• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is the rifle of that era that I have that is in the worst shape. Pics below.

1. The lock is missing. I found a Tower 1862 original lock that’s ’in the mail’.
    2. In the empty lock picture the crack in the stock will have to be dealt with.
    3. I think someone put the barrel in a steel vice to try and remove the percussion nipple scarring the barrel and hosing up the nipple. The nipple removal will be the most difficult to deal with. The marks on the barrel might get knocked down a bit but not much else.
    4. Someone sanded the bejesus out of the stock and installed a ‘Hot Shot’ medallion. I bet for a kid to play with. For now it will only be oiled and I am leaving in the medallion just for shytes and giggles.
    5. The remaining missing parts will be replaced with reproductions. New nipple, action stock screw, rear sling swivel, lock screws, and ramrod.

When I am done I will probably have more into it than it’s worth but “I” will at least have a working civil war era Enfield P53.
    IMG_0790.jpeg IMG_0792.jpeg IMG_0794.jpeg

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Thanks for pics. I applaud your efforts to save this one. Is goal to have a shooter or wall hanger. Looking forward to progress reports.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It’s a bummer how some folk don’t appreciate the history behind things. Glad you do and you’re going out of your way two make it run again! How is the bore?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If you were closer I'd machine the nipple out.......I bought one those 1862's , found out mine had an incorrect (but really rare Springfield) ram rod....sold the ram rod for 4 times what I paid for the rifle

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Keep us informed, glad to see an old warhorse being restored. I saw a repop , this weekend, can’t remember what year but it was cheap, but out of my price range, might have to try and get some money for one, love those guns!!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It’s a bummer how some folk don’t appreciate the history behind things. Glad you do and you’re going out of your way two make it run again! How is the bore?
    I have 4 different civil war era rifles and all of them look like a nice home for spiders. These were in someone’s attic for a long time. Here is a picture down the barrel. You can still see some rifling left but it’s not cleaned up yet. I will clean it and steam it to turn any rust into oxide and soak in an oil product to stop any more rust.
    IMG_0768.png

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you were closer I'd machine the nipple out.......I bought one those 1862's , found out mine had an incorrect (but really rare Springfield) ram rod....sold the ram rod for 4 times what I paid for the rifle
    So far the only original ramrod I have found is for my Springfield trapdoor so I will settle for reproductions for these. My thought is making them whole and shootable. The rifle that’s only missing one part, a front band spring, is the Potsdam 1809 in .70 caliber. Might be because they were not appreciated and were given to back line soldiers and not fired much. Just a guess.

Top Bottom