• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Indy Star this morning highlights the new Federal tax on cigarettes adding another $.62 per pack to a total of $1.00 per pack. Indiana recently raised the state tax to $1.00 per pack. A pack of cigarettes will now cost about $5.00.

The new federal increase alone represents a 163% increase in taxation on a minority of the population. Have there been any protests? Has the majority come to the defense of their brothers even though they don't smoke? Nah, its the 'other guy', it doesn't effect me and besides, they shouldn't smoke anyway.

The Feds see this. They understand that raising taxes on an activity they disapprove of is the easiest way to squeeze it out of existance. Your future will see large increases in taxes on ammo. You are a minority of the population. Will the majority come to the defense of their brothers even though they don't own guns? Nah, its the 'other guy', it doesn't effect me and they shouldn't have those guns anyway.

Divide and conquer. Still the best military strategy in the book. It works in politics too. All you non-smoking gun owners better get up in arms about taxes like the tobacco tax because you're next.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Agreed. Some of the brands are actually OVER $5 per pack. I not a cigarette smoker but I see the exact same thing you do with the parallel between cigarette/tobacco taxes and guns/ammo attacks.

The strategies are even the same in how they attack cigarettes and guns. Some areas it is illegal to smoke in the car with kids. You also have to lock your guns up if you have kids. There are a lot of similar issues between the two.

Demonize the behavior. Then regulate the hell out of it.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The thing that might backfire is that there are so many new people getting an interest in firearms. We can only hope that a number of these people keep at least a minimum interest.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You're correct it MAY backfire, but look at the tactics used. The tactics are very similar. People who have guns but don't like smoking may not see it, and I understand why people don't like smoking, but gun owners need to look at how other pastimes/industries have been attacked/taxed/demonized/regulated to see what tactics are used against guns.

It is very clear what is happening. And as pointed out in the original post, they are going after ammo (and probably other accessories) with taxes and regulations just like they went after tobacco.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Don't forget that both the state and federal government has claimed that the tax money will go towards healthcare for poor children. I mean, who doesn't want poor kids to get healthcare?

Remember, when people DO start quitting due to costs, then, if they are truly using this money to fund healthcare programs, what are they going to tax to keep that revenue stream alive?

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    What I find humorous about the whole tax issue is that the more you raise taxes on cigaretttes, the less people will smoke. BUT, while it may be part of the agenda to get folks to quit, Washington and our lovely state governments are hopelessly addicted to our tax dollars..... ergo, when they start losing revenue from lack of sales (even with raised taxes), they will be forced to raise taxes on other items to make up for it. SO, the only real way to combat this endless chain of abusive taxation is to give them what they want..... and ram it down their throats! Have a nationwide moratorium on the purchase of smokes, for 1 month. Can you imagine the look on the faces of the folks who try to stick us daily? Screams of protest would be able to be heard from all corners of the country, as the coffers run dry! What used to be a viable source of income for the states and federal government disappeared in the blink of an eye! :-)

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    Those crooked bastards in Washington make me sick. It's like death by a thousand paper cuts. What kind of unfair tax is next? Taxes are way out of control and no one seems to care. You have to give them credit, they implementing new taxes in a way most people won't even realize just how bad they are getting f**ked over!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    What I have never understood (okay I do but it pisses me off), is why if providing health care for poor children is such an important societal concern that everyone shouldn't chip in to provide it. They are so concerned about it, that they want to pick out one group of people (demographically including more poor people) to pick up the bill for the program.

Don't forget this is also going to hurt the cigar smokers. As everyone knows this is the nicest group of people in America so why go after them...

I think this is all a separate and conquer strategy. Everyone hates dirty nasty smokers... they need to quit or be punished anyway. We would like to find a way to do this to drinkers as well, but there may be too many of them. So if they get pissed off they may do something about it. We will find another group like gun owners next to drive into the ground. After that who knows...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Write your reps, the attorney general, the governor, the state reps, the president, the police chief, the janitor at the local school, the school board, your neighbors. Use your imagination! Write EVERYONE!

When I heard about the tax increase I bought 4 cans of American Spirit tobacco and had been buying more every payday since. I've only got about 8 cans, but that's about 8 cartons of smokes set back for when I stop buying a pack a day. THis is how I will try to do my part to "Stick it to em" if there's a Nationwide "No Buy Month" on smokes. That would be awesome though! I'm in!

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Have there been any protests? Has the majority come to the defense of their brothers even though they don't smoke? Nah, its the 'other guy', it doesn't effect me and besides, they shouldn't smoke anyway.

Perhaps it's because I spend all my "defend the smokers" time picking up their cigarette butts out of my yard.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    As all of you motorcycle riders know there was a $25.00 mandatory donation for head trama tacked on to your plate and registration fees. (Because motorcycles a evil and dangerous) Hmmmmm so if mine were black would it be an Evil Black Motorcycle?? Great something else they might decide to ban.

Anyway back to my post.

It was fought and it is now GONE baby. It was deemed illegal that we be charged that. People need to stand up for each other even if you don't agree with it because freedoms aren't taken overnight, they are slowly removed so only the few notice.

I am a smoker (wish I wasn't) and am listed on the on the petition to congress about the legality of this tax.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Perhaps it's because I spend all my "defend the smokers" time picking up their cigarette butts out of my yard.

QFT. While I don't have a particular problem with smokers, they are the biggest group of litterers I've ever seen. If they want to smoke, it's none of my business, but they lost any support from me the day one of them flicked a butt out the window which went through my sunroof and started a small fire in my back seat.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    PC Disclaimer:Don't take this wrong, I don't want to offend anyone, sorry if I do.

Does it seem just a bit hypocritical that people who proclaim to be civil libertarians are all for the government trampling the rights of one group of people, because they find some of that group's behavior offensive. Wait gee whiz... that almost sounds like what is happening to our gun rights...

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    "The power to tax is the power to destroy". Don't recall who said it, but it's true.

Ain't it funny that you never hear anybody proposing the enactment of a restrictive new law or massive tax increase on anything because " 'X' is something I do that I know is wrong and/or bad for me, so I want you to make it illegal or tax the Whee! out of it so I won't do it anymore"? It always seems to be something that they don't want somebody else (you and I, for instance) to do, isn't it?

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Well, Marlboro Red's are now $5.16 at my local speedway. So I am going cold turkey, hopefully I can kick it. I always said if they hit $5 a pack I was going to quit.

Top Bottom