• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Good call taking the trans apart. It needs some attention.

On the brakes make sure the square cut seal is good and clean and can't roll up on its edge. It will pinch the piston and it'll stick. Also make sure all the ports inside are open and not corroding closed. I don't use grease on the seal or piston, I only use fresh brake fluid. Some people lightly grease it with a thin silicone base. The seal and dust boot do the majority of the work and is where binding on the piston can occur.
    The internal seal looked OK. The boots on the outside were in better shape than I expected, considering those insanely high temps they just saw. There was a little bit of a hole on one boot, but I had no rebuild kit and no ability to get a rebuild kit (truck and car both down and wife gone) so I said effit and threw it back together. The hole was not enormous, thankfully.

Also, I did use brake fluid to "lube" the pistons when I put them back in. I'm sure that caliper will need to be replaced on the next go-round. The second piston that I popped out, actually flew out, smoked the side of the Stang, and rolled under the car. I'm not sure if the chunk of piston was missing before or after that incident. But there is a small chunk of piston missing at the very end, just before the metal plating that's on the outside of the piston. It shouldn't cause any binding issues because it's so far up on the piston, but it might cause binding when I replace the brakes in a year or so and have to depress the piston all the way in.

Also, I called up a local parts store to see what I was going to be looking at for both calipers, rotors, and cheap pads.
    The best price they could give me was $650, $100 core included.
    Rock Auto was going to be $430, and that was with all four brake hoses included in that order along with an $80-$100 core charge. Literally almost half the cost.
    Figured I would at least see what happens before ordering parts, but there's no way I'm going to a local parts store. They're out of their friggin minds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, are there reputable machine shops in Indy that can be trusted to do good machine work on a Chevy? I'm not sure if there are any at all down here and if there was, I doubt I'd trust them.

I'm weighing whether to go with a crate engine or rebuild whatever comes with my future truck.

I'll be looking at a mild engine, something like a 383 pushing around 400HP.
    Yes. If I take it to them for sure. I am willing to assist in this.

350 block bored .030.
    400 crank and relieve the oil pan rails to clear the rod bolts.
    Proper set of pistons.
    Heads......Oh Soooooooo many choices.
    Camshaft.....I have a few I lean towards.
    Headers. Absolutely at that power level.
    Think fuel injection. Holley makes several packages. Avg $1400 all in pump, regulator, line set, harnes4s, throttle body and the rewards for using this are many.
    Ignition is another area of choice.

Crates are OK but building your own is priceless.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes. If I take it to them for sure. I am willing to assist in this.

350 block bored .030.
    400 crank and relieve the oil pan rails to clear the rod bolts.
    Proper set of pistons.
    Heads......Oh Soooooooo many choices.
    Camshaft.....I have a few I lean towards.
    Headers. Absolutely at that power level.
    Think fuel injection. Holley makes several packages. Avg $1400 all in pump, regulator, line set, harnes4s, throttle body and the rewards for using this are many.
    Ignition is another area of choice.

Crates are OK but building your own is priceless.
    Great! I'm way ahead of myself right now since I haven't found the truck yet but I like to gather info, lol.

I have taken a quick look at that Sniper system, but didn't dive deep at all. Just a glance.

Oh, to be back working for TRW/Federal-Mogul now. I had so many sources...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    084947de7b7c7e49cc21d66d47ca0c70.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I canceled my JEG’s order for Drag radials because that had no idea of a delivery date.
    Ordered tires on simpletire.com 2 days later at my door and about $20 cheaper.

Last year wife wanted a sunshade for her Jeep for a event on Saturday. She ordered it from Summit on Friday morning they shipped overnight for free.

Jeg’s is dead to me!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So I canceled my JEG’s order for Drag radials because that had no idea of a delivery date.

Last year wife wanted a sunshade for her Jeep for a event on Saturday. She ordered it from Summit on Friday morning they shipped overnight for free.

Jeg’s is dead to me!

:thumbsup:

I’ve been on the Summit bandwagon for years now and they’ve very rarely let me down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Jeg’s is dead to me!
    Yup Jegs is no longer on my list. They have lost it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I rarely order from Jegs, I usually head to Speedway if Summit can't help me which isn't often. I ordered some stuff from Summit last Saturday evening and I don't know how they did it but it was waiting for me at home Monday afternoon.

Top Bottom