• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Funny, I have been thinking the same thing lately. I know nothing about them on the civilian side. Every time I've shot one, it was a military version and I didn't have a choice.
    :popcorn:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Head on over to ar15.com and m4carbine.net for tons of info.

Just be sure to take your blood pressure medicine BEFORE going over to M4C.net. While there is some useful information there, Oh and "THE CHART" is there too,:rolleyes: don't bother registering and posting up about looking for an entry level AR. You will be pounced on and told in no certain terms how stupid that question is, and what a worthless piece of human debris you are.

My opinion on an AR, check out Palmetto State Armory.:yesway:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Palemetto State Armory is probably the best bang for the buck right now, especially their Patrol Rifle for $999.

Colt is always a good choice, both for quality and resale value in the event you don't like ARs.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Smith & Wesson makes great ARs for a very good price. If you want to mount a red dot scope on your rifle, I would suggest the M&P15 OR (OR stands for Optics Ready). It's a flat top receiver with a railed gas block so you can add some back up iron sights. It's what I have and you can find them for around $800 :patriot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In general, what would it cost to build one using average to good quality parts, without going over board for the budget conscious?

With prices falling on complete ARs in the last year, its often times less expensive to buy a quality rifle complete than it is to build one. If someone does build one for cheaper, its usually because they substituted lesser-quality parts.

With groups like Spike's Tactical and PSA putting out full milspec M4s for $6-800, its tough to get excited about piecing one together.

There are advantages to building your own, but price isn't one of them.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You also had the ability to shoot it this entire time. If you were building it that wouldn't be the case.

Very true.

And I don't want to call it the "buy once cry once" situation. But by buying my RRA, I have certainly learned why you want certain rifles, parts, etc, over others.

I'm not saying you wouldn't learn all that by building, but for me, I know I would have learned MORE this way over building.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The one that is in your price range. Get it shoot it. DPMS, Palmetto State Armory, S&W MP15 are all nice entry level guns and will do you a nice job. There are alot of choices for under a 1000 bucks an youll get probably a different answer from everyone you ask. So do your research an buy the one thats in your price range that you like. Good luck on the purchase.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Fairly new to the AR platform myself. I wanted a complete rifle ready to go right out of the box. I went with the s&w m&p15 sport. It has no forward assist or dust cover, no big deal to me. I am very happy with this rifle!
    It has performed 100% for me since day one. I have had several other people that are much more knowledeable than me with the AR platform comment on how impressed they were with it as well and said I did good. The sport model can be had for around $600

PSA has some great values out ther as well.

If you have a specific purpose for your rifle than yes building is the way to go so you can tailor it to your personal needs. If it is just for general plinking or whatnot, then I agree buying complete is a good route to go with the current market.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I bought a dpms w/ flat top carbine I gave 600.00 + tax from a local gun shop, and i love it. Have had 0 issues with it, for that price you can make it your way how ever you want. I us mine for traget shooting nikon scope, rock mount bipod, and changed a few other things. Its no problem to break clay tragets @ 300 yrds.

Top Bottom