• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The "window portion" looks pretty close to the breakdown of what has been recommended by endurance coaches in one form or another for a long time. Mostly aerobic base, with some speed and tempo work so you don't get resistant.

So are the nose breathing advocates saying do 2-3 months "nose only/aerobic only" to get a base, then move to the standard zone % breakdown and just let the chips fall how they do? Or are you supposed to try to maintain the nose breathing for as much of everything as possible?

Primarily nose breathing except for occasional sprint/speed work for some of them, others are all in all the time. I'm sure there's a ton I don't know about it and haven't looked into it much beyond this.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Today:

8.50 mi
    Distance
    1:45:28
    Time
    12:24 /mi
    Avg Pace
    318 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,614 cal
    Calories

161 bpm
    Avg HR

11.17 mi
    Distance
    2:20:47
    Time
    12:37 /mi
    Avg Pace
    390 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,925 cal
    Calories

152 bpm
    Avg HR

Nice weather today and I felt good so I pushed the distance a bit. I didn't feel fatigued at all until about mile 7, didn't feel challenged until mile 9. I think on an actual race day (and with more than one recovery day before) I could finish out the 1/2 marathon now. Once I'm comfortable with the distance I'll try and start chipping away at the time.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm hanging in there. 218.5 from my all-time high of 260. At the moment my left knee won't let me do the elliptical. I've got a torn meniscus that only bothers me sometimes, and this week is one of those times.

The things that have helped me the most with my weight are portion control and watching my snack intake. I have always filled my bowl/plate as full as possible. I'm cutting my calorie intake a lot by just not eating as much, and I'm rarely hungry. I splurged for one of those vegetable trays with dip at the grocery store. Now I have something to snack on. I will make my own next time, but that initial $12.99 got me started.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ball sticking hot today. My easy run was 2.33 miles and I'm pretty sure I have diaper rash now. :D

My wife, being smarter than me, used the treadmill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    11.17 mi
    Distance
    2:20:47
    Time
    12:37 /mi
    Avg Pace
    390 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,925 cal
    Calories

152 bpm
    Avg HR

11.32 mi
    Distance
    2:14:19
    Time
    11:52 /mi
    Avg Pace
    390 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,984 cal
    Calories

157 bpm
    Avg HR

Improved pace a bit, added a touch of distance. Knees started getting a little tender and figured that was enough. Walked the 1.5 miles remaining to get back to the car. Need to drop about 20 lbs before pushing distance much more, but feel like I'm on pace for my event.

Last week I didn't do a "long run", only 6 miles and under but concentrated on hill work and stair climbs. Probably why my knees are a little creaky.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's been awhile since I've checked in here, and I hate to come back belly-aching, but I'd love to hear some opinions about this.

They play music over a speaker system at the gym I go to. It's mostly crap, but it's better than nothing. There is also a volume knob so the sound level can be adjusted.

Every time I go workout, there's an old man that's already been there for a while. He turns the volume all the way down and listens to a pod cast on his phone at full volume. I'm I being old and cranky thinking it's rude making people listen to your choice of background noise? Dude needs to get him some ear buds.

The one thing that really ticked me off was he went into the crapper one day leaving me in total silence. After about ten minutes, I go and turn the volume back up. He finally comes out, turns the volume back down, and finishes by stretching. I kind of felt that was pretty rude too. He controls the noise, even while taking a 20 minute ****.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's been awhile since I've checked in here, and I hate to come back belly-aching, but I'd love to hear some opinions about this.

They play music over a speaker system at the gym I go to. It's mostly crap, but it's better than nothing. There is also a volume knob so the sound level can be adjusted.

Every time I go workout, there's an old man that's already been there for a while. He turns the volume all the way down and listens to a pod cast on his phone at full volume. I'm I being old and cranky thinking it's rude making people listen to your choice of background noise? Dude needs to get him some ear buds.

The one thing that really ticked me off was he went into the crapper one day leaving me in total silence. After about ten minutes, I go and turn the volume back up. He finally comes out, turns the volume back down, and finishes by stretching. I kind of felt that was pretty rude too. He controls the noise, even while taking a 20 minute ****.

Get some ear buds, load your phone with whatever you want to listen to, kill two birds with one stone.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    11.32 mi
    Distance
    2:14:19
    Time
    11:52 /mi
    Avg Pace
    390 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,984 cal
    Calories

157 bpm
    Avg HR

Improved pace a bit, added a touch of distance. Knees started getting a little tender and figured that was enough. Walked the 1.5 miles remaining to get back to the car. Need to drop about 20 lbs before pushing distance much more, but feel like I'm on pace for my event.

Last week I didn't do a "long run", only 6 miles and under but concentrated on hill work and stair climbs. Probably why my knees are a little creaky.
    Forgot to update, but last Thursday:
    8.80 mi
    Distance
    1:46:50
    Time
    12:09 /mi
    Avg Pace
    236 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,572 cal
    Calories
    156 bpm
    Avg HR

Didn't feel great and it was raining off/on, cut the run a little short.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Haven't been here in a minute. I think I started in 2017 on my "journey." Weighed about 300 pounds at the time. Went low carb, exercised, then to working out. Had many failures along the way. I did get down to 186, felt awful. I just try and hover around 195-205. My son decided to join in a little over a year ago. He lost about 45 pounds. And is a freaking tank! So proud of him, I could have never had his discipline at 15. It's been a complete life change for myself and him. And he's not hating all the attention he gets with the girls.

Oh, and ear buds. I will not workout without them. Not just the music, but people sometimes annoy me. Ha! 20230820_120538.jpg

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Get some ear buds, load your phone with whatever you want to listen to, kill two birds with one stone.

I'm not a fan of the ear buds. I wondered today if I was getting worked up over nothing, but this dude still ticks me off. Totally not cool him trying to run the ship, even while he's sitting on the can for twenty minutes.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Haven't been here in a minute. I think I started in 2017 on my "journey." Weighed about 300 pounds at the time. Went low carb, exercised, then to working out. Had many failures along the way. I did get down to 186, felt awful. I just try and hover around 195-205. My son decided to join in a little over a year ago. He lost about 45 pounds. And is a freaking tank! So proud of him, I could have never had his discipline at 15. It's been a complete life change for myself and him. And he's not hating all the attention he gets with the girls.

Oh, and ear buds. I will not workout without them. Not just the music, but people sometimes annoy me. Ha! View attachment 298683

I've tried cutting carbs hard in the past, but every time I did it, I was taking a #1 constantly. The last time I tried, I bet I got up four times during the night. Why is it so damn hard?

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I've tried cutting carbs hard in the past, but every time I did it, I was taking a #1 constantly. The last time I tried, I bet I got up four times during the night. Why is it so damn hard?
    It's definitely rough cutting carbs in the beginning. I tried not to go crazy with it. I figured out approximately how many I would eat in a day. Started cutting from there. I know some people that would begin only eating 50 carbs a day. That's probably gonna make you sick. Now I just view everything if it's "carb worthy." It's gotta be homemade or really freaking good if I'm going to eat it. And I'm gonna pay for it, I've trained my body not to have a lot, but when I do. My stomach gets slightly angry with me. Pic because it's funny and true!

Attachments

• zrkk0sZ.jpg
      zrkk0sZ.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 5

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm hanging in there. 218.5 from my all-time high of 260. At the moment my left knee won't let me do the elliptical. I've got a torn meniscus that only bothers me sometimes, and this week is one of those times.

The things that have helped me the most with my weight are portion control and watching my snack intake. I have always filled my bowl/plate as full as possible. I'm cutting my calorie intake a lot by just not eating as much, and I'm rarely hungry. I splurged for one of those vegetable trays with dip at the grocery store. Now I have something to snack on. I will make my own next time, but that initial $12.99 got me started.
    Are you testing your sugar regularly and staying in good control?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Are you testing your sugar regularly and staying in good control?
    I am guilty of not testing enough, but when I do, fasting glucose is usually around 90-100. Non-fasting ranges from 140-200 depending on what I eat. In the past three years, I brought my A1C down from 8.7 to around 5.7. I'm doing OK, I think.

I am enjoying my lunches of fresh broccoli and carrots with dip, 1-2 boiled eggs, and a few slices of ham. Breakfast and dinner are not as healthy or low-carb, but I still try to watch my calorie intake.

That being said, I'm struggling to keep my weight under 220 at the moment. Exercise would make the difference if the knee would cooperate.

Zexrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2023
    FORT WAYNE.
    keto is probably best for helping with blood sugar. You can possibly even have one bad day and still end up pretty decent. Its not too hard of a diet to follow. Tons of keto products out there now days.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am guilty of not testing enough, but when I do, fasting glucose is usually around 90-100. Non-fasting ranges from 140-200 depending on what I eat. In the past three years, I brought my A1C down from 8.7 to around 5.7. I'm doing OK, I think.

I am enjoying my lunches of fresh broccoli and carrots with dip, 1-2 boiled eggs, and a few slices of ham. Breakfast and dinner are not as healthy or low-carb, but I still try to watch my calorie intake.

That being said, I'm struggling to keep my weight under 220 at the moment. Exercise would make the difference if the knee would cooperate.
    Obviously I don't know ALL of your history but even the first post was like I'd posted that myself. Enough I read the rest of your posts in this thread just because it followed my own path so closely. I've had the ups and downs over the past 20 years as well so I'm not trying to be preachy at all. Everyone has their own ways of motivating their self and some work better than others for sure.

Testing my sugar is really what keeps me straight. There is absolutely no guessing in that. No fooling MY SELF. I KNOW what it means when I stop testing and stop writing it in the book and suddenly look at the book and the last record was a "week ago". It is because I'm fed up with all that but believe me EVERY TIME you have to climb back on that wagon it gets a little harder to do and takes a little longer to get to a point you feel better about it all.

From 260 to 200.... yep.
    High Blood sugar trip to the hospital... yep. BTDT
    Got it down to where I even felt normal a while. So cocky about I didn't even need any meds for a couple months but like any other kind of addict, alcohol, drugs, nicotine... it seems all it takes is one cup cake and I'm on a month long bender of ice cream, cake, .... and back to wondering if it will kill me this go around.

Right now I've been in the good, don't slip up phase for a couple months is why I can even talk about it.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love my sweets, and what makes it harder is that I take care of my 90-yr-old mom who is underweight and in constant need of calories. So hard to give her pie, cake, etc and not have any, especially since she doesn't want to eat alone. I could be a big girl and just not eat it, but....

I will have to get back on the wagon of testing. One reason I don't do it enough is that I hate the new meter that my insurance paid for. I might see if they have another one on the list now. If not, then just do it, no excuses.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a Reli-On Prime from Walmart, those and the strips for it are the cheapest way to test unless you have insurance to cover it. Mine doesn't far as I can find out. But the strips are only about 20 cents a test and I don't use any of the gadgetry in the meter. I don't think the date is even set. I just write it down.

I pretty much use the "Keto plan" like mentioned in a post above since it is pretty much the same as the gunho diabetic plan, but I've really felt a bicycle is my secret weapon. I also like to use one of those heart rate monitors and stick to about 30 minutes to an hour work out times. 30 minutes at my max recomended HR is the same, indoors or out doors. Don't matter what route I use or where I go. 30 minutes is 30 minutes. A hour on the bicycle will usually drop my blood sugar 30 points or more if it is that much or more over normal. Other wise it just drops to 90 or 100.

I like the bicycle because like you I had a torn meniscus from some wilder years and got that worked on when it locked up on me about 20 years ago. Wouldn't move and hurt so bad I couldn't even stand up on it. A bicycle is a lot less wear and tear on your feet, knees and back. It is something you can still do when ya get old.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Obviously I don't know ALL of your history but even the first post was like I'd posted that myself. Enough I read the rest of your posts in this thread just because it followed my own path so closely. I've had the ups and downs over the past 20 years as well so I'm not trying to be preachy at all. Everyone has their own ways of motivating their self and some work better than others for sure.

Testing my sugar is really what keeps me straight. There is absolutely no guessing in that. No fooling MY SELF. I KNOW what it means when I stop testing and stop writing it in the book and suddenly look at the book and the last record was a "week ago". It is because I'm fed up with all that but believe me EVERY TIME you have to climb back on that wagon it gets a little harder to do and takes a little longer to get to a point you feel better about it all.

From 260 to 200.... yep.
    High Blood sugar trip to the hospital... yep. BTDT
    Got it down to where I even felt normal a while. So cocky about I didn't even need any meds for a couple months but like any other kind of addict, alcohol, drugs, nicotine... it seems all it takes is one cup cake and I'm on a month long bender of ice cream, cake, .... and back to wondering if it will kill me this go around.

Right now I've been in the good, don't slip up phase for a couple months is why I can even talk about it.
    Hope you stay in the good phase. I'm going to work very hard at that myself. I need to make it under 200. My goal is by New Year's, and then take it from there.

Top Bottom