TiminFlorida is going hog hunting. 3 hogs for $200. You can join.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Ok,
    I'm checking out the cheap, and I mean dirt cheap, hog hunting operations in Florida and I found this one: wild hog hunting florida boarhog cedar key central florida levy county archery hog hunt

It's near Cedar Key, Florida. Now I've never been to Cedar Key before last weekend and I have to say this little place is an undiscovered sportsman's haven. I have a hunt booked next Sunday. If anyone wants to jump in, you can get in on the 3 hog special for 200 bucks too. That's not $200 each. That's $200 total for 3 hogs. It's nothing special I've negotiated - you can get it at any time. I'm just throwing it out there to see if I can get more hooligans to make it more fun. :) Add another $30 per hog and they will butcher it and put it on ice for you. That's a dirt cheap hog hunt and real close to Cedar Key - a pretty darn good fishing area I've found. I caught the black drum here sitting on the pier a couple hours with some shrimp, but there are plenty of charters out here for another three hundred bucks. Basically it comes down to Cedar Key is the kind of area you can do a day of chartered deep sea fishing for grouper and a day of hog hunting for $500 plus tips. However, you can fish off the pier and hook into something like this guy I took last weekend: Black Drum.jpg

Have I tempted any of you yet to clear plans for next weekend? ;) If you fly in to Gainesville, Florida you'll be darn close. If not, keep this in mind for future reference. I will report the results next weekend but it looks very promising. I'm going out there with a Sharps 45-70, a Henry .45 LC Big Boy and a Sage Recurve bow. The plan is to try and take one with the sage but I'll have other options with me if I can't get in range.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh how I'd love to just be able to hop in the car and head down!

*sigh*... life gets in the way, though!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Never posted the after-hunt results. It was a great day and I took the 1874 Sharps reproduction with 405 grain soft points out to see how it would do. It was perfect boar medicine. The two on the left were a two for one. I shot the middle one through the heart. It passed through and hit the little one in the head. The big one was facing away and the guide told me to shoot it before it ran off, even though it was facing away. That gave me one shot option - the Texas heart shot. The .45/70 went in, went through the liver and heart and all the way into the brain before it stopped. The boar curled up and dropped on the spot. The 45/70 is just a phenomenal round. Didn't destroy much in the way of meat on the way either. Time to make some sausage. (FYI, there were some more charges beyond the $200 for guide tipping and skinning, quartering, icing. PM me for details before you book with them.)

DSC_0068.JPG

Last edited:

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Thanks for posting that, and your review as well, I have bookmarked their site. My 11 year old son and I have started doing a little hunting, and he absolutely loves to fish. So this could be one heck of a boys trip without breaking the bank.

Top Bottom