The good, the bad and the ugly - auto dealerships.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I keep getting promo's from local dealerships, in my case Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, etc, etc.
    But it's a waste of there time and money.
    I've been there and done that before and I have never had a good experience with any of them.
    For instance, I took my pickup in for service, oil change and lube job, just the standard stuff because they sent me a promo.
    I was going on vacation to Alaska for two weeks so I dropped it off and told them I would be back in two weeks so there was no rush to get it done.
    So, when I got back it wasn't done, at all.
    They said there was a power steering fluid leak and they needed my OK.
    So why didn't they go ahead and service the rest of it?
    I never did and never have needed to add fluid to the power steering in all the time I have owned it.
    So I got my truck and never went back.
    I've got at least half a dozen other grips about dealership service but it would take to long to describe.
    If they would stop price gouging and wanting to fix things that weren't broken then maybe after a while they would have more business. I know of no one who trust them and I have been in the business for around 40 years.
    Tell us about your experience.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Took my wife's Town and Country in for service, and to get a warranty issue taken care of (was burning 3 quarts plus in between oil changes). 1500 in work done (under warranty). Next day we go to Fort Wayne Zoo, I get there, and shes pouring coolant. I call the dealership, they told me it was not their problem. Well, yes, actually it is their problem. They argue they wont come get it (dealership in Kokomo). By the time it was said and done, I had made 6 phone calls, and the last one, Im assuming was a high up in the dealership, and Im guessing I was interrupting his golf game, but they sent a tow truck, and got me a rental, all covered. After they fixed it, they admitted the mechanic had damaged the affected part.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Of all the dealerships I have dealt with in the last 20 years, only my local Lexus dealer has avoided pi$$ing me off. I bought our Lexus used from a private seller, and do most of my own maintenance and repair so they have seen very little of my money. But anytime I have wanted them to do something, their price was equal to or less than the Toyota dealer. And they give the wife a brand new one to drive until hers is done and always return hers cleaner than she dropped it off.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When I drove new cars the only reason it went back to the dealer is warrenty work or recall work .
    Simply to many good private shops to choose from.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I drove new cars the only reason it went back to the dealer is warrenty work or recall work .
    Simply to many good private shops to choose from.

I agree. I could tell you more experiences I've had in dealing for a car than I could about service. I rarely take one of mine to a dealer for service. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did that wasn't associated with warranty service.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I've only bought/sold privately and I've had great experiences so far. Its because of these stories that I will continue to avoid dealerships and used car lots as much as possible.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I keep getting calls from the local GMC dealership, wanting to buy my Sierra. All kinds of ridiculous offers. Like I'm going to trade in a low-mileage 3/4 ton diesel for a new sedan with payments.

Best/worst service experience:
    Dropped my wife's 4-door S-10 Blazer off for a radiator flush/fill. Several hours later, get a call that it is done. Total bill.....$3500. WTF? Turns out, they decided to REPLACE the radiator and heater core. Never called me or my wife for authorization. After MUCH arguing, I got it back at no charge. BUT... had to take it back the next day because the dashboard wasn't attached to the body, and it was COVERED in greasy hand prints. I stood at the garage door the entire time they were working on it, just to be sure they didn't screw it up again. The service manager was cursing me, and I let him have it as well. He backed off after a call to GMC Corporate, from their courtesy phone. ;)

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Generally speaking I agree with everything so far about "Steelerships".

In my experience though, there are a few good dealership service departments out there but very few. I have had the good fortune to know a really good, compassionate service manager that looked out for my vehicle and shot it to me straight, no BS. Along the same lines, I made a point of meeting the diesel mechanic (I drive a diesel) that will touch anything on my truck. He drives a diesel and we started talking about his truck, my truck, mods, issues, etc. Long story short, I essentially wanted to see if he'd show the same level care with my truck as he did with his own.

I think my experience may be the exception but don't immediately dismiss the service department entirely.

Mike

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I keep getting promo's from local dealerships, in my case Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, etc, etc.
    But it's a waste of there time and money.
    I've been there and done that before and I have never had a good experience with any of them.
    For instance, I took my pickup in for service, oil change and lube job, just the standard stuff because they sent me a promo.
    I was going on vacation to Alaska for two weeks so I dropped it off and told them I would be back in two weeks so there was no rush to get it done.
    So, when I got back it wasn't done, at all.
    They said there was a power steering fluid leak and they needed my OK.
    So why didn't they go ahead and service the rest of it?
    I never did and never have needed to add fluid to the power steering in all the time I have owned it.
    So I got my truck and never went back.
    I've got at least half a dozen other grips about dealership service but it would take to long to describe.
    If they would stop price gouging and wanting to fix things that weren't broken then maybe after a while they would have more business. I know of no one who trust them and I have been in the business for around 40 years.
    Tell us about your experience.

i must have missed something. What "business" are you in ?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I got into an argument with a sales guy at the GM dealership when he proudly proclaimed the GM had paid back every dime of the bailout money. :D My wife was facepalming that whole time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite are the letters with false pretenses... Inkjet printed to look like it was handwritten, etc.

the BEST? Last week I got one from Ray skillman Kia that was made to look like a higher up emailed my sales weasel asking if he had contacted me yet to make me an offer for my 3yo car, and so he printed it off, scribbled some personalized noted on the printout and mailed it to me... It was all a ruse, and all printed en massed on a color printer. No handwriting was actually involved.

PErsonally, I am offended that they think I am that stupid to fall for such obvious trickery. And what does it say about them as a company that misleads their less savvy customers with such tactics? "Oohh, look Martha! They have personally expressed an interest in our vehicle and took the time to hand write us a letter!"

and I'll name more names. Community ford in Mooresville. Same jack wagons that when we expressed concern for the used van needing a break job in 20k but the new car from another dealer we were looking at wouldn't. The manager scribbled on the back of his card "one free brake job when needed" as a voucher to seal the deal. When we went to redeem, they tried to limit it to $200 because "that's typically what they do... And they could pull the paperwork and it is probably stipulated in the contract but they would let it slide this time" (the manager was no longer there to vouch for his word and I wasn't having any of it... Free means free!)

They also broke a part and refused to fix it. Got it back and it had a whine it didn't have when we took it in for other work. They had to send it to the Chrysler dealer to find it. A part came loose and was sitting on the alternator. Rattling around. "Sorry, not our fault. The tech wouldn't have been near that part of the engine" actually he was above and behind it... Not like he was working on the opposite end. I pressed and they gave us a discount because it took so long and we had to drive down to pick it up because they didn't have anybody to ferry it back. Still won't deal with community now. Either one.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Debated trading in my 15 year old car on a new one. Went and looked at new cars and researched some before I went in to talk. The first thing they told me was the car I wanted was sold and I would have to get a more expensive version. Once I told them I was going elsewhere it became available. Test drive went ok and upon my return we started talking $$$. Trade-in was almost non existent and when I asked about the rebate for trading in a same model vehicle he told me it was not available. Told him to check his website because my car met the requirements. Either he was a poor salesman and did not know the product or a liar who planned on pocketing the rebate, no deal!! Since his dad owned the dealership, it told me that I will never do business there.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My daughter took her car in for warranty work yesterday. While she was there, they kindly offered to replaced her burned out headlight. For $295.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Two stories.

First in a '98 Lincoln, the A/C was blowing hot air.
    Took it to a dealership and asked them to find out what was wrong.
    It was the solenoid that closes off the heat in the duct that was bad.
    They told me they could fix it the same day and it would be $320.
    I kindly refused and had to pay a $75 diagnosis fee.
    I got it fixed at my regular mechanic for $150.
    Even with the diagnosis fee, I was $95 ahead.

We bought a new Astro van in '02.
    My wife wanted a new van really really bad "for the kids safety".
    If anything went wrong there would be a warranty and we could get it fixed.
    After about 3 months, the drivers side window would go down and just stay down.
    If you open and closed the door, or waited a few minutes, it would work again.
    It was very intermittent and you never knew when the window would take a fit and not go up.
    It would always roll down, just sometimes not up. Lord help you if it was raining.
    4 trips to the NoService Department and it was still not fixed.
    The warranty expired, still not fixed.
    We still have the van. It has 175,000 miles on it.
    And the window... still not fixed.
    With a NoService Department warranty, you just have to learn to live with some things.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Where's the INGO love?? Not much flowing out of this thread..
    Cameramonkey you are correct.. NOTHING worse that someone looking you in the eyes and talking to you as if you are a complete idiot and will believe anything that crosses his lips. One of my pet peeves and it does seem to happen more frequently at car dealerships than anywhere else.. Like being at the gunshop and just happening to have a Navy Seal/Sniper expounding his wisdom and many adventures for all to hear. :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom