• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Been thinking about something to practice with. Since .22Lr is almost non-existent, I thought maybe I should look at something that can shoot .22 short. Any recommendations? I have read that all .22lr revolvers can shoot shorts. Is that true, and is there any harm in doing that? I would like this gun to be reasonably priced and good quality.
    Thanks

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Not recommened with modern firearms. Not sure of the details, but most say Long Rifle only. You can end up getting a corrosion issue with revolvers "ringing" the cylinder. I haven't seen a semi-auto that will cycle shorts that wasn't made specifically for them. Older bolt guns, pumps and lever rifles seem OK with it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hang in there. One day we will be able to get .22LR.

If you want a double action revolver, look at the S&W model 17/617. They are really nice shooting .22's. For single action, Ruger seems to have the market share. I had one and wish I would not have sold it.

For semi-auto, there are lot's of options and the recommendations you get on here will be what the poster likes and shoots for the most part.

For instance, I like and shoot a Ruger MKII so I would say look at one of those.:)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not recommened with modern firearms. Not sure of the details, but most say Long Rifle only. You can end up getting a corrosion issue with revolvers "ringing" the cylinder. I haven't seen a semi-auto that will cycle shorts that wasn't made specifically for them. Older bolt guns, pumps and lever rifles seem OK with it.

What is "ringing the cylinder"?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, if it's similar to what happens when I go from 38 to 357 on my revolver, I bring a brush to the range with me. The 357 doesn't want to go in at first. After the brush, no problem.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Based on my experience: From an accuracy stand point, most quality .22 revolvers are going to win hands down compared to most .22 caliber 1911's in the same price range. I have owned 1911 conversion slides and dedicated .22 1911's. Both were mediocre in the accuracy department. I owned a Ruger Single Six convertible 6 1/2" for years. It shot like a rifle. I sold it and bought a Taurus model 94, 9 shot, 4" double action revolver and that thing will out shoot the Single Six. It is a tack driver.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Been thinking about something to practice with. Since .22Lr is almost non-existent, I thought maybe I should look at something that can shoot .22 short. Any recommendations? I have read that all .22lr revolvers can shoot shorts. Is that true, and is there any harm in doing that? I would like this gun to be reasonably priced and good quality.
    Thanks
    Heritage Arms sells .22 revolvers that shoot .22 short and .22LR. Some come with a magnum cylinder. They are fantastic guns. I have ONE AND LOVE IT.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If the small size can work for you, you might consider the Ruger Bearcat. Since the Bearcat only comes in a .22lr model, the barrel is diameter is properly sized (unlike the Ruger Single-Six and Single-Ten models, which have barrels designed to accommodate 22WMR.)

Here is a decent write-up on Gunblast

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "Ringing," in this case, means powder fouling is deposited in the cylinder in front of the shorter case of the .22 short. If the fouling builds up enough, it can be difficult to insert a .22 long rifle cartridge into the cylinder and/or extract it from the cylinder. The exact same thing can happen with .38/.357 cases and .44 Special/.44 Magnum cases.

Any revolver chambered for .22 long rifle can shoot .22 shorts, just as a .357 revolver can shoot .38's (and .44 magnums can shoot .44 specials).

While .22 shorts may be more available than .22 long rifle now, they are usually less available and more expensive. Still. there is something to be said for a gun that can shoot multiple rounds. I hear tell you can wing shoot bees and large flies with .22 shot shells.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    What he said. The fouling from the shorter case eventually causes a problem when the long rifle is used again. If you shoot them alot, damage may result. And yes , wood bees are a good shotshell target.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so it's fouling. But, brush it out and it's clean again. At least that is what works for my .38/.357.

For the most part, yes.

However, I believe it is possible to roughen the chambers near the mouth of the shorter cases due to gas erosion. It would take a lot of shooting of the short cases.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If the small size can work for you, you might consider the Ruger Bearcat. Since the Bearcat only comes in a .22lr model, the barrel is diameter is properly sized (unlike the Ruger Single-Six and Single-Ten models, which have barrels designed to accommodate 22WMR.)

Here is a decent write-up on Gunblast

I thought that the single ten is 22lr only and that the higher capacity one for 22wmr was the single nine.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I saw some Heritage .22 revolvers at Bass & Bucks Saturday. One followed me home. ;) I like it, it took awhile for me to figure it out, I've not had a single action revolver before. I kept thinking the cylinder should swing out for loading/unloading.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Shooting Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle in a revolver is not a problem ( neither is .357s and .38 sp or .44 mag and .44 sp...and on and on).

Just clean your gun every once in a while. I clean mine after every range session....that used to be normal practice for just about everyone. Why don't we think cleaning is important anymore?

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have a Sig Sauer 1911/22 and love it, I run a TAC 65 can on it and it eats everything I have put in it. As far as accuracy, we were shooting clay pigions on the other side of my pond from my deck the other day which is about 45 yards. I would highly recommend. Bought off gunbroker for 310.00 with a 20 dollar transfer fee.

Top Bottom