• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :):
    Depending on region and dialect, "coke" means any soft drink, not necessarily that brand name. No such thing as "soda", "pop", or (worst of all) "soda pop".
    'Taters and 'maters (long 'a') are self-explanatory.

Andy Rooney once remarked that he hadn't realized before visiting that the proper name "Dan" could have two syllables.

Foxworthy nailed it with a few references such as ...
    Mayonnaise (pronounced măn-āz) : "Man 'az a lotta skeeters out here".
    Momanems: "Where y'all goin' for Thanksgiving?"
    "Over da Mom-'n'-'ems".

A woman from Tennessee (substitute MS, AL, or similar) is sitting next to a woman from New York on a flight. She askes the woman from NY, "So, where y'all from?"
    The woman from NY replies - condescendingly, "From a place where we know not to end a sentence with a preposition."
    The woman from TN thinks about it quietly for a moment, then says, "So, where y'all from, *****?" <b word>

Pretty good, but in Alabama we do use pop and soda. "Coke" of course means any carbonated beverage, and one would need to clarify. Soda is also used, as it is the actual liquid one drinks, for example "Boy! ya better clean up that soda you spilt."
    Pop is rarely used, and it is rarely seen anymore. However, if an old timer refers to a "pop" it is in reference to a glass bottle that you have to "pop" the top off.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pretty good, but in Alabama we do use pop and soda. "Coke" of course means any carbonated beverage, and one would need to clarify. Soda is also used, as it is the actual liquid one drinks, for example "Boy! ya better clean up that soda you spilt."
    Pop is rarely used, and it is rarely seen anymore. However, if an old timer refers to a "pop" it is in reference to a glass bottle that you have to "pop" the top off.

Don't give away ALL of our secrets! Next thing you know they'll be tryin' to move in with us:noway::laugh:

Quick funny story, I stopped at subway in Danville one day for lunch. Some old-timer complete with the white beard and bib overalls sat there staring at me the whole time. When I finished as I walked by him he said "You ain't from around here are you?" I replied no that I was from down south. He said "Evansville. . . .I should have known" I just responded no a little further south than that.:laugh:

For the record 90% of my life had been spent in Fl, Ga, Al, TX, Ok, Sc, etc prior to moving up here with all ya'll yankees.:patriot:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Lived in ( ) for 5 years. The list is so true or at least was several years ago. Met some fine people and enjoyed some nice fishing, BUT I would like to add (possibly because I never could shake the "Yank" moniker said in such a fashion that it had the ring of a swear word):

_ Southern hospitality: as they are gutting you, they have a smile on their face

_ Famous last words (or words heard just prior to the trip to the ER): Hey Y'all, watch this......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    THINGS I LEARNED LIVING IN THE SOUTH...

A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
    So is a 'Dilla

You don't carry your children you tote em.

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
    I've had many a run in with Diamond backs and Cottonmouths, at least with Diamonds, they'd rattle before you got too close.

There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.
    Every spider is a Brown Recluse, and must be stomped

If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
    being pushed into a sticker bush, not fun

Onced and Twiced are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy! Or a trolley

Jawl-P? means, Did you all go to the bathroom?

People actually grow,eat and like okra. Fried okra is grown in Heaven's greenest fields... already fried too

Fixinto is one word. It means I'm going to do that.

There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.

Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.

Never heard it called "wine," but it is a must have. None if this addin' sugar to cold tea.

Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.
    That's not the same everywhere?
    The word jeet is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'

You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.

Ya'll is singular. All ya'll is plural.

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.
    My favorites were the Peanut Festival (Dothan, AL), and the Rattlesnake Rodeo (Opp, AL)... yes they are real

You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car.

You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco and ketchup.

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.

You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

Uh, Deer huntin' season is year round... if it crosses your path, it;s fair game.
    You know what a hissy fit is.

Fried catfish is the other white meat.

We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!

You understand these jokes and forward them to your Southern friends and those who just wish they were from the SOUTH.

What ya missed.

There are no such things as Farmers Markets in the South. I actually was baffled the first time I saw one. In the South you can find a fruit stand every 5-10 miles... I guess Yankees are kinda smart.

Catholics are believed to be super rich people that all drive foreign cars, eat nasty food like Pâté, don't drink beer, and always vote Democrat. If we encounter one we suggest that they leave. We are Baptists.... though we allow Methodists to live among us unmolested.

The worst type of Yankee is the one born north of the Mason-Dix, and yet thinks they are allowed to fly the "Stars and Bars." If you can't pick out a picture of JD, don't understand why Sherman is kin to Satan, cant name 5 Battles (the CORRECT way) from the War of Northern Aggression, and don't know what a beautante is, don't fly our flag. No seriously, don't. And FYI both blacks and whites fly the flag. That racist stuff is BS.

No one ever called Panama City the "Redneck Riviera." It was a much nicer place before MTV corrupted it.

Men in the military are welcome to our gals (the so-so ones). That's how manners are exported. We keep the best ones under lock, double barrels, and 2 million cousins.

You will go to church on Sunday... or at the very least, Sunday School.

High School football has every bit as much elegance as any broadway play

Boiled Peanuts are a must

Grits are perfectly acceptable for breakfast OR dinner.

You've hit the big time if you can date a cheerleader or pageant winner.

Just
    because your college plays in the SEC, you're not automatically Southern (ya hear me Kentucky? Border State)

An ATM is a Money Mover

A remote control is for toys. A "wand," "box," or "clicker" controls the TV.

...I may add more later

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, and my avatar? That's the Boll Weevil Monument from my hometown in Enterprise, AL. The beautiful woman used to hold a solid gold Boll Weevil over her head (now its fake). Near the turn of the last century, the Boll Weevil destroyed the local Wiregrass cotton crop. We diversified and started planting peanuts. Never looked back.

Boll Weevil Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link about the transition to peanuts from cotton is incorrect GW Carver was the person who suggested teh switch. Sessions, the local rich blowhard, took the credit. His great grandkids were aZZes.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The apostrophe is misplaced. Y'all is a contraction of "You all".

This is a common mistake among carpet baggers and other yamdankees.

Texas.gif

Blessings,
    Bill
    Sorry, Bill, but between Bloomington and the Ohio River it seems to be "you'ns." :): Language is fun. :)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just so you northerners know, Grits are made out of corn, and we put a little salt on them. You DO NOT put syrup on grits!
    I'm glad ya'll are enjoying the post. As far as grits are concerned I never will forget one of the local TV stations interviewing a Southern Gal for the first Brick Yard 400. They asked her something like how did she like her first trip to Indianapolis. Her response was something like "Oh it's just fine, but ya'll need to learn to fix grits around here!"

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have always thought of southerners as smart people. They real good at spotting Yankees. I was in Virginia once working, and needed directions to Norfolk VA. As soon as I said "Norfolk" The Lady says "You ain't from around here are you." I also learned a long time ago not to say anything about the Civil War, because down there it is reffered to as the War Between the States, or the War of Northern Aggression. And they are really correct because those states actually did form a seperate nation.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Depending on region and dialect, "coke" means any soft drink, not necessarily that brand name. No such thing as "soda", "pop", or (worst of all) "soda pop".

of all the places I've lived, Texas is the only place that the following conversation was common:
    "You want a Coke?"
    "Sure"
    "What kind?"
    "Dr. Pepper".

As a side, I had a friend move back to Minnesota after many years in Texas and asked at a restaurant what kind of cokes they had. She got an "Umm... Regular and Diet."

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have always thought of southerners as smart people. They real good at spotting Yankees. I was in Virginia once working, and needed directions to Norfolk VA. As soon as I said "Norfolk" The Lady says "You ain't from around here are you." I also learned a long time ago not to say anything about the Civil War, because down there it is reffered to as the War Between the States, or the War of Northern Aggression. And they are really correct because those states actually did form a seperate nation.

Despite living in the south for thr better part of a decade, I have eer heard anyone but a damnyankee refer to it as "the war of northern
    Aggression"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Despite living in the south for thr better part of a decade, I have eer heard anyone but a damnyankee refer to it as "the war of northern
    Aggression"

I used in in a prior post. Was your decade spent in Texas? They are kinda special in their culture. Southern yes, but not in the traditional sense.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's because Texas is it's own damn country. We just stick around because we like you. For now.
    That's right TEXAS is the only state by treaty. They could easily become seperate by disolving the treaty. I've heard the Legislature has a cerimonial vote on that treaty at the begining of each session, not sure if that's really true.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In the world, a Yankee is an American. In the US, a Yankee is a northerner. In the north, a Yankee is a New Englander. In New England, a Yankee is from Maine. I don't know how the Mainers dodge the title.

True. My wifes cousin was visiting from Aregentina and she asked my wife (in Spanish) I heard a bunch of Spanish words, then Yank, then more Spanish. My wife said she wanted to know if I found that word offensive. My wife said that I am one generation from seven generations of Kentuckians but that technically I was born on the North side of the river by nearly a mile and that no, I would not find that offensive. It's kind of like Gringo though. Not complimentary. I also found this out working in St. Louis. Hoosier and redneck are interchangable and Hoosier is a derogatory word there.

Top Bottom