• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You should plan for the worst possible, all lesser instances will be covered.

"Worst possible" instance would be extremely subjective.

All other instances being covered by any one instance is just false.
    Pros for your worst possible instance could be very serious cons for many other more probable instances and vice versa.

If your statement were true, there really would be only one undisputed best way to carry.
    Both have their pros and cons which reasoning individuals weigh for their own circumstances and then choose accordingly.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are rules against or at least recommendations against Open carry certain places where I live. I walked into Wal-Mart carrying openly and they asked me to leave the store and cover it up. I ended up having to go out to my car and put on some huge t-shirt that had been in my trunk for a month. They said they did not want to alarm their customers.

The point I am trying to make with this story is, I now always carry concealed. Not because I think its better or worse, but because I will never be asked to leave a store, go out to my car and change if they do not know its there.

Also, in regards to the argument of "the chances of getting burglarized is far more common that a mass murder" may be true. But, 99% of the time, if you stay out of bad areas and stay alert, the probability of both probably are (and unfortunately are closer than you may think)

I mean, have you seen some of the little freaks that run around our state now-a-days? :D

Do they have a sign saying no firearms in there store? I open carry in Walmart all the time....

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do they have a sign saying no firearms in there store? I open carry in Walmart all the time....

No. Sign wouldn't matter either way. You can OC in Walmart all you want.

What this guy got was a hotshot manager with a stick up his ass. 95% of places don't give a crap if you OC. It's the 5% that feel like starting something because of their personal beliefs and emotions that take advantage of the whole "trespassing" thing.

Oh, and 63% of percentages are made up on the spot... o.o

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    I have open carried a few times but it was not out of choice. Im all for allowing someone to open carry if that is what they like to do. I prefer to conceal my weapon; that is just my preference.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have open carried a few times but it was not out of choice. Im all for allowing someone to open carry if that is what they like to do. I prefer to conceal my weapon; that is just my preference.

Good thing we don't have to ask your permission ;)

Just kidding, odd choice of words

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Open Carry? Why? What for?
    To call attention to yourself? To feel Macho? To garner stares from those around you?
    (seriously..some folks OC because if makes them feel like Superman)

I prefer CC simply because I do NOT want folks to know that I am armed.
    I don't wish to 'advertise' the fact and have no point to make.

There is also the element of surprise, as I have experienced.
    Several years ago, when I was out for an exercise walk I had two guys watching me very closely. They waited for me to get close to them and one nodded to the other, which I took as a signal that they were sizing me up for a mugging.
    I opened my coat, put my hand on my holstered Glock and when they saw me do this, they looked at each other and walked away.

OC if you wish, but I prefer the element of surprise.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Open Carry? Why? What for?
    To call attention to yourself? To feel Macho? To garner stares from those around you?
    (seriously..some folks OC because if makes them feel like Superman)

I prefer CC simply because I do NOT want folks to know that I am armed.
    I don't wish to 'advertise' the fact and have no point to make.

There is also the element of surprise, as I have experienced.
    Several years ago, when I was out for an exercise walk I had two guys watching me very closely. They waited for me to get close to them and one nodded to the other, which I took as a signal that they were sizing me up for a mugging.
    I opened my coat, put my hand on my holstered Glock and when they saw me do this, they looked at each other and walked away.

OC if you wish, but I prefer the element of surprise.

Did you not even read the first post in this thread? :scratch:

Then you contradicted your own "element of surprise" reason and proved the deterrence effect of a visible firearm..
    Once they saw your gun, they left you alone, right?
    Had you been open carrying to begin with, wouldn't these two have left you alone for the same reason - that they saw your gun?

How was surprise used to any advantage to you there?

It seems that concealing actually made you look like a nice easy target up until you switched.
    Is that really your purpose in keeping it hidden? To look like an easy target? :dunno:
    Is there any benefit to getting as close to victimization as possible before you pull back the Clark Kent shirt and expose your hidden S ?

I hope whatever you get from that is worth it. If your situational awareness fails you or your "surprise" timing is off, things could go very poorly for you ...or the person you thought was sizing you up.
    If they weren't, they're liable to think they are about to be victimized by you because of your late-breaking exposure and hand movement toward the gun. They might just take you out.

As for me, I don't want to be selected for a crime and I don't want to have to shoot anyone.

Last edited:

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    :Did you not even read the first post in this thread? ":scratch:
    I did. Did you?
    By your odd logic, and the fact that my Glock was hidden, you try to twist my statement and imply that I was hoping to "bait" the two clowns by appearing to be an easy victim.
    My reason for carrying concealed is done to NOT draw attention to myself. I prefer to not garner unnecessary attention by carrying openly.
    I'll leave that to the Roy Rogers types.

My "situational awareness" is quite good, thank you, and without the paranoia of worrying that a kook lurks around every corner or behind every tree.

Desperate Democrats

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I did. Did you?

If you read the OP, why would you still ask such absurd questions?
    The essay gave plenty of reasons why a person would OC and shot holes in your surprise reason.
    Your story helped to further solidify that exact point.
    Perhaps you were looking only for an emotional argument since you didn't address any of the previously discussed points or reasoning.

By your odd logic, and the fact that my Glock was hidden, you try to twist my statement and imply that I was hoping to "bait" the two clowns by appearing to be an easy victim.

I didn't twist anything. I asked several questions which you don't seem to want to answer.
    If you answered the questions I might better understand why you esteem "surprise" so much higher than deterrence or avoidance.

My reason for carrying concealed is done to NOT draw attention to myself. I prefer to not garner unnecessary attention by carrying openly.
    I'll leave that to the Roy Rogers types.

But the real question is: why such animosity toward those who prefer to carry differently than you? Where does that come from?

Attention may be your only deciding factor but it is not the only factor (or even a major one) that many consider when deciding how they want to carry. You'd know that if you'd read this thread.

My "situational awareness" is quite good, thank you, and without the paranoia of worrying that a kook lurks around every corner or behind every tree.

If you say so. Now are you going to respond to the questions or just throw out some more fluff? :dunno:

Top Bottom