• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Not a car or truck, but hot rod just the same. O360 Lycoming, about 200 horse and lots of fun.

Sold it a few years ago to a 92 year old guy, against my better judgement. The first time he called about it, he had told me his age and he wanted more pics of it. I just tabled it because I knew it wasn't for him. Later on, he contacted me again. This time he insisted on it. Told me that he was more the capable having a lot of time in a 206 Cessna. I tried to tell him, this is a different animal. I ask if he had any taildragger time, he said he did.....when training for the army in 1943.

He had flown a lot over the years, was a bombardier on a B-29 on missions from Guam to Japan in the war. With all the respect in the world, I tried to talk him out of it, but he insisted.

Some of you know, this isn't the same in any way to flying a 206. This plane had limited forward visibility while flying and basically NO forward visibility while on final approach or when you are on the ground. Not to mention the ground handling compared to a nose wheel airplane. But he insisted.

Not long after he got someone to help him get it home to CA, I ran across a pic of it on its belly on a runway in CA with fire trucks around it. He wasn't hurt, but I tried to tell him.

skzwnd.png

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Not a car or truck, but hot rod just the same. O360 Lycoming, about 200 horse and lots of fun.

Sold it a few years ago to a 92 year old guy, against my better judgement. The first time he called about it, he had told me his age and he wanted more pics of it. I just tabled it because I knew it wasn't for him. Later on, he contacted me again. This time he insisted on it. Told me that he was more the capable having a lot of time in a 206 Cessna. I tried to tell him, this is a different animal. I ask if he had any taildragger time, he said he did.....when training for the army in 1943.

He had flown a lot over the years, was a bombardier on a B-29 on missions from Guam to Japan in the war. With all the respect in the world, I tried to talk him out of it, but he insisted.

Some of you know, this isn't the same in any way to flying a 206. This plane had limited forward visibility while flying and basically NO forward visibility while on final approach or when you are on the ground. Not to mention the ground handling compared to a nose wheel airplane. But he insisted.

Not long after he got someone to help him get it home to CA, I ran across a pic of it on its belly on a runway in CA with fire trucks around it. He wasn't hurt, but I tried to tell him.

skzwnd.png
    I'd like a ride in that hotrod!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

skzwnd.png

I sold a Harley with the same trepidation's. The fella that bought it from me found my doubts that he could handle it to be true so he sold it off on the internet with no cautionary warnings.
    I got a phone call from the "New" owner that tracked me down having many questions about the bike.
    They were all tuning related. When I sold it originally I put the "Puss" boy tune up on it for good reason.
    This guy felt there was more to be had so over the course of a month and a few phone conversations I had guided him to what I called the full monti tune up.
    The next call from him he was all giggly with excitement having mastered (he thought) the bike.
    The next call about a month later was from a buddy of his wanting to know where a lot of the parts were bought. Seems he let the bike get him. Tore himself and the bike up real good.
    I will never again do anything like that. Folks just do not understand.

The Bike

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I sold a Harley with the same trepidation's. The fella that bought it from me found my doubts that he could handle it to be true so he sold it off on the internet with no cautionary warnings.
    I got a phone call from the "New" owner that tracked me down having many questions about the bike.
    They were all tuning related. When I sold it originally I put the "Puss" boy tune up on it for good reason.
    This guy felt there was more to be had so over the course of a month and a few phone conversations I had guided him to what I called the full monti tune up.
    The next call from him he was all giggly with excitement having mastered (he thought) the bike.
    The next call about a month later was from a buddy of his wanting to know where a lot of the parts were bought. Seems he let the bike get him. Tore himself and the bike up real good.
    I will never again do anything like that. Folks just do not understand.

The Bike

I'm not a bike rider church, but that's sexy hotness right there! :faint:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a bike rider church, but that's sexy hotness right there! :faint:

If you look close you will see an air shift cylinder in behind the super charger. It had an on board pump to keep the tank charged up with air.
    Nitrous tank just behind the pilots right butt cheek.
    104" of hand built madness. Super charged. Wet system. Insane torque/HP. with the full monti tune it would make 160 H.P. plus at the real wheel at sea level.
    50 HP N20 plate system pushed it out towards 200.
    I ran a best of 10.60's on motor and dipped into the 30's with the spray engaged. Would have gone faster but it blew the tire loose in 2nd and 3rd.
    Not bad for a bike that weighed in north of 700 Lbs with a 255 Lb rider.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If you look close you will see an air shift cylinder in behind the super charger. It had an on board pump to keep the tank charged up with air.
    104" of hand built madness. Super charged. Wet system. Insane torque/HP. with the full monti tune it would make 160 H.P. plus at the real wheel at sea level.
    I ran a best of 10.60's on motor and dipped into the 30's with the spray engaged. Would have gone faster but it blew the tire loose in 2nd and 3rd.
    On two wheels??? No thanks!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I wondered what the extra belt was for, I had an idea it might be a supercharger. I have a decent amount of experience with roots blowers and I couldn't imagine that type of torque on a bike like that. Awesome.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wondered what the extra belt was for, I had an idea it might be a supercharger. I have a decent amount of experience with roots blowers and I couldn't imagine that type of torque on a bike like that. Awesome.

I did a lot of machine work to the internals closing up the clearances and putting the Teflon strips in the rotors to get a more positive seal.
    Out of the box with the high boost pullys it would make 7 lbs of boost.
    When it was modified it would push 17 lbs of boost. This made for a lot of other mods in the intake and engine components to get a package that could survive.
    I smoked 3 top ends and 1 entire engine in this quest. The frame and swing arm had to be strengthened to stop it from twisting. If you look you can see the bracing on the swing arm.
    The final version lived through everything I threw at it and I threw at "Lot" at it all the time. Damn thing was insane to ride. Throttle wheelys when ever I wanted.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Mouse that's badass. But too much for me, I'd take the "puss" tuning. :):

I've yet to get my motorcycle endorsement, it's on my list of things to do this year. No plans of getting a scoot anytime soon, but would like to know that I could at anytime.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Untitled-1d.jpg Untitled-3a.jpg Untitled-3b.jpg Untitled-3d.jpg Untitled-1a.jpg Untitled-1b.jpg Untitled-1c.jpg

This was my Dad's truck, he bought it new in 1973. It is a Ford 350 Super Camper Special. It has an extra long wheel base to accommodate carrying heavier truck campers. It was the only one ton that didn't have duel wheels on the back. It was to be my truck, but I guess I didn't act quick enough when Dad asked me if I wanted it and instead gave it to my son. I'm ok with that though, it's still in the family and I can get a ride or drive it, all I need to do is ask.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Now you can go drop $15,000 on a sport bike and run 9's with a decent rider. Not knocking your build CM. It is awesome. I'd love to have it over a croch rocket any day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now you can go drop $15,000 on a sport bike and run 9's with a decent rider. Not knocking your build CM. It is awesome. I'd love to have it over a croch rocket any day.

Those insane crotch rockets were available when I built this bike.
    I spent some time in the hospital over Kawasaki's.
    The thing with the springer was the challenge.
    That bike went through a few stages. The stage before the Road Warrior was a very nice highly chromed out bike that was stupid fast but manageable.
    I was considering the supercharger and everyone B00-H00'd the project saying it would not work at the levels I was considering.
    No one believed that heavy bike could eclipse the mid 10's. If I could have kept it hooked up there was a lot more there. Torque rules.....boost is cool.
    Man I could never pass on a good dare/challenge. I had north of 60K in that bike all totaled with all the stages and destroyed parts. Yeah, real smart Huh...:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 47194 View attachment 47195 View attachment 47196 View attachment 47197 View attachment 47191 View attachment 47192 View attachment 47193

This was my Dad's truck, he bought it new in 1973. It is a Ford 350 Super Camper Special. It has an extra long wheel base to accommodate carrying heavier truck campers. It was the only one ton that didn't have duel wheels on the back. It was to be my truck, but I guess I didn't act quick enough when Dad asked me if I wanted it and instead gave it to my son. I'm ok with that though, it's still in the family and I can get a ride or drive it, all I need to do is ask.

Dedication. Good work. Rewards.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Those insane crotch rockets were available when I built this bike.
    I spent some time in the hospital over Kawasaki's.
    The thing with the springer was the challenge.
    That bike went through a few stages. The stage before the Road Warrior was a very nice highly chromed out bike that was stupid fast but manageable.
    I was considering the supercharger and everyone B00-H00'd the project saying it would not work at the levels I was considering.
    No one believed that heavy bike could eclipse the mid 10's. If I could have kept it hooked up there was a lot more there. Torque rules.....boost is cool.
    Man I could never pass on a good dare/challenge. I had north of 60K in that bike all totaled with all the stages and destroyed parts. Yeah, real smart Huh...:):

But you accomplished something they said you couldn't. And you had fun. What's a couple of bucks?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This was stage 2 of the Springer.
    Naturally aspirated 89" stroker with a lot of internal mods and a spec ground cam shaft.
    One of the fastest Harleys at the time but nitrous and turbos were looming making me step up my game.

Pic was New years Day and temps were sub zero. About 10 of us went on the Hang over Poker run.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    View attachment 47194 View attachment 47195 View attachment 47196 View attachment 47197 View attachment 47191 View attachment 47192 View attachment 47193

Cool truck. I'd always wondered about those trucks when I saw them. We've got a '78 Chevy Camper Special as a family truck. I'll post that one up later.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If anybody isn't familiar with Hot Rod's Roadkill series on YouTube, it's worth a watch. The reason I bought my '99 stepside is because of the Muscle Truck.
    Was a huge fan of that show. They are starting to lose my interest with the Dodge sponsorship. Muscle truck is one of my favorites right behind the first iteration of General Mayhem and ahead of the Rotsun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom