He loves challenges and loves to work and treats people with love and respect. I can't ask for more than that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very heartening to hear stories of hardworking youth.

My son started working at Office Max when he was 16. Worked there for a year or two and then started working at a nature preserve that was privately owned. Did 5 demanding years of college while working part time and now has a full time mechanical engineering job for a world class company, working in OH. He lives on his own and has a great job, with a great salary at 25.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know what's more impressive - the kid's work or your 'stache.

But as a FORMER shutter bug - two minor niggles: It SEEMS that the video is too dark overall. And the white balance seems off a bit.

Other than that - there's no way that *I* could do that work.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Good to hear positive stories of our young people.

I have a Chemical Engineer , an IT Engineer and an ICU RN for kids. Have posted before that I work at a High School with students that need help with behavior or studies. Nice to see the successes!

Don

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That, Principle Skinr is a direct result of how he was raised and you are to be both congratulated and thanked. I won't yak about negative stuff but this country could sure use more young men and women like your son.

Top Bottom