The Great FFL Transfer Fiasco of 2014. (Details still unfolding)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Let me be clear, this thread was meant to express my frustration with FedEx more than with ZR Tactical. Yes, I spoke to them on the phone before purchasing the gun, but I was not told to forward any tracking information to them, I was explicitly told that I did not need to make any arrangements with them to receive the gun. My concerns in this thread stemmed from the fact that I was not told during my initial phone call what days they were available to receive shipments, or whether or not they would ever be at the shop before 6:00PM, so when FedEx tells me that they cannot deliver packages at 6:00, I feel I have cause for concern.

That said they made good on the transfer and were very pleasant to deal with.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Let me be clear, this thread was meant to express my frustration with FedEx more than with ZR Tactical.
    FedEx is teh sux.

My complaint with them is their ground service runs on Sat. not Mon. - not good for businesses.

That said they made good on the transfer and were very pleasant to deal with.
    I'm glad to see a happy ending.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    I have transferred literally dozens of guns through ZRTS (including one tonight) with NO problems ! This all started because you didn't actually notify ZR until after you initiated the shipment for transfer and he didn't know you from Adam. In situations like this if I let him know to expect a gun (or better yet give him the tracking #) he always picks it up at the hub and has it at his shop during his advertised business hours. My understanding is that it was your idea to try and get the gun from the hub yourself. If you had waited a couple of hours you wouldn't have had to start 5 pages of unwarranted discussion. My info is that you won't be able to transfer another gun there at any price. Too bad since you obviously found out it's the best deal in the area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have transferred literally dozens of guns through ZRTS (including one tonight) with NO problems ! This all started because you didn't actually notify ZR until after you initiated the shipment for transfer and he didn't know you from Adam. In situations like this if I let him know to expect a gun (or better yet give him the tracking #) he always picks it up at the hub and has it at his shop during his advertised business hours. My understanding is that it was your idea to try and get the gun from the hub yourself. If you had waited a couple of hours you wouldn't have had to start 5 pages of unwarranted discussion. My info is that you won't be able to transfer another gun there at any price. Too bad since you obviously found out it's the best deal in the area.

HHHhhmmmmmmm

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel

Your understanding is incorrect. Sorry, but if you read the thread you are commenting on you would know that this all started because I did talk to them before purchasing the gun, and I was told that there was no need to notify them or make any special arrangements, just have the gun shipped to them and they'll take care of the rest.

*When the shipment was initially declined I was unable to speak to them due to their limited business hours, so naturally I called FedEx to make sure the package was redelivered during their business hours.

*FedEx told me this was impossible.

*I was still unable to speak to the FFL due to their limited hours so I made a thread asking for advice on how to get my shipment to the FFL.

*I finally get into contact with the FFL, they tell me they will have someone there to accept the package the next day.

*All is well with the world.

I hardly see how this chain of events reflects badly on the FFL other than their poor communication about what they need from me to accept a package. Now that I know that they need the tracking number (unlike any other FFL I've ever used) future transfers should go smoothly. Assuming I haven't been blacklisted from doing transfers there, I will likely use them again, because other than the little panic I had with FedEx, the experience was absolutely pleasant.

Last edited:

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I really don't see anywhere where I "called out" the FFL. Up until this last page the entire conversation had to do with FedEx, not the dealer. The only thing I "called out" the dealer on was the fact that I was initially told that I didn't need to make any special arrangements, then was told by the FFL that I could have avoided all this by making special arrangements with him in advance. The inconsistent communication displayed there seems like a legitimate complaint to me.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Then why post here at all?
    Because this is a firearm forum, and this was a firearm shipment complete with all of the legal issues that come with them. What better place is there to ask for advice than a forum with thousands of members, most of which have probably done one or more online firearms purchases, and have likely run into every problem imaginable on that topic?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Because this is a firearm forum, and this was a firearm shipment complete with all of the legal issues that come with them. What better place is there to ask for advice than a forum with thousands of members, most of which have probably done one or more online firearms purchases, and have likely run into every problem imaginable on that topic?

My advice is to find a place with normal business hours and use them.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Who's responsibility is it to let the gun shop know that a gun is going to be delivered after an internet purchase, you or the seller? I've wondered on several occasions about buying direct from a distributor, and picking it up a a local dealer. Problems like this, is why I haven't done it yet, but I assume, it works well in most cases.

BlackDog714

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenwood
    Who's responsibility is it to let the gun shop know that a gun is going to be delivered after an internet purchase, you or the seller? I've wondered on several occasions about buying direct from a distributor, and picking it up a a local dealer. Problems like this, is why I haven't done it yet, but I assume, it works well in most cases.

I've ALWAYS assumed that I needed to contact the receiving FFL with the tracking number...

Also, Big Guy, stop stealing other peoples avatars ;)

OP please change the title as it does sound like you are blaming the FFL :twocents:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I tried to change it, but it doesn't seem to have stuck.

Just ask a moderator to change the title.

I think the issue that a lot of people are having is the fact that you mentioned the FFL's name in your OP. It slights the FFL in a of handed way. In future post like this I'd probably with hold the FFL's name until you know the crap has hit the fan. I'd drop off a box of donuts or something to them to say no harm, no foul. Just in case they caught on to this thread. I can see why they could miss a package if they did not know it was coming. It sounds like a mom and pop operation. Small business usually don't run conventionally. Life can get in the way. I know I have had a ran a few my self. I think you have now figured this out too. I can tell buy the tone of you last few post that you are OK with them. Some just don't read in to the story the same as others.

FWIW I have the P228 in a 9mm. It's a sweet gun. Sig makes nice stuff!

Top Bottom