• Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My new .40 ran pretty well

Details man, details.

Hated missing Saturday. Went to the Battle of the Bluegrass in Lexington (of all the times not to own a Wisconsin or Duke baseball cap :( ). They used electronic scoring so naturally things got all screwed up and it took two or three hours to get things going after the match, but it was a great match. Saw one shooter walk just a wee smidge too far before shooting a target on their side & get a 180 DQ, and arrived at our last stage just after a very experienced shooter (spandex rainbow colored shirt & all that stuff) dropped the hammer on a live round during unload & show clear & got a DQ.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Details man, details.

Hated missing Saturday. Went to the Battle of the Bluegrass in Lexington (of all the times not to own a Wisconsin or Duke baseball cap :( ). They used electronic scoring so naturally things got all screwed up and it took two or three hours to get things going after the match, but it was a great match. Saw one shooter walk just a wee smidge too far before shooting a target on their side & get a 180 DQ, and arrived at our last stage just after a very experienced shooter (spandex rainbow colored shirt & all that stuff) dropped the hammer on a live round during unload & show clear & got a DQ.

The DQ's Just made your day didn't it. :)
    We missed you at WSSC, we were in need of one more soul to pick on. :)

He bought one of those Tupperware black 40's that you enjoy so much with a model number of 35. It appears to fit him well.

Last edited:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I think it shot fairly well having not sent one round out of it before match time. the factory federal Walmart ammo I used wasn't as stout as I expected (considering it's around 177PF, based on the muzzle velocity printed on the box). I bet I could rustle up some nice puffy rounds for SSP/Production.:rockwoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think it shot fairly well having not sent one round out of it before match time. the factory federal Walmart ammo I used wasn't as stout as I expected (considering it's around 177PF, based on the muzzle velocity printed on the box). I bet I could rustle up some nice puffy rounds for SSP/Production.:rockwoot:

Now that you brought it up at the WSSC match, it was sort of a 'duh' moment for me LOLOL I never once thought about factory .40 being 'Major' around 165,000 PF for USPSA. No wonder the massive difference lol :ugh:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Details man, details.

Why I lurk and read at INGO:

1. I have unloaded and show clear countless times. Never gave it much thought. I practice this at the range, unload and clear. never give it a second. Give it your full attention, every time.
    2. 180 is easy to remember when going slow. Speed up a bit sweeping "accidentally" happens.
    3. New toys are always needed and testing them out is expensive. (i need another hostler, too.)
    4. This thread never dies.
    5. If you wear rainbow spandex, someone will make a note. Black spandex is another story. NASCAR shooting jerseys are the bomb and hide 10 pounds of winter fat well.

Love INGO.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Why I lurk and read at INGO:

1. I have unloaded and show clear countless times. Never gave it much thought. I practice this at the range, unload and clear. never give it a second. Give it your full attention, every time.
    2. 180 is easy to remember when going slow. Speed up a bit sweeping "accidentally" happens.
    3. New toys are always needed and testing them out is expensive. (i need another hostler, too.)
    4. This thread never dies.
    5. If you wear rainbow spandex, someone will make a note. Black spandex is another story. NASCAR shooting jerseys are the bomb and hide 10 pounds of winter fat well.

Love INGO.

More people need to do this...not necessarily the lurking part but the reading part. After you've seen several of those 'oops' moments you start to figure out where they come from and how to avoid or help avoid them.

I think one of the biggest I've seen with new shooters and the 180 degree issue is their individual range time. Many of them don't practice with a holster and they are used to being finished and then turing around and taking their gun back to their range bag or their shooting table. Probably not the guy in the story's reason though..inattention is the mother of all calamities!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think one of the biggest I've seen with new shooters and the 180 degree issue is their individual range time. Many of them don't practice with a holster and they are used to being finished and then turing around and taking their gun back to their range bag or their shooting table. Probably not the guy in the story's reason though..inattention is the mother of all calamities!

The ones I've seen (or otherwise participated in :( ) so far:
    1. Drawing before getting turned on a facing up range start (classifier match).
    2. Nervous new shooter just turning around with loaded gun for no apparent reason after shooting the last target (Lake stage, TJ can move like a flash of light when he sees a gun swinging toward him).
    3. Turning with gun to run backwards and swinging the gun completely around toward the s.o. & etc. (House, I prefer to believe that the shooter had his finger off of the trigger when moving).
    4. Running parallel to the 180 and letting the gun wander to the wrong side of the 180 (house).
    5. Coming back to a missed target but not coming back far enough.
    6. Right handed shooter running to his left or vica versa and swinging the gun around on a reload.
    7. Backing out of a truck cab & turning around in a circle to your left when you need to turn right (Eadens can also move like lighting when he sees that muzzle headed his way).
    8. Just letting yourself get a little too far up range before shooting a target to your side.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can attest to TJ's speed because I was the one he grabbed to push me out of the way! that .45 cal muzzle DOES look like a 5-gallon bucket when you are looking at the business end of it!

I don't think I've been witness to too many thankfully. I've managed to stop a shooter where they were moving up range and continued to shoot at a target as they were passing it by. I caught their arm and told them they were close to a 180 and that their hits were good enough and to move on forward!

I've been the SO with a #3...guy did a great job to save himself but you could tell he knew he about crapped the bed. I hate to say it but I don't think he ever came back despite NOT earning the DQ. He got damned close though. Come to think of it, I don't think the guy from TJ's rescue ever came back either. That is a shame, too. Both were good guys and it was just a momentary lapse...a serious one in some occasions but I'm betting the lesson was learned.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Just an off comment, but after Grelbers many fine examples of electronic scoring given, it does not appear to be the wave of the future.
    I for one when scoring have yet to have the paper to fail to boot up.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm guessing that is what he told you after you got back up. He can think fast also.

:D

That one was scary, but I agree, these guys should have gave it another try. No need to waste those lessons learned. We all do stupid stuff from time to time.

Aside from the lake incident, my most memorable near disaster came on RB bay 1. Or squad had got there just in time to see a guy finish shooting, bend over to pick up a mag while simultaneously putting his gun between his legs thus achieving a point blank muzzle stare from Scott who was sitting on his wagon\chair.

No doubt this guy has done the exact same thing every time he shot. The practice was engrained in him.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :D

That one was scary, but I agree, these guys should have gave it another try. No need to waste those lessons learned. We all do stupid stuff from time to time.

Aside from the lake incident, my most memorable near disaster came on RB bay 1. Or squad had got there just in time to see a guy finish shooting, bend over to pick up a mag while simultaneously putting his gun between his legs thus achieving a point blank muzzle stare from Scott who was sitting on his wagon\chair.

No doubt this guy has done the exact same thing every time he shot. The practice was engrained in him.

i must have missed that 1 !!!!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    What got into Sandbagger on the last WSSC scoresheet? Looks like he brought a big can of whup ass.

If nothing else, it looked like he was NOT playing around.

I bet it was because he wasn't with us, so his concentration wasn't broken every 5 mins by our tomfoolery. :laugh:

Top Bottom