• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Im4NDU

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Mishawaka
    What are your thoughts/opinions on cleaning a competition style revolver? I have heard from people both ways on cleaning the barrel. Some do some don't; if you do clean it why, if you don't why not?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I probably put 9k-10k rounds down my 625 each year in practice and matches. I NEVER clean the barrel. Why? It has never indicated to me that it needed it. If bullets started tumbling or accuracy went south and the usual suspects were ruled out I might consider putting a cleaning rod through it. Plus, when you're pushing that many rounds down a barrel, any way you can reduce wear, such as cleaning, is a good move. Of course, these are all lead rounds. If I was putting copper through it, I might touch it up ever now and then.

In the interest of full disclosure, the only barrel on any of my guns that I clean is my rifles after deer season or after a match. I find that a cold, dirty barrel on any weapon gives me the best accuracy.:twocents:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    625 with major power factor 230 lead bullets.

I clean the recoil shield area of fouling after every match and brush the ratchet area and under it for residue making sure its clean. Then I run a .357 wornout brush wrapped in copper chore boy on a drill thru the chambers to clean them up.
    I pull the side plate off every 2000-3000 rounds to lube and usually run a brush thru the bore at the same time.
    Unless you run into a batch of soft bullets that lead the barrel I wouldn't worry about it. Just give it a look after every match and shoot it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I won't speak for a revo, but both my open gun (~50k on it) and my last production gun (also about 50k on it) only saw bore brushes maybe twice! Fully jacketed bullets.

Haven't cleaned the bore of my new production gun yet (~5k).

-rvb

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Unless you run into a batch of soft bullets that lead the barrel

What about green moly-coated bullets:)::D

:): I spent several hours looking for my Lewis Lead Remover that I haven't seen since we moved a few years ago. Ordered a new one before I tackled that barrel:D.
    To be fair that barrel was messed up before I got the gun and I'm looking for replacement for it. Those bullets also leaded my main gun but not any where as bad, so I will have to try them in the bottomfeeder some day.
    Could be a revolver thing with those bullets but until they harden them up some more I'll have to stick with what I have been using for the past 18 months.:yesway:

Im4NDU

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Mishawaka
    I appreciate the help. I had one guy tell me if I shoot lead (which I do for competition) to just shoot some FMJ's to clean out the barrel afterwards.

Im4NDU

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Mishawaka
    :):
    To be fair that barrel was messed up before I got the gun and I'm looking for replacement for it. Those bullets also leaded my main gun but not any where as bad, so I will have to try them in the bottomfeeder some day.:yesway:

If you're looking for a guy who can change out your barrel I can recommend Joe Leininger of Brush Creek. He custom built my Model 64 and he can do several Gunsmithing things.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I appreciate the help. I had one guy tell me if I shoot lead (which I do for competition) to just shoot some FMJ's to clean out the barrel afterwards.

I bulged a barrel this way.

Don't mix lead and jacketed without a quick clean between. A bore snake through the barrel 1 time is plenty, other than that, I never clean pistol barrels.

Top Bottom