• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Aug 1, 2011
    Try having a airsoft war with me. You will be walking around and then suddenly I will burst out of a foxhole/ditch and scream ''BANZI!'' and open fire. Then I will sneak away only to attack you again. I heard someone else fought like this but I cant remember who. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Decent quality airsoft replicas will certainly motivate someone to not get shot. They're common for force-on-force and tactics training because they're (relatively) inexpensive and more readily available than simunitions. You also don't need the same level of protective gear.

In August I was in a tactics class with Louis Awerbuck. I got tagged at least a dozen times during the first three scenarios (I got lucky in the 4th!). All but one of them broke the skin. All but one of those was through a tshirt and one took a little chunk of meat out of my bare forearm.

Most people who dismiss the pain motivator of airsoft have either never used gas powered replicas or they wore heavy clothing and gloves (which defeats the purpose in my opinion) so they didn't feel much of it.

Harry2110

Master
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Those tiny yellow balls dont hurt when compared to proper .25 or .20g hard plastic bb's from a proper gun. I would like to get into airsoft its just too expensive.

This thread reminds me of this::D

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether). The light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner. Lets face it, to a 10 yr old mouth-breather like myself, (Ether), really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that I'm going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'.

I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH S&*T! He just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh S**t.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 fricking decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE FRICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE.

There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That son-of-a-bi**h got up and ran off.

So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback:

ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. DAMNIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires..

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later....repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming "Bring him back to life so I can kill him again". Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again, Mom had been *****ing about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.

whocares

Shooter
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I just laughed so hard about five times I woke my little buzzkills up. Thats my term for my kids after 10pm or on the weekends. That is a seriously awesome and hillarious story. If there was a best of INGO page this should be on it with a gold medal.

I say to my wife all the time, " I cant relate to my son, he is so calm and polite, he plays video games on sunny days," I have 11 acres backing up to Silver Creek which is a large creek, and he wants to play inside. I have said I wish he would go melt some action figures with my gasoline or try to steal my cigarettes, something I can understand. I mean yeah I will be pissed when I caught him burning his name in the yard or sick from smoking a cigarette, but I could actually say to myself, " yeah thats what little boys do."

I say to my wife all the time, " I cant relate to my son, he is so calm and polite, he plays video games on sunny days," I have 11 acres backing up to Silver Creek which is a large creek, and he wants to play inside. I have said I wish he would go melt some action figures with my gasoline or try to steal my cigarettes, something I can understand. I mean yeah I will be pissed when I caught him burning his name in the yard or sick from smoking a cigarette, but I could actually say to myself, " yeah thats what little boys do."
    It's the internet. They've already seen everything and if they decide they want to see something it's quicker and easier to type it and watch someone else take the risk....:twocents:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Aug 1, 2011
    Regarding the story about the home made nuclear bomb :D. One time in my back yard I was playing with army men in my sandbox. (I now have a pool where the sandbox and the backyard was.) I decided I want to make it a real war. I got black cats (with my dads permission.) and placed the army men over 2 black cats each. Then I stole one of my sisters dolls. You can see where this is going. I ripped the head of filled it with 8 black cats. Made a fuse and then took a match to all the fuses. My sister watched in rage as the fuse burned down on one of her dolls. She said I could have it but you know girls and there dolls. LET ME TELL YOU! Not as big as the home made nuke but it was big. The only thing left was a few limbs the lucky army man who survived somehow and the sand in the box. Funnest day of my life. Or one of the funnest days

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Decent quality airsoft replicas will certainly motivate someone to not get shot. They're common for force-on-force and tactics training because they're (relatively) inexpensive and more readily available than simunitions. You also don't need the same level of protective gear.

In August I was in a tactics class with Louis Awerbuck. I got tagged at least a dozen times during the first three scenarios (I got lucky in the 4th!). All but one of them broke the skin. All but one of those was through a tshirt and one took a little chunk of meat out of my bare forearm.

Most people who dismiss the pain motivator of airsoft have either never used gas powered replicas or they wore heavy clothing and gloves (which defeats the purpose in my opinion) so they didn't feel much of it.

Airsoft definately has a place, I have been using them in classes since the late nineties and early 2000's when the really good reliable ones started to show up. This past cycle we set up a shoot/no-shoot scenario house with the Privates using M4 airsoft and it went really well. The other end of the street was using CCMCK simunition rounds for force on force but with the military and their over the top risk assessments they had so much protective gear on they wouldn't even know they were hit so it wasn't very good training down there.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Growing up, we did all kinds of stupid ****. Wars with the neighbor kids using BB's, pellets, frozen paintballs. We would stand in a circle, launch an arrow straight in the air, and the huddle together while staring at the ground waiting to be impaled. Jousting on bicycles led to 4 wheeler joisting. Experiments with gasoline, black powder, and cannon fuse. At one point we even had a fight club.

And my parents wonder why I don't want kids :rolleyes:

jdg0724

Marksman
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    my son has three or four 500+ FPS airsoft guns and they do hurt like hell. He has an M4 that will really put a hurting on you. I found out the hard way. I just had shooting glasses and he triple tapped me across the face from about 50 ft and I still have the marks on me. I woulkd reccommend full mask if you are having airsoft wars with high powered airsoft rifles, or pistols for that matter. He has a gas powered blow-back 1911 that will put the hurt on you too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ooh, I'm freezin some paintballs. May have to blow some stuff up once the weather is cold enough to keep the potential witnesses inside.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Its good for training. The welt just means that where you would of gotten shot. Its called force on force. But I agree prob shouldnt shoot the boy...well unless he's shooting at you then its on , lol :)

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I just bought my son a Beretta 90 Two Airsoft. That thing is cool as hell but it's only spring loaded instead of C02. It even has a 15 round magazine.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    This made me laugh so hard I cried.....:bowdown:

This thread reminds me of this::D

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether). The light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner. Lets face it, to a 10 yr old mouth-breather like myself, (Ether), really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that I'm going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'.

I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH S&*T! He just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh S**t.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 fricking decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE FRICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE.

There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That son-of-a-bi**h got up and ran off.

So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback:

ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. DAMNIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires..

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later....repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming "Bring him back to life so I can kill him again". Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again, Mom had been *****ing about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    my version of "air-soft" as a kid was pushing a q-tip down the muzzle of my daisy 860. lots of fun shooting each other in the house. outside it was bb's; when we were being nice, it was limited to 2 or 3 pumps. long range or revenge shots called for 10 pumps.

back in i think '02 or '03, i went to the urgent care with a nagging chest cold. this was the year of SARS, and i think the doctor was determined to diagnose the first case of it in north carolina. i had to get a chest x-ray in the office, and looking at the films, the nurse asked me if i wore a necklace during the x-ray. i told her no, and she then asked me if i'd ever been shot. i said no (thinking of actual firearms), then remembered and said "well, my sister shot me in the chest with a bb gun when we were kids." she replied, "it's still in there." one bright shiny dot on the film. they said that if it hasn't given me any trouble by now, it probably never will.

note to any zombie or cannibal that may overtake me; chew my left pectoral carefully, you don't want to break a tooth on an embedded bb.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Aug 1, 2011
    my version of "air-soft" as a kid was pushing a q-tip down the muzzle of my daisy 860. lots of fun shooting each other in the house. outside it was bb's; when we were being nice, it was limited to 2 or 3 pumps. long range or revenge shots called for 10 pumps.

back in i think '02 or '03, i went to the urgent care with a nagging chest cold. this was the year of SARS, and i think the doctor was determined to diagnose the first case of it in north carolina. i had to get a chest x-ray in the office, and looking at the films, the nurse asked me if i wore a necklace during the x-ray. i told her no, and she then asked me if i'd ever been shot. i said no (thinking of actual firearms), then remembered and said "well, my sister shot me in the chest with a bb gun when we were kids." she replied, "it's still in there." one bright shiny dot on the film. they said that if it hasn't given me any trouble by now, it probably never will.

note to any zombie or cannibal that may overtake me; chew my left pectoral carefully, you don't want to break a tooth on an embedded bb.
    reminds me of that 1 time.:D

Top Bottom