The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 15th Edition: Be more like Coleman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So I got curious about the original incident here.

Turns out about six years ago, Chile and Brazil women’s teams were competing for the bronze medal in the South American Games and track cycling.

That widget she crashed into is the starting gate for a track bicycle. Two teams at a time on the track, and they start simultaneously, but from opposite sides of the oval.

There was a false start, and the officials blew whistles and waved red flags to signal the riders to return to starting positions. Since there was going to be a restart, the starting gates were not pulled from the track.

However only the Brazil team noticed the signals. The Chilean team kept going full bore, and I guess when they made their half lap, the lead rider suddenly noticed the starting gate still on the tracks and swerved. The second rider (who was close because she is using the lead rider as a wind break) tried to dodge but collided with the starting gate and ended up with a broken patella (ouch). Brazilians ended up with the bronze medal by default.

I didn’t know this until I researched this incident, but track cycles are single gear, no brakes, and I believe the front wheel is fixed in position. I guess you turn the bike by leaning. The ends of the track oval or steeply banked which aids in turning, and basically they just go as fast as they can pedal a fixed gear single speed bike.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    F9CFUyFWwAAAOiD.jpeg

Top Bottom