• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I actually used that video a couple times for a presentation to Marion County deputy trainees. The officer did a good job - there are a couple quibbles I have with it - and is a good template for how to handle those situations.

The video has been around at least a few years.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That has been posted several times and is a great watch every time. The kids were being probably a bit too arrogant and were probably fishing for conflict intentionally, but certainly not out of line. Kudos for all involved for a very peaceful resolution.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I actually used that video a couple times for a presentation to Marion County deputy trainees. The officer did a good job - there are a couple quibbles I have with it - and is a good template for how to handle those situations.

The video has been around at least a few years.

What was your quibbles?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That has been posted several times since 2012 and is a great watch every time. The kids were being probably a bit too arrogant and were probably fishing for conflict intentionally, but certainly not out of line. Kudos for all involved for a very peaceful resolution.

FIFY

My only question, and this is not to the OP is why after being out there for 3 years, this has popped up in two threads in a week? Is it being circulated anew? Not a complaint, I'm just curious how these things keep surfacing every several months.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What was your quibbles?
    One is the part (going from memory) where he says, "I'm not seizing your weapon." while seizing the weapon. I know what he was trying to say - he isn't "seizing" by taking possession of it for an extended period of time. IMHO, something more along the lines of "I am only momentarily taking possession of your firearm for purposes of investigation." Unlike Miranda, there isn't really a script for these kinds of things.

Second, and this is something I expressed to the recruits, IMHO he shouldn't be operating it. The "function test" was unnecessary. In the class, I asked the students how many had fired guns. Many hands went up. How many are familiar with every gun ever made? Hands went down. How many are able to visually determine that a gun is 100% functional and not subject to a failure? Hands stayed down.

My point was that there was no way to know if that gun worked the way he thought it worked. Sure, it is rarely ever going to be an issue. But criminals' guns are sometimes in disrepair (shocker).

Once the officer checked the semi-/safety selector and maybe read the barrel, he determined it was not FA. Taking the magazine out - ok, no biggie. But clearing it? What if a round had been chambered and something went screwy and it fired while he was pulling the charging handle? Boom - a whole different set of reports.

(I also showed the video of an officer from Tahoe, if I remember correctly, nearly shooting a detained guy in the head. With her own weapon. While another officer was handcuffing him.)

Look, the officer did 98% of the things right. Just some nit picky things I saw. I think there were a couple more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    One is the part (going from memory) where he says, "I'm not seizing your weapon." while seizing the weapon. I know what he was trying to say - he isn't "seizing" by taking possession of it for an extended period of time. IMHO, something more along the lines of "I am only momentarily taking possession of your firearm for purposes of investigation." Unlike Miranda, there isn't really a script for these kinds of things.

Second, and this is something I expressed to the recruits, IMHO he shouldn't be operating it. The "function test" was unnecessary. In the class, I asked the students how many had fired guns. Many hands went up. How many are familiar with every gun ever made? Hands went down. How many are able to visually determine that a gun is 100% functional and not subject to a failure? Hands stayed down.

My point was that there was no way to know if that gun worked the way he thought it worked. Sure, it is rarely ever going to be an issue. But criminals' guns are sometimes in disrepair (shocker).

Once the officer checked the semi-/safety selector and maybe read the barrel, he determined it was not FA. Taking the magazine out - ok, no biggie. But clearing it? What if a round had been chambered and something went screwy and it fired while he was pulling the charging handle? Boom - a whole different set of reports.

(I also showed the video of an officer from Tahoe, if I remember correctly, nearly shooting a detained guy in the head. With her own weapon. While another officer was handcuffing him.)

Look, the officer did 98% of the things right. Just some nit picky things I saw. I think there were a couple more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thank you for the answer.

He seemed confident that he could determine if it was in deed a semi auto by dry firing it. I think your advice not to pull the trigger on peoples guns is solid. I would be happy to have an 98% rate of success in my job.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah I think the cop overstepped his authority. The right to bear arms is not to be denied for any amount of time. And to say it looks like a full auto is a cop out. A glock can be a full auto does that mean anyone with a glock can be disarmed. The cop was nice enough but still went against the constitution.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Technically he is a pro since he is being paid for his services.

This.

And, he handled it very professionally. Legally, he was within the boundaries, even if he couldn't really articulate why. That's ok. He's not being paid to know why. He's being paid to do it right. And, on the big things, he did.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah I think the cop overstepped his authority. The right to bear arms is not to be denied for any amount of time. And to say it looks like a full auto is a cop out. A glock can be a full auto does that mean anyone with a glock can be disarmed. The cop was nice enough but still went against the constitution.

Does the 2nd Amendment trump the 4th? I think you'd have to articulate that the seizure was unreasonable. I think concerning how the public views such displays combined with how this situation is typically handled, in determining the legality. Social norms do affect law.

Top Bottom