• Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Range Name: The Farm – Jackson County, Indiana ~ Rayne ~

102_4712.jpg

My home range is my own backyard and farm fields. My husband's Grandfather built this house and this land has been in our family for almost 100 years. Living in a rural area allows us to shoot anytime we would like, though we do have neighbors within hearing distance, so we are reasonable when shooting in the morning.

Today I went out to sight in my Ruger Mark lll. So I packed up my .22 caliber gear in a backpack and called the dog to put her in the house. She tends to be the one who complains the most about the shooting.

Where I’ve been shooting since the crops were in the fields, happens to be a short walk down the lane. It’s actually in a very handy location too because it’s right next to my finishing floor and when I have extra time in between chores, I sometimes get a little shooting in.

100_2646.jpg

100_2648.jpg

As you can see we don't have a very sophisticated set up. An old lawn chair and an electrical wire reel and a yard sign is what I'll be using today. We do have some bowling pins and some very small AR500 targets stored in the hoop buildings there to the left of the targets.

100_2649.jpg

100_2650.jpg

I had gotten all my gear out and target posted, ready to shoot, when I realized I had left the red dot on and ran down the battery. So much for zeroing in the sight today.

100_2651.jpg

So I walked back up to the house and got my 10/22. Might was well get a little appleseed practice in.

100_2658.jpg

I've been to two Appleseeds and have learned from each one. Now I'm trying to implement what I've learned to make it natural. I'm not satisfied with a rifleman's score in the teens...I know I can do better and want to do better. If I was only going after the patch I would have been done after my first Appleseed. I know there's more to learn and I know I can be better. For instance, YellowHouseJake told me not to release the trigger until at the top of my breath. It would help me with trigger control and to time it with my breathing would be easy to remember. How right he was. Here's the results.

100_2652.jpg

That's ten shots at 25 yards, prone with a loop sling, scope turned down to 4x, shooting federal bulk pack ammo. A one inch group is nice, but I'm looking for better yet.

We have long fields behind our house and we can shoot distance with the natural backstops of the hills. We can stretch out even further up to 800 yards shooting across several fields, but this can only be done when the crops are out.

Click the images below to see the video.

This one was taken last May, when my Son was home for Mother's Day. My gift? Getting to shoot his Mosin.

One last thing. Anyone who says that a .22 won't do any damage, I'd like for you to look at this. Not only is the 22 coming through two boards, some of them continued on through the other two boards in the back. Don't underestimate the damage a 22 can do. That's my PSA for the day.

100_2657.jpg

We have a spot to the West of here that used to be one of our boar pens that we'd like to turn into a shooting bay. We have access to a bunch of fill dirt this winter and hopefully will be able to make that happen. It will be a little longer walk and not as close to my finisher, but it will be much safer to have friends and family over to shoot.

That's my review of my favorite range, but while I have your attention I'd like to show you were the bacon is raised. :D

This is their home for about 4 months, depending on how big they are when I get them.

100_4386.jpg

They come in on tractor trailers...driving right through my shooting range too. :):

100_4388.jpg

They're kinda cute at this age!

100_4392.jpg

All settled in...learning about their new enviroment.

100_4395.jpg

Thank you INGO and Bradis for sponsoring this contest. I've gotten to see a few of the public ranges that I've heard people talk about.

Top Bottom