• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Ok guys and girls, My wife and I are taking the kids to the St. Louis Zoo next weekend and was wondering if any of you out there know things I need to know or watch out for while there. I will be carrying as I always do. I have already called the state police headquarters and was told that yes they do recognize our LTCH and that if I see a no gun sign then carry in that place is a no go also that I need to conceal while there. If anyone can and would expand on this. I would greatly appreciate the info.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    watch out for the Arch. You can get away with carrying on the property if it is well concealed but don't try to take it to the museum underneath (which is half the fun of going).

Also, stop and have a pig snoot sandwich for me.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Been twice within the past year.

The arch has metal detectors going inside, it's a no go.

The zoo, has no checkpoints, so you can carry there.

I hear they have a great museum there as well. Never been, but I plan on going sometime soon. It's a great city with lots of stuff to do.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    We are going to St. Louis next month and I'm trying to figure it all out too. The Missouri carry law is a bit strange as listed on hangunlaw's website. If I'm reading the webpage correctly, it lists all the 17 places a person can't carry even with a license and says that leaving it in your car is not a criminal offense. This implies that carrying it in places such as hospitals, universities, court houses etc is, in fact, a criminal offense. But then in section 2 it says that carrying in one of the 17 no carry zones listed in section 1 is not a criminal offense if you have a license to carry but could subject you to being told to leave, making it a criminal offense if you refuse to leave if told to leave. It seems like this makes it ok to carry at a university, where I'll be visiting. But armedcampuses.org (an anti-carry site I think) has Missouri listed as one of the states that, unlike Indiana, totally prohibits campus carry by law. I'm confused. Anyone know?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Head out to chesterfield and eat at EDGE WILD. And get some of the local potato chips at a store...Expensive but good.
    I didn't make it to The Shaved Duck.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We are going to St. Louis next month and I'm trying to figure it all out too. The Missouri carry law is a bit strange as listed on hangunlaw's website. If I'm reading the webpage correctly, it lists all the 17 places a person can't carry even with a license and says that leaving it in your car is not a criminal offense. This implies that carrying it in places such as hospitals, universities, court houses etc is, in fact, a criminal offense. But then in section 2 it says that carrying in one of the 17 no carry zones listed in section 1 is not a criminal offense if you have a license to carry but could subject you to being told to leave, making it a criminal offense if you refuse to leave if told to leave. It seems like this makes it ok to carry at a university, where I'll be visiting. But armedcampuses.org (an anti-carry site I think) has Missouri listed as one of the states that, unlike Indiana, totally prohibits campus carry by law. I'm confused. Anyone know?

Best bet in this instance is to look up prohibited places in the Missouri statutes.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

571-030 prohibits the carrying of firearms, loaded or unloaded, into a school.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Best bet in this instance is to look up prohibited places in the Missouri statutes.

Section 571-030 Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--pe

571-030 prohibits the carrying of firearms, loaded or unloaded, into a school.

Isn't the following strange? This is confusing:

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued before August 28, 2013, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

And then #10 of subsection 1 says:

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

I'm sure they don't allow carry in schools but the way it's written sure makes it seem like if you have a valid permit you can.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    So this is the section pertaining to where you are not authorized to carry even with a permit: Section 571-107 Permit does not authorize concealed fir

But read the following: "No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:" Then it lists 17 places including police stations, polling places, correctional, courthouses, places that serve alcohol and receive less than 51% of their revenue from food, universities, hospitals, amusement parks, child care facilities, any place prohibited by federal law, church unless allowed by the leaders etc... In most of these places it specifies something along the lines of "it shall not be a criminal act if the firearm is in a vehicle and is not brandished on the property." Doesn't this seem to imply that having it on the property out of the vehicle is a criminal offense?

But then in the next section it says: "2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense....". If I'm reading this correctly, it's saying you can't get arrested for carrying in any of those places (even places prohibited by federal law?!?!?! that seems weird), but that you can get kicked out. Am I misinterpreting this?

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Also read up on transporting through Illinois if driving. You can do it, but it has to stay in the locked car if you exit. I went to St. Louis a few weeks ago and confirmed this with Illinois State Police. Their website isn't clear on the transport law.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I checked with the Missouri Attorney General's office and they said that it is true that technically those 17 places listed in the Revised Statute are off limits for carry, but that the worst that can happen to you is that you are asked to leave the premises, unless you refuse to leave. It is not a criminal offense simply to carry in those places. I'm still confused about the one that says "any place prohibited by federal law." Obviously in those places it would be a crime, right? Anyways, it seems like most of their no carry zones would not make you a criminal.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    They have some funny knife laws as well. Last time I checked, fixed blades are a no go , regardless of blade length. And on a side note, I love St. Louis pizza. Imo's is pretty darn good. The cheese they use is awesome.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Also, don't miss the Mo. Botanical Garden, if you like that sort of thing. It has to be one of the best that is out there.

Top Bottom