• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I was 9 and it was a Rugar .22 bearcat revolver. My dad let me shoot a raccoon in the head that he had trapped. Sadly i missed the 1st time, but got him on the second shot.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Dad's old Winchester model 37 16 ga. single shot when I was about 6 or 7. The gun was nearly as big as me, and it damn near knocked me on my butt. I loved it.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Mossberg single shot .22 rifle.

Grandpa was a butcher. During the Great Depression people would bring him pigs. He'd shoot the pigs in the head with that rifle to stun them then slit their throats and butcher them. For his time and skill he'd take part of the meat so the rifle fed him during the Depression. I'm no butcher so I don't know how it all works but that's the story I was told. First gun my Dad shot, first gun my kid shot, too.

JEDenny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Georgetown
    I was 7 or 8 and I remember shooting my Great Grandpas 1930sWinchester Model 60 single shot .22 short, long & long rifle. Yep, I washooked! I then begged him to shoot his 12 gauge. Knocked me back a few stepsbut I was grinning the whole time. I still have that rifle and its also thefirst gun I taught my kids to shoot.
    Winchester60.jpg

Last edited:

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    A Colt detective special and a Ruger 10-22 were the first two guns I ever shot (not counting air rifles). My buddy's mom married a cardiologist our senior year of high school. He had a huge house/property in the middle of nowhere and we would go there to drink at night(half the time they didn't even know we were there) and then wake up early to shoot his guns in the morning. I remember when his mom and stepfather finally caught us outside shooting. His mom said it reminded her of the movie deliverance watching one of our friends run with the rifle through the woods when he saw them pulling up the drive. They really didn't care about us shooting the guns, but my buddy had a philosophy of it being better to ask for forgiveness than permission in those days.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Gee, I'm 74 and it's been too long! I was taught to shoot by my BIL shortly after WW2. He had shotguns, 22 rifles, a 45, German Mauser handgun etc. We would go to a woods and shoot at an old dump site at bottles and cans. I remember shooting several firearms, some stand out in my memory (this was in the 1940's), I know I shot his 16 gage, 22 rifle, and one modified army 45, he said it was chambered for a much higher power (I guess a wildcat) round.

Reason I remember was that I shot at an abandoned telegraph pole, the gun hit me in the middle of the back after firing (I was holding it in both hands to no avail! Also remember shooting a "Trappers model 12 gage when I was about 8 or 9, next thing I knew I was on my back. My father's health was too poor to teach me, although he had fought in the Spanish American conflict and spent 7 years in Europe in WW2, later was a Machine gun instructor. (He passed when I was 10) so my BIL educated in gun safety and the shooting game. The first guns I owned was a BB gun, then a pellet, then a 22 rifle.

Now my youngest son (in his mid 40's) and I have about 100 firearms and shoot hi-power a lot!

Top Bottom