• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    First and foremost just going to throw this out there because we’ll I do not own one. But from what I can tell Glocks are labeled as Gen this that or the other Gen. So are there changes in performance, function or features depending on which one it is?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    google would fill you in most are subtle differences gen 3 was the longest running I believe take that for what it is worth

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    google would fill you in most are subtle differences gen 3 was the longest running I believe take that for what it is worth
    Because its the last one made before CA enacted the microstamping rule. Anything made (or changed significantly) after a certain date is banned in CA unless it includes a microstamping firing pin. So Glock just kept making 3s and not selling the rest in CA.

There are slight differences. Like a 2nd gen doesnt have finger grooves, the Gen4 and up have reversible ambi mag releases, etc. But for the most part they are all the same. Just minor differences.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Because its the last one made before CA enacted the microstamping rule. Anything made (or changed significantly) after a certain date is banned in CA unless it includes a microstamping firing pin. So Glock just kept making 3s and not selling the rest in CA.

There are slight differences. Like a 2nd gen doesnt have finger grooves, the Gen4 and up have reversible ambi mag releases, etc. But for the most part they are all the same. Just minor differences.
    Thanks, not dogging on them, I was just curious. Understanding price point drives is a huge part of the selection criteria.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

When did California make that law? Just curious because I’m saying isn’t the biggest gap in time between 2 and 4 ? That would make California law moot. Even though that maybe why they continue to produce them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When did California make that law? Just curious because I’m saying isn’t the biggest gap in time between 2 and 4 ? That would make California law moot. Even though that maybe why they continue to produce them.
    It was enacted sometime after 3 and before 4. :dunno:
    Edit: May of 2013
    And how would it make it moot?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks, not dogging on them, I was just curious. Understanding price point drives is a huge part of the selection criteria.
    There's changes with the gens. Finger grooves/no finger grooves, grip texture changes, recoil spring changes, mag release changes, extractor change, 2 pin/3 pin triggers, plain dustcover/railed dustcover. Quite a few changes

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Gen 4 has kind of turned into a redheaded stepchild, while Gen 3 lives on as kind of the definitive Glock because of California laws.

Gen 5 with factory red dot mounting is probably the first Glock that really brought major capability enhancements beyond the little incremental changes and the first rail.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm not what you would call a "Glock guy", but if I were to get back into Glocks, I would probably follow the lead of World champion shooter, Bob Vogel and just get a Gen 3, but modify it to my liking.

It seems to work for Bob...

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It was enacted sometime after 3 and before 4. :dunno:
    Edit: May of 2013
    And how would it make it moot?
    according to the internets it says gen 4 came out 2010 so the law was actually enacted after gen4 was released

Because gen 3 ran for 12 years before gen 4 came out. So not including the fact that they are still making gen 3 ………. Gen 1 4 years gen 2 10 years gen 3 12 years gen 4 8 years

so the fact that they still make it because of the law in CA is a moot point when considering which generation is the longest running. So if gen 5 runs until 2030……. It will tie gen 3

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Minor changes. This is just my synopsis from working on them and selling them for the last 5 years.

Gen 1s are uncommon

Gen 2s are great if you don’t like finger groves and don’t need to mount a light. They generally were good

Gen 3 is pretty much the way to go. It will be the forever Glock. Good parts support, introduced the rail, and finger groves

Some glocks did not get a Gen designation like the 42 and 36. They just are what they are

Most Gen 4s I’ve been around are fine. but I agree they have turned into the red headed step child. I guess Glock screwed up the recoil spring and ejectors somehow early on.

Gen 5s seem okay. No groves, nicer slide finish but a bunch of resigned internals so some issues with aftermarket support there. Also introduced the optics cut in that generation.

I’ve got a Gen 3 model 22 and love it. Also built a Gen 3 model 19 from parts.
    045F26CD-181B-452B-BF84-F057128FBA53.jpeg

Top Bottom