• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Synopsis: Requires helmets for all people under 18 on ATV's. No exceptions as written.

I'm all for being safe, and I'm all for everybody wearing helmets especially on ATV's DRIVEN BY those under 18... but as the law is written, if I'm just poking along in my yard at a snails-pace, with a load of mulch in the bed of my Polaris Ranger, doing some landscaping, my 2 year old daughter sitting beside me (or on my lap etc) must wear a helmet, which I think is a bit ridiculous.

Thoughts?

I think I'm going to call my rep tomorrow.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    true also they dont have to buy a $50+ helmet every year as they grow. i have 4 kids, they should be safe but wonder if they would be ok with bike helmets.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Lord knows how we all lived this long riding bicycles as kids without the helmets,knee pads,elbow pads,eye protection,with the skinned knees,pant legs in the chain,only a rear brake,loose handlebars,5speed shifter in the sack,loose handgrips,and those wide SLICK rear tires.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If this only applied to public roads, I'd be okay with it.

The government telling you what you're allowed to do on your own property is a different matter entirely, absolutely no.
    If you've ever lived on or near a farm, you know this is a common means of getting your mail, hauling a cart around, or pulling up tree stumps. What next, are they going to demand you wear a helmet while driving a tractor? Make you wear a helmet while mowing the lawn?

Absolutely ridiculous.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My kid will wear a helmet every time he's on an ATV; but it's none of the government's business if he does...
    I agree.I have made it this long on a scooter,and alot of no helmet years,I am back to wearing a halfie again.Kids don't get on theirs w/o helmet and eye protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have spoken with CO's who have to investigate ATV "accidents." Most have said, "I have teenagers, so I DON'T have ATV's."

Think this will be a nuisance law like the seat belt and child restraint laws, with no real penalty other than a small fine?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Saw a 14yo kid knock himself out of an ATV Unhelmeted. Bad luck he landed face down in a stream.

had an Unhelmeted teen on a dirt bike today in the ER for a head injury

part of me would like the law, but most of me realizes it will get ignored and probably not worth doing.

accidents happen with 2yo kids in ATVs and quad carts. Are you sure you won't pass out with your foot on the gas? Have a seizure? Heart attack? Are you sure?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I don't plan on having my boys wear helmets in my roll-caged Ranger, on my own land, while wearing seatbelts, doing 5mph.

if I were doing serious trail riding, I'd feel different...but I don't so I don't.

Kids wear helmets while on ATVs at my parents' farm...but in the Gator or a roll-caged, 4-pointed kart???

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't like the gubmint spec-ing out my riding attire either. But wearing a helmet is cheap insurance when we're discussing our beloved children. CO's will back this simply because they can't find it in their hearts to let Darwins Law play out in the real world. ( Maybe the planet would be better off without some people's kids..) They get to go find your Kidd when the the quad has turned over on him in the creek (helmet wouldn't help) or thrown him down a ravine after rolling over him. I expect seeing that very often would start to affect you psychologically.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey. I have an idea. Let's pass a law that makes it illegal to do stupid ****. As the punishment, the perpetrator has to live with the natural consequences of his stupidity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't like the gubmint spec-ing out my riding attire either. But wearing a helmet is cheap insurance when we're discussing our beloved children. CO's will back this simply because they can't find it in their hearts to let Darwins Law play out in the real world. ( Maybe the planet would be better off without some people's kids..) They get to go find your Kidd when the the quad has turned over on him in the creek (helmet wouldn't help) or thrown him down a ravine after rolling over him. I expect seeing that very often would start to affect you psychologically.

I can not even imagine how finding some of these things would effect me.

In all of this I see both sides. But Government has no right to "Tell" me/us what we can or can not do on our own land.

Thing is, as long as they tax us on our land it is not really ours now is it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Stupid feel good law. About all it will accomplish is give some .govs another small revenue stream.

Our governments need to get out of the business of passing laws to try to protect us from ourselves.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have spoken with CO's who have to investigate ATV "accidents." Most have said, "I have teenagers, so I DON'T have ATV's."

Think this will be a nuisance law like the seat belt and child restraint laws, with no real penalty other than a small fine?
    Teenagers do some stupid :poop:. Laws won't stop it. Fines won't stop it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am against the law and fully in favor of everyone wearing a helmet. In fact I think it's stupid not to and shows a lack of concern for kids if they are allowed to ride without.

Top Bottom