• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The MSD is complete and back in the engine. New reluctor and Magnetic pickup. That was not as easy as I originally thought it might be.

Nitrous plates are loose fit assembled to check for clearances and positions. Everything seems to fit nicely as planed. I have to pipe in the purge for the Nitrous solenoids.

View attachment 147197 View attachment 147198 View attachment 147199

Well even if she don't run, she looks good anyway lol. Yeah it should definitely make a person smile that's for sure.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is interesting.

Not so much the Camaro sales but that there are more Challengers sold than Mustangs.

What's the bigger picture? Well, percentage-wise, it's pretty grim. The Dodge Challenger is currently the segment leader, selling 15,052 units and garnering a massive 46 percent of the market. The kicker here is that the Ford Mustang is actually not far behind, selling 14,676 units with 45 percent of the market share. Some quick math will reveal just how dire of a position the Camaro is in. At 2,792 units sold in Q2, it represents just nine percent of muscle car sales.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    How old is the challenger design....at least 11 years and it's still kicking their butts. It's a much more simplistic design, keep it simple stupid. I believe the performance is there for the camaro but GM got a little carried away with the transformers look.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    To me more than the ugly angles, is you can't see out of the things. Especially the back.
    To much plastic, rattles, cramped interiors. Been going downhill for many years and they seem more interested in keeping the lower MSRP of the three than fixing the design.

Challenger nailed it. Sure it's big, but so were some muscle cars. Roomy, well equipped, usable back seat. Lots of HP.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is interesting.

Not so much the Camaro sales but that there are more Challengers sold than Mustangs.
    Read an article the other day that said the Challenger may be on the way out in 3 to 5. Didn't make any sense to me but what do I know?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    How old is the challenger design....at least 11 years and it's still kicking their butts. It's a much more simplistic design, keep it simple stupid. I believe the performance is there for the camaro but GM got a little carried away with the transformers look.
    Ford started the retro trend in '06 I believe when they rolled out the "new" mustang style and they hit it out of the park. You KNEW it was a mustang in spite of the fact that it didn't say so anywhere on the car. Challenger followed the formula a few years later and again you KNEW it was a challenger. Then GM came along with something that had been run over by one of those big ass dump trucks they use in strip mining and people are still scratching their heads over it.

Gee I wonder why camaro sales are tanking? :ugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Been working on trial fitting the padded dash for the Gal, I've got a spare dash shell so working on getting it to fit properly. Once I've got it trimmed to fit correctly and figure out all the nuances to getting it in place properly I'll pull the front windshield, do the dash pad installation and reinstall the front windshield RIGHT. After that the wife and I are going to claim multiple years of windshield experience too!

Once we reach that point it's time to drive the Gal the rest of the season and get back to work on the racecar. The plan on that is to get the bottom, interior, trunk and engine bay painted and then start re-assembling the driveline. I'd love to take it to a couple of races this year for shakedown but not sure I'll get that far. (sigh)There's always next year.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ford started the retro trend in '06 I believe when they rolled out the "new" mustang style and they hit it out of the park. You KNEW it was a mustang in spite of the fact that it didn't say so anywhere on the car. Challenger followed the formula a few years later and again you KNEW it was a challenger. Then GM came along with something that had been run over by one of those big ass dump trucks they use in strip mining and people are still scratching their heads over it.

Gee I wonder why camaro sales are tanking? :ugh:

It was ‘05, but close enough. Bringing back the 5.0 in ‘11 and then unveiling the S550 chassis in ‘15 was a game changer for the Mustang. Before that it was still a solid axle “muscle” car that sounded good but wasn’t really much of a performer. The old chassis could easily be overpowered, hence the Mustang crowd-killer stereotype. But in ‘15 it turned into a legit sports car.

Kind’ve in the same way Chevy had done all it could do with the Corvette in front-engine, rear-trans configuration with the C7. Yeah they could’ve just kept adding more power but it wouldn’t have made the car really any better. The C8 will be a legitimate supercar when the higher power Z06/ZR1 models come out. It’s just a better all around chassis.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It was ‘05, but close enough. Bringing back the 5.0 in ‘11 and then unveiling the S550 chassis in ‘15 was a game changer for the Mustang. Before that it was still a solid axle “muscle” car that sounded good but wasn’t really much of a performer. The old chassis could easily be overpowered, hence the Mustang crowd-killer stereotype. But in ‘15 it turned into a legit sports car.

Kind’ve in the same way Chevy had done all it could do with the Corvette in front-engine, rear-trans configuration with the C7. Yeah they could’ve just kept adding more power but it wouldn’t have made the car really any better. The C8 will be a legitimate supercar when the higher power Z06/ZR1 models come out. It’s just a better all around chassis.
    LOVE the S550. My first impression was a shock honestly but I knew I needed to give it a little time to grow on me and boy did it! If I were to buy another it'd be a '15 or later ragtop. Of course at that point I'd have to get rid of the Fox ragtop in spite of being on the verge of having it exactly like I want it.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    LOVE the S550. My first impression was a shock honestly but I knew I needed to give it a little time to grow on me and boy did it! If I were to buy another it'd be a '15 or later ragtop. Of course at that point I'd have to get rid of the Fox ragtop in spite of being on the verge of having it exactly like I want it.

100% I will own an S550 someday. They’re so good.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I can not for the life of me figure out why.....in the wave of Retro.......the stooges at GM could come up with that car.
    And it has Morphed into Corvette lite.
    Except for the Corvette, GM hasn't been doing well in the car game for awhile. None of their cars have been getting better, and as a long time GM fan it sucks. Even the trucks and SUV's are going cheaper.

I still wouldn't turn down a ZL1 though.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can not for the life of me figure out why.....in the wave of Retro.......the stooges at GM could come up with that car.
    And it has Morphed into Corvette lite.
    GM should have, could have done something much closer to the '69 then what they did. Or maybe even a Gen II would have worked.

I am a GM person through and through, but I'd buy a Challenger before a Camaro. Then a Mustang before a Camaro. They just don't do it for me. I drove a SS auto one day and though it was kinda quick, it felt like the heavy, lumbering car it is. More Clydesdale and less pony.:)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Read an article the other day that said the Challenger may be on the way out in 3 to 5. Didn't make any sense to me but what do I know?
    There is talk (from a podcast I listen to) that the parent company of FCA will have the new hotrods be all electric. They've HellCatted everything and now to up that, electric would be the next logical step.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There is talk (from a podcast I listen to) that the parent company of FCA will have the new hotrods be all electric. They've HellCatted everything and now to up that, electric would be the next logical step.

As much as that sucks for internal combustion enthusiasts, it does make sense. Gas engines physically can’t compete with the INSTANT torque of electrical batteries/motors on the street.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still love these. A lot.

When I was 17 I had a Buick Apollo, the sister(brother?) car to this. It had a 350 Buick motor and TH350.

No hot rod at all, but it was my first paint job and turned out so good, I starting painting my friends cars. Nice white with Crager SS wheels, slightly wider in the rear, nice tires and a nice rake to it.

I was going to put the Pontiac shaker scoop in it, but didn't have the guts to cut into a perfectly good hood at the time.

If I had it now, I think it would be fun car to drop a 383 in.

Top Bottom