The world would be a better place without guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    OK don't flame me. I am a firearms enthusiast and own and enjoy many. This is a comment from my son-in-laws grandmother. She said she was uncomfortable around people that owned guns (funny, she looked pretty comfortable around me, my wife and daughter, her son, grandson and may other gun owners there). She grew up in a home without firearms and knows nothing about them. Understanding that it is normal to be afraid of something you know nothing about and that it is unlikely I will change the mind of an 76 year old woman, I let it go. My reply was that if the world were a better place we may not need guns and guns did not make the world worse people did. Now I would agree that the world would be a better place without some people.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did the Romans do all their killing with AK-47s or Uzis? I can never remember?

Now, in the Bible, all that killing is done with snub nosed .38s, right?

Mongols used a lot of .50 USMG airliner zappers out on the steppe, right?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    She should feel uncomfortable around people who would do bad by her, whether with a weapon or the stroke of a pen.

Lots of mischief has been done with pens, BTW, and I never hear anyone saying we shouldn't OC them, or should have to take a pen safety class.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I heard that argument all of the time when I lived in New Zealand and not even the cops were armed. I also heard all of the whining and crying when the cops tazed, gassed or sent their dogs after the bad guys with guns. A friend was the local K9 officer and I loved that his dog was a cause of great personal pain for those who broke the law!

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Great reply Kirk.

I only wish I had responded with some of that. Yes man has been killing man long before guns and pens have killed many people. Some people just don't want to hear an argument for their cure for what ails the world.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    The art of war

Did the Romans do all their killing with AK-47s or Uzis? I can never remember?

Now, in the Bible, all that killing is done with snub nosed .38s, right?

Mongols used a lot of .50 USMG airliner zappers out on the steppe, right?

Read Sun Tsus "The Art of War" this is a difficult read but it puts things in perspective. In 2000BC There were countless dynasties in China with armies in the tens of thousands who would wipe out the entire race of their enemies. Women, children, old, young the concept was to erase the enemy as a people. No guns, tens of thousands hacked to death. When I read the book and really thought about what a battle of 40,000 men with swords and spears would have looked like. Thats hardcore

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OK don't flame me. I am a firearms enthusiast and own and enjoy many. This is a comment from my son-in-laws grandmother. She said she was uncomfortable around people that owned guns (funny, she looked pretty comfortable around me, my wife and daughter, her son, grandson and may other gun owners there). She grew up in a home without firearms and knows nothing about them. Understanding that it is normal to be afraid of something you know nothing about and that it is unlikely I will change the mind of an 76 year old woman, I let it go. My reply was that if the world were a better place we may not need guns and guns did not make the world worse people did. Now I would agree that the world would be a better place without some people.

Gun = equalizer

It is amazing how many people think like this woman does, but don't understand that a gun (with understanding of how to handle it) offers them the best chance of dealing with a disparity of force, and that disparity could be another weapon in the hand of an attacker or just an attacker with greater physical power/ability, etc.

A gun is just an object. The world would definitely be a better place without a lot of the people that we share it with.

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Its kind of crazy but my mom is starting to head towards the same line of thought as that lady. This is the same mom that bought me my first gun and ammo when I was 12 and let me keep them both under my bed. I can't figure out what changed her mind? The media in this era of school shootings maybe?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    “The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.”

From a speech from a father of a Columbine student.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, it would not be a better place. If the concept of firearms did not exist, it could be argued it would be a safer place, but the concept does exist.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'd be willing to bet that Able would have thought the world would have been a better place if jackasses didn't have jaws...but Cain would have used something else that was just as handy.

Unfortunately this will never change until the world ends. It's in our DNA, but thank God the vast majority of us have learned how to take the decision not to follow our baser instincts and learned to live honorable, productive, compassionate, and civil lives. It's the miniscule percentage of the rest of humanity that keeps me armed and ready (well, that's one of the MANY reasons actually).

strut70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    columbus
    I live in the country and i have a barn...I guess my feeling are that if i want to put a bullet trap in my own barn and shoot in there, it,s really know one elses bussiness.
    Why would i even ask the neighbors opinion.......

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's just a tool, and I'm just a craftsman. My dad had a couple of things, and my grandfather used to hunt, so we were armed but it's not like we had a big gun-owning family, but my mom thinks my EDC is cute.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I only wish I had responded with some of that. Yes man has been killing man long before guns and pens have killed many people. Some people just don't want to hear an argument for their cure for what ails the world.

Well, we can't convert everyone ;)
    Some people are just set in their ways with no real chance of changing their mind.

BTW, is she aware that all of you own firearms? Just curious

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    The world would be a better place without the need of guns. Unfortunately, we need guns because the world would be a bad place without them for some people. Guns prevent violence, provide self defense and puts food on the table of some people.

Top Bottom