This is choice! Talk about making up laws on the fly . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I almost never see it anymore.
    I can however see both sides of the argument. It is distracting to other motorist, which can be dangerous. I do appreciate it though as I don't like speeding tickets.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This driver's warning to other motorists helps to reduce speeding. I would think that would be considered assisting the officers rather than hindering them.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This driver's warning to other motorists helps to reduce speeding. I would think that would be considered assisting the officers rather than hindering them.
    It would if the purpose of ticketing speeders had any relation to safety. It doesn't, tho and is solely a matter of revenue generation and quotas. Flicking your lights cuts into their bottom line and they can't have that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I saw that report this morning. All I could think was WOW! How dare someone interfere with their attempt to generate revenue.

And just what is the "proper" use of bright lights?
    To tell someone to move over that is going slower than you?
    To tell a truck it is clear to change lanes?
    To be able to see better when there is no traffic in front of you?
    Or my favorite, OMG how dare you pass me?

I think too many officers spend too much time sitting in speed traps.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Taking Liberties: Bright Lights, Big Trouble | Fox News

So maybe instead of flashing high-beams, you just flash them on and off?
    According to the article, they were upset he was communicating AT ALL. Not just the flashing brights. He could have held up a SLOW DOWN - COP AHEAD sign and gotten the same treatment. Or even the universal "Slow Down" hand signal (arm out to the side, palm down, move hand/arm up and down).

Glad he is fighting it! No way that should stand. If the goal is safe speeds, then this guy is actually helping.

Of course, that is not really the goal.... :spend:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    "You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty." Seriously?? That's an interesting take.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I saw the title of this thread and thought INGO now had a NSFW section. What a downer. :dunno:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty." Seriously?? That's an interesting take.

Yeah, that "police advocate' was quite a piece of work.

On a side note, I saw a new low locally the other day. An officer actually pulled his motorcycle into the middle of the sidewalk and hid behind some untrimmed bushes hanging out looking to catch people rolling a three way stop. I chuckled because he was literally "hiding in the bushes waiting to pounce". Well, that and the boots they wear.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    With tax revenues down, some police are becoming tax collectors in the name of traffic safety.

Since Sherman-Minton has been shut down here in the South, ISP has been unable to run their revenue making machine that runs from I-265 to the Kennedy Bridge. It's embarrassing (even to the officers I heard) the way they were writing tickets there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's ashame to see the Lake Co sherriff's police sit and hide on Randolph Street, right where the speed switches from 40 mph to 30 mph and hit up unsuspecting drivers. A few years ago it was never in the likes of things. I think Lake is more corrupt than Cook Co in Illinois

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I look at it this way. The guy was aiding the police in getting traffic to slow down. After all isn't that the reason they are running radar traps???

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Ha ha. I got pulled over in the People's Republic of Illinois for doing that once.

Young cop actually had his head INSIDE my car (I should have "accidentally" hit the up switch on the window) and was screaming at me, "That's what you were doing! Admit it! Admit it!". I was doing my best impression of a clam, and it was REALLY infuriating him. Since the key element to the violation is intent, he needed to get me to say that I was trying to warn another motorist, or he'd have no chance of winning if I went to court.

I started laughing at him, and finally said, "Are you going to give me a ticket, or what?" He stormed to his car and after a few minutes came back with a written warning. I said, "Thanks. I need something to soak up the spilled coffee in the cupholder."

Fast-forward four years, and I see the same cop outside the town hall. He sees me. Then I overhear him telling the cop he's with about our encounter. One would think a LEO's life would be full enough of exciting events that such a trivial matter as a traffic stop would be soon forgotten. I'm glad I could make a lasting impression. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, is this what they are attempting to enforce?

IC 35-44-3-2
    Assisting a criminal; defenses
    Sec. 2. (a) A person not standing in the relation of parent, child, or spouse to another person who has committed a crime or is a fugitive from justice who, with intent to hinder the apprehension or punishment of the other person, harbors, conceals, or otherwise assists the person commits assisting a criminal, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
    (1) a Class D felony if the person assisted has committed a Class B, Class C, or Class D felony; and
    (2) a Class C felony if the person assisted has committed murder or a Class A felony, or if the assistance was providing a deadly weapon.
    (b) It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the person assisted:
    (1) has not been prosecuted for the offense;
    (2) has not been convicted of the offense; or (3) has been acquitted of the offense by reason of insanity.
    However, the acquittal of the person assisted for other reasons may be a defense.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.60; P.L.159-2009, SEC.1.

Top Bottom