• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Yet another trip to Thunder Valley Precision in Coshocton, Ohio.

TVP is one of those “heaven on earth” type places. Owner Tom Sarver, who lives 100 yards from the range, is the most hospitable host I’ve ever encounter. He’s a world record shooter, and a master rifle builder. One of those “if you have to ask how much, you can’t afford it” type rifle builders. And he can’t stop taking orders. He’s that good. I have family connections to him from back in the day and have spent a lot of time with Tom talking life, long range, and firearms. He’s an incredible and inspirational person, and an even better instructor. TVP features a shooting range with perfectly level concrete shooting benches (25?) under a pavilion with steel targets at different yardages… 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1760. At open range days during the week, expect plenty of space, time and relaxation. For Global Benchrest Association 1k yards and 1-mile competitions, there are a plethora of stands for scoring targets too. For ELR matches, he has a pavilion that shoots out to 2400 yards on steel.

The property of hundreds of acres closes for private training and “courses”. Head Hunter, Intimidator, and Short Course are challenge based courses, and I’ve now done all but Intimidator. Head hunter features targets from a few hundred to 625ish yards if I recall. Steel silhouettes with popper heads. In the most complicated wind conditions you’ve even seen, you get one shot at each target, firing 20 rounds all day. No mulligans on any shots due to wind misread, and headshots only count to score. I scored a 12/20, though I expected to shoot a 1 or 2/20.

Today, we did a course of fire with new distances for Short Course. Most targets were 380-600 yards, and were tiny 12x12 targets. You get three shots per target, scoring 10, 5, 2, or 0 points.

You caravan around rolling hills over the acreage in trucks to different shooting positions, and run time sensitive matches on a series of 4 targets from each shooting position from 200-600 yards. 1-2 spotters call shots, while a two person team work with each other on active corrections, wind holds and changes, etc as they shoot.

Similar to headhunter, a lot of guys go “Oh, under 600 yards? That’s stupid, not worth my time.” The kind of guys that shoot PRS. EASY? THEN COME SHOOT IT and shock yourself on 12” targets in extreme wind complications.

If you want to be proficient at achieving head shots (head hunter) or vital shot (short course) in the most challenging wind conditions in the world, taking into account many crosswinds, headwinds and tailwinds, these courses are for you.

Great group of guys and gals turned out from all over as usual today.

Crappy shooters talk about calibers. Better shooters talk about load development, SD, ES, seating depth nodes, and sub 1/4 moa groups.

Real shooters talk about wind.

Top Bottom