• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Same here to you brother. You and Tiff will definitely be on the visit list when we come back home.

In addition to the many spiritual blessings we've shared, thank you for also getting me into the shooting sports.

Amen to that. Now that Ohio is out of the stone ages and recognizes our LTCH it isn't off my list either, but that is a little far for Sunday service ;)

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've never shot any competitions or anything like that before. Would coming Saturday be beneficial? I'm not great with a handgun and I want to push to get better. What do I need? Mag carrier? Dual mag carrier? Shoot me vest? My friend Chase normally goes to these and of course the first one I have time for he can't make.

If you think you might be interested, coming out and watching a match & asking questions is a great idea.

I wouldn't round up / buy anything until after checking things out and I wouldn't recommend participating until you have practiced enough to get familiar with whatever you choose for equipment. Lots of folks say just come out & shoot though, just my opinion.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I've carried a gun for years. I've taken several classes. I have one double mag pouch and a single mag pouch already. Guess I can just bring both. I guess I'm just more self conscious of how I'll measure up since I've never done a competition.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I guess I'm just more self conscious of how I'll measure up since I've never done a competition.

If you are good at pasteing & resetting targets then you will measure up really well :) .
    Shooting wise, just having fun & being safe is a great goal while you are new and some folks really pretty much stick with that for the long term.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've carried a gun for years. I've taken several classes. I have one double mag pouch and a single mag pouch already. Guess I can just bring both. I guess I'm just more self conscious of how I'll measure up since I've never done a competition.

You can read up more about it here: IDPA - Welcome!

Coming the first time and just watching is helpful.

3 magazines is good, two will work if that's all you have.
    A good holster.
    Mag carriers you have covered.
    Cover garment such as a vest.
    Sun screen, drinking water.

Come on down and join us. Don't worry about how you measure up in the beginning. We were all new once.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Red Brush Match is on for Saturday May 2nd.

Saturday will be our annual "Re-Run" match. There will be 4 stages of about 14 rounds each. Each stage will be run 2 times, with your best run being counted for your score. Setup begins at 7, registration starts at 8:30, new shooter meeting at 9:30 & match begins at 10.

Anyone that can stay after the match and help tear down is always appreciated.

Entry fee of $15.00 per gun.

Directions: Red Brush Rifle Range » Directions

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Oh - If you are headed to the match Saturday driving south on Hwy 61.

Road construction might be done by then? If not:

Drive past 1st set of barricades and as far south as is possible. If you drive into a hole from the ditch crossing they are working on then you went 20 yards too far. Go left, you are just a wee bit north of where you want to be but close enough that you can see the range, after not very far you will see a gravel road to your right that takes you to Eble road.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow! This is Soccer Season and Big Man is already on a tear! Hope to be back in action maybe sometime for a Lewisport USPSA shoot! have fun!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Well, I suppose I did alright for shooting a semi-new gun, complete with "malfunctions". :laugh:
    It does make me wonder what my times could've looked like had all those stoppages not happened.

Some of those MM and Unclassified guys whooped up on my score. I need to up my game. :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I need to up my game. :D

A lighter recoil spring, keep moving fast, take an extra tenth on the shot, and you will be another of the young sob's that I can't shoot with.

Sooner rather than later I think.

I thought we had a great squad, everyone was very safe & the stage reset stuff just seemed to happen.

DustyDawg - Even though you were not there I still enjoyed talking about you!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A lighter recoil spring, keep moving fast, take an extra tenth on the shot, and you will be another of the young sob's that I can't shoot with.

Sooner rather than later I think.

I thought we had a great squad, everyone was very safe & the stage reset stuff just seemed to happen.

DustyDawg - Even though you were not there I still enjoyed talking about you!!

I'm sure you did! I mean, we LOVE talking about you when you aren't around so it is only fair :D LOLOL

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm sure you did! I mean, we LOVE talking about you when you aren't around so it is only fair :D LOLOL

HAH! :laugh:

So on the topic of recoil springs, I'm thinking I'll order a Jager rod with 13# spring. Question is, get the polymer or the steel rod? I know IDPA is cool with replacements as long as they're not heavier than stainless, but not sure if they are ok in GSSF...
    edit: Not GSSF-legal

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    West Side Sportsman's Club will be holding our monthly IDPA Match on

Saturday, May 9th. Sign up starts at 10AM, new shooter orientation at
    10:30AM, shooting starts at 11:00AM.

We will have 6 Courses of Fire,
    and there will be a minimum round count
    of about 100. The cost will be
    $15.00 per weapon. Feel free to contact
    me or go to the IDPA website for the
    rules. http://www.idpa.com/

WSSC
    members that would like to help setup be there at 8am.

Please be aware
    there is a 5 MPH speed limit on the clubs property.

Top Bottom