• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Some recent reflection has led me to realize some serious deficiencies in my ability to deal with medical issues. I know the basics but in a disaster type situation, I would be next to useless.

I started to think about getting the training and becoming EMT certified. This is not a career move, but something that will help me be more of an asset to my family and community. After some research I found that I can go to school 4 nights a week for 5 hours a night for just 3 months and become certified after passing the state exam. The cost of the entire course is right at $1500. Not chump change by any means, but more than worth it if I would use that knowledge in a life saving situation just once.

What are your opinions? Is it worth the time and money? EMTs please weigh in!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    That course price seems high for a basic level class.

The hospital system I work for offers a EMT-B class for two nights a week for about 5 months total. The cost of book, clinical fee's, etc are all included for about $800 or so. The class also provides significantly more clinical hours and class teachings (extrication, helicopter loading, etc) then what is required by the state.

Maybe that $1500 is the going rate in your neck of the woods though.

You will gain valuable information by taking an EMT-B class but a lot of the skills and information learned is learned through actually working the job.

What I would suggest is going onto amazon.com and buying an EMT-B instruction book and reading it first. If you are wanting to learn more or find it extremely interesting then sign up for a class.

For reference the class I took 6 years ago used this book:

EMT Complete: A Basic Worktext: Chris Le Baudour, Daniel Batsie, Edward T. Dickinson, Daniel J. Limmer EMT-P: 9780131192652: Amazon.com: Books

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Different things I have read here and elsewhere have pretty much said the same thing you said: the class is nice, but you really get an education when you get out and actually work the job. I would get in an ambulance and/or ER and help/observe as much as possible. I tend to throw myself into things to get the most out of them. Really I am interested in the paramedic training, but that is a very large time and money commitment for somebody that isn't looking to do it for a career.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe you can contact your local Red Cross and see what kind of classes they offer.
    You could take a basic first aid class (8 hours or so) instead of taking a long and expensive EMT class.
    You might feel better prepared after that.
    Of course after the basic one you can take the EMT one if you feel you need to know more.
    I know some Red Cross agencies will even pay for your EMT class if you volunteer as a first responder for them once in a while once you graduate.
    Could be a good way to get free training and practice your skills on real people outside of a class.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I got my Basic cert last year. $650 thru Adams Memorial Hospital in Decatur, IN.

You can't do **** as a Basic. Hell in Indiana(at least as of the curriculum last year) tourniquets are a LAST RESORT.

All we can do as a Basic is the ABC's and hand you off to ALS.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    That course price seems high for a basic level class.

The hospital system I work for offers a EMT-B class for two nights a week for about 5 months total. The cost of book, clinical fee's, etc are all included for about $800 or so. The class also provides significantly more clinical hours and class teachings (extrication, helicopter loading, etc) then what is required by the state.

Back in 06 when I took my class Community East was pretty much what is described above .

Very good class and well worth the money .

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    In central Indiana, you have got a pile of choices. St. Francis, Community, Ivy Tech, St. V's, etc. Pellham in Bloomington does a 2 week intensive program, but the best students for those have a good medical foundation and have already read the textbook (reading 100 pages a night, after a 12 hour class is not fun).

While the EMT skillset is limited, it is a great level to be at. Tourniquets have moved to a place just after direct pressure in the State testing, and any program worth its salt is not teaching protocol, but patient care.

Honestly, a wilderness EMT class may be a better class to take--being able to improvise care is a great ability to have...

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Yes, the EMT skillset and what they are permitted to do is limited when compared to a paramedic, but it is leaps and bounds further than where I am at. Who knows... I might get hooked and want to further my training and become a paramedic. From what I can tell those guys really know their stuff and can pretty much take the place of a doctor when needed. I think I will take Sylvain's advice and start small with a Red Cross first aid class. There is one in my area in a couple of weeks that is looking good.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes, the EMT skillset and what they are permitted to do is limited when compared to a paramedic, but it is leaps and bounds further than where I am at. Who knows... I might get hooked and want to further my training and become a paramedic. From what I can tell those guys really know their stuff and can pretty much take the place of a doctor when needed. I think I will take Sylvain's advice and start small with a Red Cross first aid class. There is one in my area in a couple of weeks that is looking good.

This guy always has good ideas. :D :yesway:

Basic training gives you confidence even if you already know some stuff.
    You learn that you know the right stuff, and sometimes you also learn that you knew something wrong.
    Also I think it's good legally (not that im a lawyer but I would think so :dunno:).
    If you have to help someone it's better to do something that was taught to you by a certified first aid instructor instead of doing something you heard over the internet or read in a book that could be outdated.
    I have seen videos of people talking about tourniquets and saying you could use one on a forearm. :n00b: :rolleyes:
    You could kill someone if you did that and would have to explain in court where you learned that "technique".

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Also I think it's good legally (not that im a lawyer but I would think so :dunno:)..

Just like " there's a lawyer behind every bullet " , there's a lawyer behind every good deed .

If you pass a wreck and decide to stop , you announce I'm a "EMT / whatever " you can be held to the same standards that a " professional whatever " is .

That info is dated so know your " good Samaritan " laws before you choose to get involved .

It's a damn shame it's like that but the right lawyer will sue over a ham sand which .

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just like " there's a lawyer behind every bullet " , there's a lawyer behind every good deed .

If you pass a wreck and decide to stop , you announce I'm a "EMT / whatever " you can be held to the same standards that a " professional whatever " is .

That info is dated so know your " good Samaritan " laws before you choose to get involved .

It's a damn shame it's like that but the right lawyer will sue over a ham sand which .
    Might want to check that info. If you are off duty and don't have your on duty "bag of goodies", good samaritan laws still take effect. You are still responsible to maintain care until someone higher up in the chain comes along though.

Indiana Code 34-30-12

The part about IC 9-26-1-(1-5) involves not blocking traffic and stuff. So long as you are trying to save someone, and not acting negligently our out of your scope of practice, GS laws protect you.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    See what I mean , we need a damn lawyer already and nobody's even hurt .

b) " This section does not apply to acts or omissions amounting to gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct "

Take CPR for example , I was taught to start with ABC .

From what I understand it's now CAB .

If I do it again I'm defaulting to ABC cause that's what I know .

Granted I'm no longer a certified anything so it doesn't really apply to me anymore but you know how it is when you first get certified , you can't wait for someone to get hurt so you can " help " .

I would think that if a mistake is made ( and they are by both new and experienced folks ) , that a lawyer can use subsection b against you .

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    See what I mean , we need a damn lawyer already and nobody's even hurt .

b) " This section does not apply to acts or omissions amounting to gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct "

Take CPR for example , I was taught to start with ABC .

From what I understand it's now CAB .

If I do it again I'm defaulting to ABC cause that's what I know .

Granted I'm no longer a certified anything so it doesn't really apply to me anymore but you know how it is when you first get certified , you can't wait for someone to get hurt so you can " help " .

I would think that if a mistake is made ( and they are by both new and experienced folks ) , that a lawyer can use subsection b against you .

You do your ABC's first. HOWEVER, if it's not a medical emergency and instead a trauma with loss of blood, then it's CAB. It doesn't matter how good your breathing is FOR the patient, if they're bleeding out , breaths will do no good.

OP, I got my cert this year and it cost me about $750 with my CPR cert as well. I was told, if you're off duty, you have no obligation to stop.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    If you are trained and can help, you are obligated to stop and help. I don't care if its law or not. Its the right thing to do. I'm a nurse and would never drive by someone in need of medical attention.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If you are trained and can help, you are obligated to stop and help. I don't care if its law or not. Its the right thing to do. I'm a nurse and would never drive by someone in need of medical attention.

You're playing to the moral side of people though. There is no LEGAL obligation, depending on your mindset there may be a moral obligation.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If you are trained, you are held to your ability. Watching Father Mulcahey perform a cric on MASH does not qualify you to do one without legal implications. Likely, nothing would happen legally, but we don't live in a utopia, so...

As a Paramedic, I can only "perform medicine" while working, within the authorization of my medical director--thus, though I am licensed and trained and authorized to perform a cric, I can't legally perform one if I am driving down the road in Ft. Wayne and come up on a patient.

I have no legal obligation to perform care--I have a moral duty, just as Stephen said.

CAB also works for cardiac arrest--if you aren't doing chest compressions, you aren't moving blood. No movement, no help. But, this is all a bit more complicated than a few lines in a forum thread :)

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    If you are trained, you are held to your ability. Watching Father Mulcahey perform a cric on MASH does not qualify you to do one without legal implications. Likely, nothing would happen legally, but we don't live in a utopia, so...

As a Paramedic, I can only "perform medicine" while working, within the authorization of my medical director--thus, though I am licensed and trained and authorized to perform a cric, I can't legally perform one if I am driving down the road in Ft. Wayne and come up on a patient.

I have no legal obligation to perform care--I have a moral duty, just as Stephen said.

CAB also works for cardiac arrest--if you aren't doing chest compressions, you aren't moving blood. No movement, no help. But, this is all a bit more complicated than a few lines in a forum thread :)

This man speaks the truth

Top Bottom