The NEW Should Gun Owners Have to Pass a Background Check to Purchase a Gun Poll!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should one have to undergo a background check to purchase a firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Should people have to undergo background checks to buy firearms?

I was dissatisfied with the last poll. Too many hit and run "yes men" who won't defend their views.

They have no honor.

Here is their chance at redemption and to get real discussion going.

Let's just please keep it civil.

Thanks,

Josh

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I struggle with this sometimes, but I'm a big fan of limited gov't.

So, I voted no. The only way this really works well in all scenarios is if EVERYONE buys them and doesn't sit back and depend on the local PD to protect them.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yes, if you give life sentences for using a gun in a crime. The "problem" used to defend this BS would be solved very quickly, keeping guns out of Felons hands, not regulating citizens.

Then we could focus on applying for a 50 states handgun permit including carry on airplanes.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    From my handy-dandy pocket constitution, the Second Amendnent clearly states: "shall not be infringed." How is that so hard to understand? While I don't know if I would purchase one, I would like to see our country roll back gun control laws so that law-abiding citizens could purchase fully automatic weapons again. This is a infringement that grates on me just as much as McCarthy or Feinstein telling me I can't have a high-capacity "clip." Who gave them the authority to put their personal beliefs ahead of the US Constitution?

Oh, by the way, I said NO!

Last edited:

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Bottom line is, a criminal is going to get a gun no matter what. Most laws just restrict the law abiding. Permits and background checks won't stop people who are going to commit a crime.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I voted no for background checks. People who know that I'm very pro-gun often ask me "Why would you trust other people with guns?" My answer: "I don't. That's why I carry my own."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I voted yes.
    I dont mind to have to go thru a background check as I have a clean record.
    But if there is no control and that any criminal can go buy legally a gun in a store I dont think I would like it.
    I know they can get illegal guns in the street but without background checks it would be just so much easier for them to get guns.
    When you do something wrong you are ready to lose your right to buy and own guns.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    I voted yes.
    But if there is no control and that any criminal can go buy legally a gun in a store I dont think I would like it.
    I know they can get illegal guns in the street but without background checks it would be just so much easier for them to get guns.
    When you do something wrong you are ready to lose your right to buy and own guns.
    Dons

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I voted yes.

Depending on who you know, it's much easier to get full-auto weapons than it is to buy a single shot from a gun shop. Join the right gang, hell they'll give you one.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I voted yes. I know criminals may still acquire weapons, but definitely not as easily as if we were to just hand them to them. Why you would want to arm convicted felons is beyond me. That individual has already shown a clear disdain for the law and society itself. Breaking the law should have consequences.

That's my two cents for this thread. You know what they say about arguing on the internet...

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I voted for the second one. I don't believe in limiting gun rights and I know I'm contradicting that statement by saying yes. It's one of those things where I don't think everybody needs a background check, but I think some people do. At least a check for violent felonies or domestic violence. I know they can get them off the streets, but at least they will have to go to a little more trouble than just getting one from a dealer.

Cuban cigars are illegal and I know that people can get them, but I wouldn't have the first clue as to where I would. Same thing with an illegal gun for me...I wouldn't even know where to go.

Anyway, I know that my answer will be unpopular but that's just how I feel about it. AND.....I didn't want to vote without giving some sort of reasoning behind it...

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I voted yes.

A criminal couldn't legally go purchase a gun in the store. By definition, they're a criminal. If you aren't supposed to own a gun, and you go buy one, you're breaking the law.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    A criminal couldn't legally go purchase a gun in the store. By definition, they're a criminal. If you aren't supposed to own a gun, and you go buy one, you're breaking the law.

I agree. However, we would have no way of knowing that someone was a criminal when they were purchasing the gun.

I want a way to stop criminals from getting guns and have no restrictions on guns whatsoever....but I know that will never happen.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I voted no.

I don't like the idea of certain people being able to buy guns, but I believe that all citizens have the right to be armed.

I don't want the guy that did time for child molesting to be armed, but he is a citizen and I cannot justify creating a class of underclass citizenry, who for one reason or another has ran afoul of the rules. If we're going to let him walk around, then he can buy guns. One law for all people.

I also believe in life sentences for a whole slew of actual crimes like rape, murder, robbery, etc.

Top Bottom