• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I occasionally browse Kickstarter to see what is coming out, but have never backed one of the projects. I finally decided to back one after I found the super book. Seems like it is a very cool idea and at a good price point. It doesn't have any internal storage but sounds like you can leave a flash drive plugged in and shouldn't have any issues. Very good alternative to a chromebook or small laptop.

Anything else on Kickstarter that I'm missing out on?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Interesting idea. Several android phones had similar "docks" that made them into a "laptop", but I think it is a better time for it since processing power has grown.

I can see myself hold out for this instead of getting a Chrome book.. maybe..

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I occasionally browse Kickstarter to see what is coming out, but have never backed one of the projects. I finally decided to back one after I found the super book. Seems like it is a very cool idea and at a good price point. It doesn't have any internal storage but sounds like you can leave a flash drive plugged in and shouldn't have any issues. Very good alternative to a chromebook or small laptop.

Anything else on Kickstarter that I'm missing out on?

I see the new Galaxy has 256Gb on flash, so memory shouldn't be an issue. Data transfer between the SB and phone might be, but I'm not sure.

My concerns would be:

1) Battery life of the phone while plugged into the SB (and battery life of the SB if they're separate)
    2) Can your phone be used while plugged into the SB
    3) Can you access home Wifi instead of using the phone's Wifi (and hitting its data limits)

Replacement batteries for the SB could be an issue down the line; nearly as much as the SB itself!

If you get positive answers for those 3 questions, $99 is not that big of a risk.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I see the new Galaxy has 256Gb on flash, so memory shouldn't be an issue. Data transfer between the SB and phone might be, but I'm not sure.

My concerns would be:

1) Battery life of the phone while plugged into the SB (and battery life of the SB if they're separate)
    2) Can your phone be used while plugged into the SB
    3) Can you access home Wifi instead of using the phone's Wifi (and hitting its data limits)

Replacement batteries for the SB could be an issue down the line; nearly as much as the SB itself!

If you get positive answers for those 3 questions, $99 is not that big of a risk.

So from what I have been reading in the comments section from the creator I can answer your questions.

1. Yes phones having more storage is nice, my plan is to get one of the tiny flash drives and plug it into the port. Yes you can only access it when your phone is plugged in.

2. They say the battery life is 10 hours. This includes the sb charging your phone when it is plugged in.

3. I believe you have full access to your phone while plugged in. They talk about making video calls using your phone while also using the sb.

4. The sb doesn't connect to your phone using bluetooth or wifi, only through the cable. This means that you can use your phone to connect to anything else while using the sb.

For $99 it seems like a heck of a deal.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    My concern would be burning thru your phone data plan limit while on the SB. Seems it should have its own Wifi that can connect to your home network instead or relying on the phone alone.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My concern would be burning thru your phone data plan limit while on the SB. Seems it should have its own Wifi that can connect to your home network instead or relying on the phone alone.

You can still use your phone to connect to a wifi network while on the SB. I think they wanted to keep the SB as simple and low cost as possible. The wifi thing doesn't bother me. My phone is capable of AC Wifi.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Most if not all smart phones can connect to a home or other wifi if available, when connected to wifi it doesn't use the plans data.

Top Bottom