• ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    So, a) I haven't been around in a long, long, looooooong time and
    b) I've since downsized what I own and rarely OC anymore, or for that matter CC (life problems, is complex)

However, I stumbled across this today, and was right proud of this kid and what all he said to this officer.
    I feel like I need to be much more well versed, because I know I've lost a little bit of my knowledge over time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAlRDGUx-B8

Trust me, it's worth the watching.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I guess my time is move valuable then to waste it trying to **** with the cops. He should just get a big sign that says look at me. This LEO did an awesome job.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Not sure how to feel about this. The student knew his stuff, that's awesome, and I'm glad to see that him exercising his right to carry. But at the same time, I think the student was disrespectful to a cop who was simply trying to do his job...not saying the student was at a fault, just that it was unneeded...

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Not sure how to feel about this. The student knew his stuff, that's awesome, and I'm glad to see that him exercising his right to carry. But at the same time, I think the student was disrespectful to a cop who was simply trying to do his job...not saying the student was at a fault, just that it was unneeded...

im inclined to agree. It's a tough situation because you don't want to lose the right and simply comply because "I said so" - but I wondered what would have happened if he complied, and then filed a suit. I dunno how I feel about this incident.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    It's give and take. This cop wasn't being an ass about it. He has a job to the same as the rest if us. Mutual respect goes a long way. This kid didn't have any for the Leo. This was a waste of time for both people. This kid was trying to bait someone into this. Why else would you oc and pull out a camera as soon as a Leo shows up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's give and take. This cop wasn't being an ass about it.

So would you allow your home or body cavities to be searched without PC or even suspicion of a crime so long as they aren't being an ass about it?
    At what point would you personally exercise your right to politely decline or correct an officer attempting to overstep the bounds of his authority and your rights?

He has a job to the same as the rest if us.

And that job has many defined limits. One can't claim unlimited power simply because they have a job.

Mutual respect goes a long way. This kid didn't have any for the Leo.

I didn't note any disrespect, perhaps you could be more clear what you're referring to.

This was a waste of time for both people.

Indeed. There was no excuse for the officer to continue beyond a consensual conversation with the detainment, seizure of firearm, etc. The young man who was detained certainly did not consent or contribute to the waste.

This kid was trying to bait someone into this.

You mean like when the police use bait cars to entice car thieves? Not really, he was going about his everyday business while lawfully armed. If someone considers that bait (and takes it no less, hook, line and sinker) that's on them.

Why else would you oc and pull out a camera as soon as a Leo shows up.

Because OC is legal without a permit (where this happened) and he had been unlawfully detained and harassed by the police before. Recording is a very wise protection measure as stories tend to change on reports and later in court.

I find your opinions of this interaction disturbing.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    It's give and take. This cop wasn't being an ass about it. He has a job to the same as the rest if us. Mutual respect goes a long way. This kid didn't have any for the Leo. This was a waste of time for both people. This kid was trying to bait someone into this. Why else would you oc and pull out a camera as soon as a Leo shows up.

I agree with this to a point. The cop really wasn't being rude or anything of the sort, which was somewhat surprising considering how disrespectful the kid was being.

That being said, the kid was inside his rights, and the cop shouldn't have kept him any longer than he had to...ass or not

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I agree with this to a point. The cop really wasn't being rude or anything of the sort, which was somewhat surprising considering how disrespectful the kid was being.

That being said, the kid was inside his rights, and the cop shouldn't have kept him any longer than he had to...ass or not

Maybe you can answer my questions above as well.

Then please explain why you believe the cop had cause to detain him in the first place.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Maybe you can answer my questions above as well.

Then please explain why you believe the cop had cause to detain him in the first place.

I am not as familiar with the law as I should be, nor am I trying to step on toes here. Just giving an opinion...I'm not trying to start an argument, I could very well be wrong and I will gladly accept that.

Now that the disclaimer is over...

I believe the cop had cause to stop the kid and ask because it was his job to do so. There was a call made saying a man was walking around with a gun, I don't think that the cop could have said, "Was he doing anything illegal? No? Well then I'm sorry, I can't do anything." He was doing his job by responding to a phone call made. Should he have kept him there and refused to let the student leave? I don't believe so. Should he have continued to refuse the kid after he repeatedly acknowledged laws that prevented him from doing so? No. But do I think that he should have taken 30 seconds to address the situation and then go on his way, knowing the student was in his rights? Yes.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Disclaimer noted.

He had no cause to detain. It is most certainly not his job to stop a person simply for being armed in a state where it is legal to do so.

Even if they get 100 calls from citizens who are unaware that it is perfectly legal, the most they should do is drive by and ensure the carrier is not doing anything which would cause suspicion of any actual criminal activity.

Holding the opinion that the lawful carrier was disrespectful, based on the video where he calmly and politely attempts to maintain his right to be free of unreasonable searches, seizures and detainment is baffling me. He called the officer sir, gave him correct info and even said thank you when he was finally allowed to leave (only after the supervisor rightly released him.)

Politely maintaining ones rights is not disrespectful. Infringing upon someone's rights, no matter how politely, is.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Appreciated.

I agree that a drive by would have been in order, and I would have zero problem with that.

I watched it again. The student's extensive knowledge of the law made it seem like he was talking down to the officer, almost rubbing his (the students) education in the officer's face. While this is obviously not the case, as he was simply bringing up points of interest to defend his right to oc, I think we can agree that this is not too far-fetched of an idea...

The student's education just made him seem almost snobbish, like he was waiting for someone to ask him about it just so he could use the knowledge he had readily available. (Which I have no real problem with...I am guilty of this occasionally)

He was respectful in the way he addressed the officer, and that is great. His tone just rubbed me the wrong way. Instead of using it as a teaching moment for all parties involved, it seemed as if he was trying to make a fool of a man who was just doing his job the best way he thought he could...again, I could very well be wrong.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom