• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    How about the Star pistols, are they still cheap and plentiful?

I know they're not true 1911's but the controls and functions are the same. If you are looking for a cheap plinker anyways

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've considered the Ruger 1911, but the prices have gone way up on them. I seem to remember them on sale for $599 a couple of years ago? I'd go $600-$650 on a Ruger before I'd get a Rock Island or Tisas for $450. But the least expensive Ruger on GunBroker right now is $900, so that's out. Might wait for the Rugers to come back down in price, I think they eventually will.
    My $0.02 worth as well...for a long-term product, get a Ruger SR1911...great product for the $$ spent!
    I have a stainless Ruger Commander 1911 and it feeds absolutely everything I throw at it very well!
    Accurate as heck too...I've outshot guys with Colts and often match Springfield's shot-for-shot, and mine
    is a Commander-length barrel (4.25") not the full-sized (5") barrels as many with whom I've shot with!
    Wife had a bob-tail installed for my birthday in 2018...love it even more now! :)

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've never fired a Tisas but have handled one at the 1500 and it seemed pretty solid but that's the only impression I have. I've had a Tisas Hi-Power and that was a nice gun. If I had to choose between the Tisas and a Rock i'd take the Tisas.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I find myself wanting to buy a Tisas now just to see what they are like. I’ve owned a bunch of 1911s from Rock Island at the bottom up to an Ed Brown at the top. From what I’ve seen looking at the USGI 1911s in the collection, if you really want a reproduction of a USGI 1911, you are probably looking at the bottom end of the market, not the top. Production standards on today’s mid-tier and above guns is way, way higher than the war built 1911s. The interior of the frame on my Remington Rand looks like it was milled with a dull, chipped rotary file. The external surfaces look like they were milled with 60 grit sandpaper. But, that’s what I love about those guns. They were tools built for a war and as long as they worked, nobody cared for the fine finish.

My RIA was closer to those USGI guns than any of my DW, Colts or Sigs. The idea of a USGI style, wide spur hammer, tiny sight repro is appealing for some odd reason to me.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I find myself wanting to buy a Tisas now just to see what they are like. I’ve owned a bunch of 1911s from Rock Island at the bottom up to an Ed Brown at the top. From what I’ve seen looking at the USGI 1911s in the collection, if you really want a reproduction of a USGI 1911, you are probably looking at the bottom end of the market, not the top. Production standards on today’s mid-tier and above guns is way, way higher than the war built 1911s. The interior of the frame on my Remington Rand looks like it was milled with a dull, chipped rotary file. The external surfaces look like they were milled with 60 grit sandpaper. But, that’s what I love about those guns. They were tools built for a war and as long as they worked, nobody cared for the fine finish.

My RIA was closer to those USGI guns than any of my DW, Colts or Sigs. The idea of a USGI style, wide spur hammer, tiny sight repro is appealing for some odd reason to me.
    Yeah, I carried a few like that, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Rough would be an understatement. Not to mention so worn out they felt like if you shook them too hard they'd fall apart.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yeah, I carried a few like that, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Rough would be an understatement. Not to mention so worn out they felt like if you shook them too hard they'd fall apart.
    I bet they field stripped easily. My new 10mm is still very tight it doesn't even rattle with a full magazine in it. I talked to a friend that has owned 1911's for many years he said around 2,000 rds is when they are really shot in and running like they should be. Does a 1911 actually get smother with higher round count?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    "Rattle am bad!"

Properly lubed and maintained your 10mm would maintain it's tightness.

My Remington Rand in the Corps sounded like a bell choir every time you picked it up. It couldn't hit the floor with it's hat...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I bet they field stripped easily. My new 10mm is still very tight it doesn't even rattle with a full magazine in it. I talked to a friend that has owned 1911's for many years he said around 2,000 rds is when they are really shot in and running like they should be. Does a 1911 actually get smother with higher round count?
    Yeah, they'd about fall apart.
    "Rattle am bad!"

Properly lubed and maintained your 10mm would maintain it's tightness.

My Remington Rand in the Corps sounded like a bell choir every time you picked it up. It couldn't hit the floor with it's hat...
    With all that play between the barrel and bushing I think it would be pure luck to hit anything.
    Q: How many here use to do the pencil trick to develop your 1911 shooting skills?
    That's what we did.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    put a pencil in the barrel pointed up (with gun cocked but empty). pull trigger. it should hit the ceiling with some force if the hammer, firing pin, etc. is functioning properly

That part I’m familiar with. It’s the mention of improvement of skills with a pencil that I was not familiar with (outside of John Wick movies). :)

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    You can get a SA milspec if you wish...With that being said I would tend to agree with others about spending a little more and going with a Springfield if you can find one

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That part I’m familiar with. It’s the mention of improvement of skills with a pencil that I was not familiar with (outside of John Wick movies). :)
    You tape a piece of paper on the wall with a single small dot on it. Cock the hammer with the pencil seated in the chamber. Hold it to where the tip of the pencil is about an inch from the paper, aim at the dot and pull trigger. The idea is to make as small of a dot from the impacts as possible. Great for building muscle memory and control. The Corps was too cheap to give us ammo for practice, they made a film on this instead.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You can get a SA milspec if you wish...With that being said I would tend to agree with others about spending a little more and going with a Springfield if you can find one
    One in stock at closing time today at Shoot Point Blank in Greenwood. $569.99.

1911.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One in stock at closing time today at Shoot Point Blank in Greenwood. $569.99.

1911.jpg
    Not a bad price.. I would've probably pulled the trigger on that and purchased it if I had come across it. Even with taxes a little over $600 OTD. Still not bad for a solid performer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom