• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That’s gotta be borderline irresponsible though. The average Joe/Jane is not qualified to handle that much power. I guess they trust their traction control programming a whole lot.

Yeah I have been saying that ever since Dodge released the HellCat. Not to be a smart ass but, I know first hand what that kind of HP is like. I have a coworker that has trashed 3 of them and still doesn't get it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So with my jacked up sleep schedule and not a damned thing better to do motor trend has a series called Donkmaster.
    1st those cats are nuts. I know a few of that crowd local.
    2nd holy **** those box cars will run.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So with my jacked up sleep schedule and not a damned thing better to do motor trend has a series called Donkmaster.
    1st those cats are nuts. I know a few of that crowd local.
    2nd holy **** those box cars will run.
    Yeah they are a different bunch in what they think looks good but it can be very surprising how well they can run

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    On the electric car topic, one of the podcasts I listen to (Everyday Driver), the hosts are huge fans of the little Chevy Bolt.

According to them, stoplight to stoplight in the burbs and the like, it almost can't be beat. The thing does 0-40 faster than a C8. And nobody expects this little hatch to be that quick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah. I've seen a few that are just stupid fast. To me, ugly as can be but they're fast and I respect the work they put in too
    If you look past the Tonka Toy wheels the cars are actually well turned out.
    not sure who is building the drive trains but man they do make some steam.
    the old nose up Gasser stance is a throw back and looks effective

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    That’s gotta be borderline irresponsible though. The average Joe/Jane is not qualified to handle that much power. I guess they trust their traction control programming a whole lot.
    Entirely too much!

Is it wrong that I enjoy watching some well to do schmo wrecking their supercar because they don't understand the first thing about driving something like that?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Looks like we're going to get the Galaxie out in the wild today for the first time in a year and a half. If you see a dense haze out on the roadway don't worry it's just us. Seems like that 58 year old engine has taken to smoking heavily lately.:):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    On the electric car topic, one of the podcasts I listen to (Everyday Driver), the hosts are huge fans of the little Chevy Bolt.

According to them, stoplight to stoplight in the burbs and the like, it almost can't be beat. The thing does 0-40 faster than a C8. And nobody expects this little hatch to be that quick.

The performance aspect, and the almost bullet-proof durability of most of them, are about to make me a convert for daily drivers.

The fastest production car ever produced is American, drives itself (I know, I know), and is only $120k. I really don't see the downside except the charging infrastructure and my mind is being quickly changed there too. The Meijer on 3 in Fort Wayne has a Tesla charging station, which is something I thought I'd die before I lived to see.

And... Many of them are now offering features such as being a power bank for your house when they're plugged in. I can easily see about a 10 year period where employers are busy tripping over each other being "green" and offering free charging for EVs, then driving my car home and powering the house with it all night, and not paying more than a few bucks a month for all of my "energy" needs. After about 10 years, our power grid is going to be so screwed up from everyone finally getting the memo that we'll probably be going back to steam cars. :laugh:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The performance aspect, and the almost bullet-proof durability of most of them, are about to make me a convert for daily drivers.

The fastest production car ever produced is American, drives itself (I know, I know), and is only $120k. I really don't see the downside except the charging infrastructure and my mind is being quickly changed there too. The Meijer on 3 in Fort Wayne has a Tesla charging station, which is something I thought I'd die before I lived to see.

And... Many of them are now offering features such as being a power bank for your house when they're plugged in. I can easily see about a 10 year period where employers are busy tripping over each other being "green" and offering free charging for EVs, then driving my car home and powering the house with it all night, and not paying more than a few bucks a month for all of my "energy" needs. After about 10 years, our power grid is going to be so screwed up from everyone finally getting the memo that we'll probably be going back to steam cars. :laugh:

Speaking as someone who works for a national utility company, the current infrastructure can NOT handle the amperage needed to power a nation of electric cars. The whole system would need a major overhaul.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Speaking as someone who works for a national utility company, the current infrastructure can NOT handle the amperage needed to power a nation of electric cars. The whole system would need a major overhaul.
    From a coal fired powerplant worker, I second this.

On top of that using that battery pack as a powerpack will shorten it's lifespan considerably, and the replacement cost is probably outrageous. Wouldn't be surprised if it's 20k

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Without question. I seriously doubt we're even within 50% of the generation capacity we'd need as well and no one wants to be serious about building new power plants that actually would generate enough power for the job.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    On top of that using that battery pack as a powerpack will shorten it's lifespan considerably, and the replacement cost is probably outrageous. Wouldn't be surprised if it's 20k

For a Tesla, sure, but not for something like a Bolt. And... Even 20 grand is pretty cheap when you're not buying any of your energy for a decade. Just my current gas and electric bill would be over $30k, ignoring my gasoline expenses over the same period.

For sure, this is a recipe for doom for many reasons. But... If we're doing it, I'll be damned if I'm going to let a bunch of Californians get all of the benefits from it while I sit it out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For a Tesla, sure, but not for something like a Bolt. And... Even 20 grand is pretty cheap when you're not buying any of your energy for a decade. Just my current gas and electric bill would be over $30k, ignoring my gasoline expenses over the same period.

For sure, this is a recipe for doom for many reasons. But... If we're doing it, I'll be damned if I'm going to let a bunch of Californians get all of the benefits from it while I sit it out.
    No chance of getting a decade out of the batteries with that cycle. In fact I believe there were some people in Texas doing this and trashed there batteries and Tesla wouldn't warranty them. Not for certain, but I remember seeing something along those lines. I have no idea about the cost of the batteries for a bolt, or size.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No chance of getting a decade out of the batteries with that cycle. In fact I believe there were some people in Texas doing this and trashed there batteries and Tesla wouldn't warranty them. Not for certain, but I remember seeing something along those lines. I have no idea about the cost of the batteries for a bolt, or size.

That would probably depend a lot on the demand placed on the battery. Even if I strategically planned it to just reduce my energy purchasing by half, I would have probably around 2 grand a year in savings to put into repairs or my own infrastructure projects. An entire Bolt is $36.5K MSRP.

I do realize this entire plan is completely ridiculous and exists only from employers and the government having idiotic woke "green" energy plans. My plan would be to punish them for it as much as possible while also having what should be a pretty awesome daily driver.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I will hold out and burn dinosaurs as long as I can. I absolutely HATE electric/hybrids. As an auto technician, I NEVER wanted to be an electrician let alone deal with the same level of electricity as a lineman.
    Our fleet of hybrid Toyota Camry's has dropped since battery packs started needing replaced. I think our cost was something like 10k per unit. For city driving there wasn't near as much cost savings as was promised. More often than not the cars were running on the gas engine/generator anyway.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Personally, I will hold out and burn dinosaurs as long as I can. I absolutely HATE electric/hybrids. As an auto technician, I NEVER wanted to be an electrician let alone deal with the same level of electricity as a lineman.
    Our fleet of hybrid Toyota Camry's has dropped since battery packs started needing replaced. I think our cost was something like 10k per unit. For city driving there wasn't near as much cost savings as was promised. More often than not the cars were running on the gas engine/generator anyway.
    I was a test engineer for the hybrid transmission for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade for about seven years. I’m just curious if you know what the battery pack for one of those behemoths goes for. We always figured it’d be almost as much as the truck, but none of us could afford to buy one anyway so it didn’t matter much.

Top Bottom