• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A few years ago, there was a meme that said something similar to "Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg?"

This came up in a discussion last evening at the Christmas Eve dinner table at my parents house. My dad informed me that Humpty was a cannon!

So I fired up my google-fu and did a bit of research after lunch today.

On June 15, 1648, the cannon referred to as “Humpty Dumpty” was positioned on the walls. By this time, the Parliamentarians had surrounded and laid siege to the city, so Humpty was used to bombard the enemy and prevent a full-scale assault. However, on July 14 or 15, a Parliamentarian cannonball blew apart the wall underneath Humpty Dumpty. This collapsed the fortification and sent Humpty Dumpty tumbling to the ground. Due to its size, none of the king’s horses and none of the king’s men were able to recover the cannon. On August 28, the city fell to the Parliamentarians, who eventually triumphed and toppled King Charles I in 1649, thus ending the war.

Source:

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    There are many theories of the origin of Humpty Dumpty.
    "This [cannon] theory gained traction in the 1990s with the publication of a book about nursery-rhyme origins, but the Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes points out that the cannon story originated in a spoof published by Oxford Magazine in 1956".
    https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/02/28/humpty-dumpty/?D6c=1&D_4_6cALL=1&D_4_6_10cALL=1

Top Bottom