Thoughts for .308 Gun Site Scout Optics???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Curious if you keep the factory sites and add long eye relief scope (in which case how long of relief did you go with??)
    or remove and go with a traditional scope mount??

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a Burris 2.75X Scout scope on one of my scout rifle. It is an Argentine Mauser in 30.06. It works great. The Leopold scout scope is an option too, at twice the price, but not twice the quality of the Burris.

I have another scout rifle in .308 with a 2X pistol scope on it. It works just as good as the the Burris. At least so far.

I don't think you get to choose how long the "L" in LER is. You just buy a LER pistol scope or a scout scope and mount it forward of the receiver. I think......

Not a criticism but, it seems a waste of money to buy a scout rifle and put a conventional scope on it.

Bottom line? For less than 300 bucks try the Burris Scout Scope on your rifle. And keep the iron sights. The point is, ya just never know...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depending on eye relief of the scope and how long you set the LOP at, I've seen some people mount a conventional scope to the rifle, but use a QD forward mount for an AR and mount it backwards so the extension brings the scope closer to you.

It's kind of nice to do that way because it's a regular scope, if you ever decide to just run irons you have a spare usable scope. If you get a scout scope/long eye relief scope, it's pretty limited in terms of mounting it to other rifles

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a Burris 2.75X Scout scope on one of my scout rifle. It is an Argentine Mauser in 30.06. It works great. The Leopold scout scope is an option too, at twice the price, but not twice the quality of the Burris.

I have another scout rifle in .308 with a 2X pistol scope on it. It works just as good as the the Burris. At least so far.

I don't think you get to choose how long the "L" in LER is. You just buy a LER pistol scope or a scout scope and mount it forward of the receiver. I think......

Not a criticism but, it seems a waste of money to buy a scout rifle and put a conventional scope on it.

Bottom line? For less than 300 bucks try the Burris Scout Scope on your rifle. And keep the iron sights. The point is, ya just never know...

The Burris runs around $250 from Midway, my Leupold FXII was less than $50 more. Not meaning to split hairs here, but twice the price is not very accurate. I'm also not discounting the Burris, they make an excellent scope for the money. But I'm a Leupold fan, admittedly though for mostly nostalgic reasons.

Depending on eye relief of the scope and how long you set the LOP at, I've seen some people mount a conventional scope to the rifle, but use a QD forward mount for an AR and mount it backwards so the extension brings the scope closer to you.

It's kind of nice to do that way because it's a regular scope, if you ever decide to just run irons you have a spare usable scope. If you get a scout scope/long eye relief scope, it's pretty limited in terms of mounting it to other rifles

That would work, but the problem I see is 2 things. 1) would be how high the scope would be mounted, and 2) it kinds of looses the whole point of the scout style optic.

Agreed, but the waste of money occurred when he bought a rifle designed for a scout scope not when he considered how to fix the mistake.

Though I respect your opinion, that's exactly what that statement is. Some guys love the scout setup, some hate it, and many are in between. Personally, I'm a fan and have found it to be a very effective tool on whitetail, especially when they are on the move. It's kind of a nice bridge between irons / red dot and a standard magnified optic. I've probably spent more time on carbines than long range stuff, so the option to have both eyes open while operating the gun really appeals to me. The scout rifle was one of those things where I picked it up, ran it for a bit, and it just felt second nature to me. If your from the other camp of shooting though, I can definitely see where you would favor a standard scope setup.

I'd encourage the OP to set the gun up as it was designed to do. If possible, mount your scout style optic In a set of QD rings too, so that you can utilize the irons in a pinch. You should also give the Ching Sling a shot. I've really grown to like it. Jeff Cooper was an interesting guy, and wrote a ton on his scout rifle concept. I'd also recommend reading "The Principles of Self Defense". It's kind of one of those mandatory must reads if your a gun guy.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Here's picture of mine. The sling is a Galco Ching Sling, simply because I didn't want to add a second swivel. The optic is a Leupold FXII in a set of low Leupold QRW rings. I like the setup so well, that I'm doing the same with my newly acquired Scout Squad M1A

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That would work, but the problem I see is 2 things. 1) would be how high the scope would be mounted, and 2) it kinds of looses the whole point of the scout style optic.

I'd encourage the OP to set the gun up as it was designed to do. If possible, mount your scout style optic In a set of QD rings too,

It would get the scope a little up there, depending on how someone would shoulder the rifle would deem this method usable or not. Even if it's a little high, it would allow quick shouldering and target acquisition. Give and take.

But it seems a few amount of people let their scout rifle be a scout rifle (I still want to smack Ruger for making it in 223)

Agreed on the QD mount/rings regardless of choice. 1 piece AR mount, or QD rings form Larue, Leupold, ADM, etc. Just quality rings, not the UTG junk

Here's a pic of the reverse extension mount (GSR user review & thoughts with pics. - Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum)

s1mb5y.jpg

Pic courtesy of AZTimT

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The height issue is a pretty easy obstacle to overcome with a stock riser. And one thing I do like about that setup is the rear sight didn't need to be removed to mount the scope farther back.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    @tradertater

My comment was more a poke in Sloughfoot's ribs than anything else. He and I have not gone back and forth about scout scopes in about a year. That was the last time I commented on a scout scope thread.

Fact of the matter is I really do HATE scout scopes due to mathematical fact, but there is no way I'm beating that horse again. Carry on with the thread, I just thought I should give some back story.

Top Bottom