The war for media, social media, Youtube etc. - What to do to further our cause?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    For those that have not been following what is going on on Youtube, let me quickly summarize. Many Youtube gun channels have been demonitized and cannot earn advertising money like they used to. This happened a while ago (last summer?). Since then, Youtube has been deleting videos and issuing strikes against gun channels for violations of community guidelines. The community guidelines are vague and are left wide open for interpretation. Now Youtube has issued more firearm specific guidelines that can get channels banned. So the rules changed that can affect old videos and now channels can be banned for stuff that was posted years ago. There are probably more details I am leaving out and lots more specifics.
    Watch Military Arms Channel's take on what is going on with Youtube and the second amendment in general.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRAHNjhsZjc

So given that liberals own the airwaves (I know there are exceptions), and Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and others... How can we continue to get our message across and not lose our voice?

I am doing some things, but need your help in 2 areas. I am looking for other ideas that we all can do.

Here are things I am doing. What else can I do.
    1. I wrote my representatives at least twice a week right now telling them no new gin control. This is not social media, but in legal terms, it is one of the end games that needs to be won.
    2. I place comments on much of the anti-gun crap on Yahoo news. I probably need to do it on CNN too, but their site is just covered with it and It would take more time. Yeah, I probably shout.
    3. I try to post some judicious posts on Facebook. I do not do it often as I hate fighting with my anti-gun friends and I do not like to look like guns are my life purpose, so i do it off and on.
    4. I like the crap out of gun stuff on Facebook. This includes pages of manufactures, dealers, activists, and conservative content creators. I also like, comment and hashtag pro-gun and anti-anti-gun posts.
    5. I hash tag any post that talks about Youtube censorship.
    6. I share some of this crap including ant-gun news, and legislation with a group on Facebook that is pro-gun, so my friends are aware and can take action.
    7. I have left numerous feedback messages on Youtube on their stance.
    8. I opened an account with Patreon, and will support up to 10 channels with $1 each. It is small, but it can help. Patreon, is a platform for people to post content (blogs, comments, podcasts, videos), where the viewers can make contributions to help support and fund the content.
    9. I have subscribed to all outlets I can find of my favorite pro-gun content/creators/youtubers/bloggers/podcasters. This does nothing really for anyone else but me and those I can influence but it can help the content providers say relevant if Youtube drops them tomorrow, they have alternative outlets.

FYI - Hashtags make things able to be found in searches. It is not magic, but can make finding the similarities of content easier. I keep a document that has several hashtags that I use (mostly made up by me) and I copy and paste, so I do not have to remember and type a bunch of crap. Be careful as if you do the same Facebook will flag it as spam if they find things too similar and in close succession (they have an algorithm for that). Change it up and spread them out over several minutes in between.

Things I just thought of...
    1. I should start adding the hashtags of the anti-gun movement when called for. This way it can pollute their searches with pro-gun content and use the social media against them.
    2. I need to be more vocal to the non-gun crowd. Again, my intent is to educate, inform and to enlighten not to bash liberals, or be insulting as that does not work to convince people.

What else am I missing? Do you think you could/should do some of the stuff I am doing?

I know much of the above is a drop in the bucket and will have very little impact, but I am trying to do my part to win and not lose the hearts and minds of the masses. The anti-gunners are organized, and they have more favorable status with the media, and their voice feels bigger, when it is not. We need to win battles in the media. What else can I do and what will you do?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    As much as it pains me to say it, the NRA does not seem to want to take the lead in our cause. They pay lip service to the idea of "Freedom", but serve their political masters with a far greater loyalty than their members.

Gun owners have to become as organized, as funded, as visible, and as loud, as the unified Anti-Gun movement. The challenges that we face are huge;

1.) Letter writing to our Reps and Senators is useless. They follow the lobbyist money, not the principles of the Constitution.

2.) News Media ignores our voice and actively vilifies all gun owners.

3. Social Media shuts down our message as "Hate Speech".

4. Banks and financial institutions shut down firearms business's ability to engage in legal commerce.

5. Youth are indoctrinated to ignore the concepts of logic, reason, and principle. Instead they selfishly demand change based upon "feels".

6. A unified anti-gun message is coordinated and transmitted across all spectrum of communication.

The stakes in this "war" are huge. These same tactics were used during the Vietnam Anti-War protests. Their "success" resulted in the genocide of over 7 million, after the fall of South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Our Founding Fathers had it right. Unless we all unite for our cause, we will surly pay a terrible price in the future.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    SnoopLoggyDog, I would mostly agree with you. I know my efforts are really a drop in the bucket, but they are a drop.
    Do you have suggestions?

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    SnoopLoggyDog, I would mostly agree with you. I know my efforts are really a drop in the bucket, but they are a drop.
    Do you have suggestions?

First thing that comes to mind is an INGO group meeting. We are all separately trying to do our part. It is time that we all meet somewhere and share ideas. There are some very intelligent members on INGO. All INGO members would be welcome to attend. The overarching theme would be action that we can take to protect and support our 2nd Amendment Freedoms.

We could come up with a common agenda prior to the meeting. That can be worked out here in this forum. Off the top of my head, it could be something like;

1. Welcome
    2. Rules of the meeting/discussion (Presented by Churchmouse?)
    3. Short discussion on the establishment of the 2nd Amendment (Presented by one of our esteemed INGO lawyers)
    4. General observations of the current course of events (Group discussion)
    5. Ideas for action that we can take to protect and support our 2nd Amendment Freedoms. (Group discussion)
    6. Agree to common course of action and whatever else we want to discuss
    7. Set next meeting date, time, location, agenda.
    8. Adjourn to a local cheeseburger establishment.

The members of INGO would have to decide upon a meeting facilitator, to keep us on track.

We would also have to decide upon some common meeting rules. Would probably be best to use the current INGO rules. Anything too formal and it will **** people off. Too lax and it will be mob rule.

What do you guys think?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    <SNIP>

The stakes in this "war" are huge. These same tactics were used during the Vietnam Anti-War protests. Their "success" resulted in the genocide of over 7 million, after the fall of South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

<SNIP>

Can you enlighten those of us who weren't around then? It is nice to share the parallels (Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Learn about operating systems, popular programming languages, social media platforms, networks and how to hack them.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Can you enlighten those of us who weren't around then? It is nice to share the parallels (Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it)

Some of the things I remember are;

1. News media unified in their coverage against the war. (Big three TV networks, NY Times, Washington Post, Time, Newsweek)

2. Vilifying of the military members who served there. Burning of Draft cards and refusal to discuss specific issues about the war. (All or Nothing Thinking)

3. Massive Civil Disobedience protest movement, spawned by leftest college students. Soon became an all out rejection of Western values. (This opposition was well organized)

4. Embracing Marxist ideas by seeing the defeat of the South, as a victory for humanity. In reality, it lead to a massive immigration wave of people trying to escape Communist oppression and genocide. (During my active duty days, I volunteered at a Boat People refugee camp in Okinawa)

5. Hollywood and celebrities embracing the Anti-war movement, along with their rejection and all out hostility towards the U.S. military. (except for John Wayne)
    540497161e5f948609d1c677df18810a.jpg

6. The Anti-War movement embraced ridicule and shaming, to shut down discussion about the facts behind how we got in the war in the first place. (JFK & LBJ)

Involvement in the Vietnam War was a complex subject with no easy answers. A lot of the same tactics used back then, are popping up again in the current Anti-Gun movement.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Snoop, do you think those tactics had an impact on ending the war or just a PR smear campaign? I ask because I was looking for some of the actual rhetoric used in the anti-war protests and came across an excerpt from a scholarly journal which argues the opposite.

[FONT=&quot]Contrary to beliefs popular in some circles, those who protested against the Vietnam War were not instrumental in bringing it to an end. Public reaction to demonstrations was so negative that such actions may actually have prolonged the war by hardening attitudes of many Americans. The anti‐war protesters failed to sway public opinion because of a variety of rhetorical factors. Some of these were under the control of the protesters, while others were inherent in their intended audience.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]J. Justin Gustainis & Dan F. Hahn[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2009)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]While the whole world watched: Rhetorical failures of anti‐war protest,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Communication Quarterly,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]36:3,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]203-216.[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    First thing that comes to mind is an INGO group meeting. We are all separately trying to do our part. It is time that we all meet somewhere and share ideas. There are some very intelligent members on INGO. All INGO members would be welcome to attend. The overarching theme would be action that we can take to protect and support our 2nd Amendment Freedoms.

We could come up with a common agenda prior to the meeting. That can be worked out here in this forum. Off the top of my head, it could be something like;

1. Welcome
    2. Rules of the meeting/discussion (Presented by Churchmouse?)
    3. Short discussion on the establishment of the 2nd Amendment (Presented by one of our esteemed INGO lawyers)
    4. General observations of the current course of events (Group discussion)
    5. Ideas for action that we can take to protect and support our 2nd Amendment Freedoms. (Group discussion)
    6. Agree to common course of action and whatever else we want to discuss
    7. Set next meeting date, time, location, agenda.
    8. Adjourn to a local cheeseburger establishment.

The members of INGO would have to decide upon a meeting facilitator, to keep us on track.

We would also have to decide upon some common meeting rules. Would probably be best to use the current INGO rules. Anything too formal and it will **** people off. Too lax and it will be mob rule.

What do you guys think?

I'll be there.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Snoop, do you think those tactics had an impact on ending the war or just a PR smear campaign? I ask because I was looking for some of the actual rhetoric used in the anti-war protests and came across an excerpt from a scholarly journal which argues the opposite.

[FONT=&amp]Contrary to beliefs popular in some circles, those who protested against the Vietnam War were not instrumental in bringing it to an end. Public reaction to demonstrations was so negative that such actions may actually have prolonged the war by hardening attitudes of many Americans. The anti‐war protesters failed to sway public opinion because of a variety of rhetorical factors. Some of these were under the control of the protesters, while others were inherent in their intended audience.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]J. Justin Gustainis & Dan F. Hahn[/FONT][FONT=&amp](2009)[/FONT][FONT=&amp]While the whole world watched: Rhetorical failures of anti‐war protest,[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Communication Quarterly,[/FONT][FONT=&amp]36:3,[/FONT][FONT=&amp]203-216.[/FONT]

I agree with the authors findings. The anti-war message was conveyed in such a radical way, it had the unintended consequence of prolonging the war. In the same way, the hysterics of the Anti-gunners, is hardening the stance of the pro 2nd Amendment believers.

However, demographics is not on our side. Fewer youth take up hunting or shooting sports. All they know about firearms is what the movies, TV and video games portray. They grow up indoctrinated that personal responsibility is the duty of Big Brother, (Nanny State). If we are going to take a stand, now is the time. Otherwise, the next generation will have no idea why the 2nd is so important.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I agree with the authors findings. The anti-war message was conveyed in such a radical way, it had the unintended consequence of prolonging the war. In the same way, the hysterics of the Anti-gunners, is hardening the stance of the pro 2nd Amendment believers.

However, demographics is not on our side. Fewer youth take up hunting or shooting sports. All they know about firearms is what the movies, TV and video games portray. They grow up indoctrinated that personal responsibility is the duty of Big Brother, (Nanny State). If we are going to take a stand, now is the time. Otherwise, the next generation will have no idea why the 2nd is so important.

Not until it's too late, at any rate!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For those that have not been following what is going on on Youtube, let me quickly summarize. Many Youtube gun channels have been demonitized and cannot earn advertising money like they used to. This happened a while ago (last summer?). Since then, Youtube has been deleting videos and issuing strikes against gun channels for violations of community guidelines. The community guidelines are vague and are left wide open for interpretation. Now Youtube has issued more firearm specific guidelines that can get channels banned. So the rules changed that can affect old videos and now channels can be banned for stuff that was posted years ago. There are probably more details I am leaving out and lots more specifics.
    Watch Military Arms Channel's take on what is going on with Youtube and the second amendment in general.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRAHNjhsZjc

So given that liberals own the airwaves (I know there are exceptions), and Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and others... How can we continue to get our message across and not lose our voice?

I am doing some things, but need your help in 2 areas. I am looking for other ideas that we all can do.

Here are things I am doing. What else can I do.
    1. I wrote my representatives at least twice a week right now telling them no new gin control. This is not social media, but in legal terms, it is one of the end games that needs to be won.
    2. I place comments on much of the anti-gun crap on Yahoo news. I probably need to do it on CNN too, but their site is just covered with it and It would take more time. Yeah, I probably shout.
    3. I try to post some judicious posts on Facebook. I do not do it often as I hate fighting with my anti-gun friends and I do not like to look like guns are my life purpose, so i do it off and on.
    4. I like the crap out of gun stuff on Facebook. This includes pages of manufactures, dealers, activists, and conservative content creators. I also like, comment and hashtag pro-gun and anti-anti-gun posts.
    5. I hash tag any post that talks about Youtube censorship.
    6. I share some of this crap including ant-gun news, and legislation with a group on Facebook that is pro-gun, so my friends are aware and can take action.
    7. I have left numerous feedback messages on Youtube on their stance.
    8. I opened an account with Patreon, and will support up to 10 channels with $1 each. It is small, but it can help. Patreon, is a platform for people to post content (blogs, comments, podcasts, videos), where the viewers can make contributions to help support and fund the content.
    9. I have subscribed to all outlets I can find of my favorite pro-gun content/creators/youtubers/bloggers/podcasters. This does nothing really for anyone else but me and those I can influence but it can help the content providers say relevant if Youtube drops them tomorrow, they have alternative outlets.

FYI - Hashtags make things able to be found in searches. It is not magic, but can make finding the similarities of content easier. I keep a document that has several hashtags that I use (mostly made up by me) and I copy and paste, so I do not have to remember and type a bunch of crap. Be careful as if you do the same Facebook will flag it as spam if they find things too similar and in close succession (they have an algorithm for that). Change it up and spread them out over several minutes in between.

Things I just thought of...
    1. I should start adding the hashtags of the anti-gun movement when called for. This way it can pollute their searches with pro-gun content and use the social media against them.
    2. I need to be more vocal to the non-gun crowd. Again, my intent is to educate, inform and to enlighten not to bash liberals, or be insulting as that does not work to convince people.

What else am I missing? Do you think you could/should do some of the stuff I am doing?

I know much of the above is a drop in the bucket and will have very little impact, but I am trying to do my part to win and not lose the hearts and minds of the masses. The anti-gunners are organized, and they have more favorable status with the media, and their voice feels bigger, when it is not. We need to win battles in the media. What else can I do and what will you do?

Offer to take people shooting. Demystify this stuff to those that are willing to consider it.

Every so often I post on my facebook page my standing invitation to try shooting out. Unfortunately, I haven't had anyone take me up on it yet. But it sounds like your social media circle is larger and maybe you'd have better luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Offer to take people shooting. Demystify this stuff to those that are willing to consider it.

Every so often I post on my facebook page my standing invitation to try shooting out. Unfortunately, I haven't had anyone take me up on it yet. But it sounds like your social media circle is larger and maybe you'd have better luck.

I have had limited success with this but not on social media.
    As you know I get a bit twisted up on FB sometimes. The stupid hurts.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have had limited success with this but not on social media.
    As you know I get a bit twisted up on FB sometimes. The stupid hurts.

I do this too. I have contributed to the decision to by 5 firearms or builds in the last 2 months. One owner at a time.

Top Bottom