• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    This is why people should keep alway remember opsec ;) ......agencys (so called book experts) will want what you have for the good of the commuity and more with people like this they will push for anti-food hording laws and turn in a food horder for reward programs.......read story 20 year emergency manger views are eye opening.....and comments of pissed off people

http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergency-blogs/campus/Doomsday-Preppers-Emergency-Management-112912.html

and her reply story she still dosen't get it......and pissed off comments follow perfect example why people who prepare should be mindful of these so called experts and agencys.....just my :twocents:

http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergency-blogs/campus/Doomsday_Disaster_Preppers_Emergency_Management-120212.html

:patriot:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Wow. She has two follow-up posts as well. I read the three posts and many of the comments. She is in full Bob Costas mode: surprised at the blowback, offering non-apology apologies, trying to divide and conquer (doomsday preppers vs. disaster preppers), and not really learning from or responding to well-reasoned responses. As a gun owner, I've never seen those tactics before. :rolleyes:

She really has a view as an "Emergency Management Professional" that preppers should be managed and brought in line. She has yet to address the dozens of responses that ask her how using private resources to provide for their own families, extended families, and/or neighbors needs is selfish.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I guess that I am a selfish prick. Also half the people around me are too. We have for years put back food for hard times and have used guns to hunt and protect our selves. I don't see that changing any time soon.

As for expecting FEMA to take care of us. With the job they have dun in the past I will stick with trying to provide for me and mine.

Just a few thoughts from a selfish prick.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This is significant, and admitted to by the author:
    ”I can also unequivocally state (and I don’t know an emergency manager who would disagree with me) that NOBODY should expect help from their government during the first few weeks of any major disaster. The issues we saw in Katrina and Sandy (among others) only confirm it. The people who needed help right away were the ones who didn't prepare. They took away resources that could have been used to recover infrastructure and bring the communities back on line a lot sooner.”

So on one hand, she's saying preppers are selfish. On the other, she's saying non-preppers are deluded and a bigger problem. :dunno:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All actions are either selfish or suicidal. If you "hoard" food, you keep yourself fed and are selfish. If you give your food away, even if not all of it now, that could eventually be the feed reserves you needed to stave off starvation, and so you are suicidal.

This is, of course, a false dichotomy, as they all are. In between are the giving of food one cannot eat before it goes bad and the sharing of resources that actually garners personal benefits, but I've never experienced those.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There already IS a federal law prohibiting personal food hording. It was an executive order signed by William Jefferson Clinton. Along with that was another one giving the government the ability to seize all energy sources, and another allowing the government to control all labor. Lots of laws already there to make us slaves of the state, pretty much, whenever they think they can get away with it.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just another wolf in sheep's clothing. This gal considers private property a public right. She needs to goose step her way elsewhere. I'm prepared for this eventuality and got the idea on Doomsday Preppers. Anyone trying to steal food or provisions from me will find their Rifles and Handguns turned into pipe bombs and they will become very sick.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Proud to be another selfish prick! My property, my business, I will defend it at all costs. I will take care of my own 1st. Screw those who think the .gov will provide for them. If someone thinks they will take from me and provide to those who weren't prepared, let the lead fly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've read Valerie's four posts on this subject and now Eric Holdeman's wonderment at the response she has been getting (Most Popular Blog Post of All Time!). I've come to the conclusion that there is a large gap between the world-views of the people who write this blog and preppers that may be very difficult to ever bridge.

The title of their blog is: "Emergency Management: Strategy and Leadership in Critical Times". It appears that they look at things from a very top-down view, with Emergency Managers organizing things and telling others what do to. It isn't clear from my readings there why preppers should listen to them and what they really have to offer us. Valerie admitted that she has only minimal preparations herself. This is the proverbial "do as I say, not as I do" situation.

Meanwhile, preppers (to varying extents) try to live so as to be able to handle difficult times both large and small. From my experience, preppers tend to be pretty independent which is antithetical to a top-down approach. They do not need to be "managed" into being prepared, but will instead voluntarily learn, help each other, and store supplies to make sure that they can handle as many problems as possible. MSGs are a reflection of this bottom-up self-organizing scheme.

Given the difference in world views, it becomes obvious why Valarie objected to preppers (extreme or otherwise). From the top-down perspective, preppers are bad. They have more supplies than others and that isn't "socially responsible"! While many have decided to spend more on travel, larger houses, more expensive cars, and other material goods, preppers have done with fewer luxuries in order to insure that we have more of the basics in order to "Live a better life, if times get tough or even if they don't". **

** Many will recognize this quote from Jack Spirko of the Survival Podcast. I value his knowledge and ability to teach, to pull in experts to talk on various subjects, and his ability to get people to help each other. From my point of view, these make his words far more valuable than someone who tells me they have a degree and/or job title of "Emergency Manager", but who otherwise doesn't offer much.

Given this these differences in world view, I'll be surprised if they can ever become comfortable with people voluntarily prepping and having their own supplies and preppers will feel that their own preps are at risk from "authority figures" who believe they have the right to control others.

PS- As a final note, this quote from Eric's post linked above really stuck a nerve:
    Congratulations on writing a blog that generated responses.....and as a thought-leader who provided a challenge, it should be expected that some of those responses will be emotional.
    What the hell is a thought-leader? Someone who is supposed to control what others think? I didn't see anything worth following.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've read Valarie's four posts on this subject and now Eric Holdeman's wonderment at the response she has been getting (Most Popular Blog Post of All Time!). I've come to the conclusion that there is a large gap between the world-views of the people who write this blog and preppers that may be very difficult to ever bridge.

The title of their blog is: "Emergency Management: Strategy and Leadership in Critical Times". It appears that they look at things from a very top-down view, with Emergency Managers organizing things and telling others what do to. It isn't clear from my readings there why preppers should listen to them and what they really have to offer us. Valarie admitted that she has only minimal preparations herself. This is the proverbial "do as I say, not as I do" situation.

Meanwhile, preppers (to varying extents) try to live so as to be able to handle difficult times both large and small. From my experience, preppers tend to be pretty independent which is antithetical to a top-down approach. They do not need to be "managed" into being prepared, but will instead voluntarily learn, help each other, and store supplies to make sure that they can handle as many problems as possible. MSGs are a reflection of this bottom-up self-organizing scheme.

Given the difference in world views, it becomes obvious why Valarie objected to preppers (extreme or otherwise). From the top-down perspective, preppers are bad. They have more supplies than others and that isn't "socially responsible"! While many have decided to spend more on travel, larger houses, more expensive cars, and other material goods, preppers have done with fewer luxuries in order to insure that we have more of the basics in order to "Live a better life, if times get tough or even if they don't". **

** Many will recognize this quote from Jack Spirko of the Survival Podcast. I value his knowledge and ability to teach, to pull in experts to talk on various subjects, and his ability to get people to help each other. From my point of view, these make his words far more valuable than someone who tells me they have a degree and/or job title of "Emergency Manager", but who otherwise doesn't offer much.

Given this these differences in world view, I'll be surprised if they can ever become comfortable with people voluntarily prepping and having their own supplies and preppers will feel that their own preps are at risk from "authority figures" who believe they have the right to control others.

The world has turned 180 degrees in my lifetime. If the SHTF not a good idea to come around and attempt to secure my supplies for those who spent the time/money on travel,cars,cloths etc. Just not wise at all.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What the hell is a thought-leader? Someone who is supposed to control what others think? I didn't see anything worth following.
    You answered your own question earlier in your post.

It appears that they look at things from a very top-down view, with Emergency Managers organizing things and telling others what to do.
    There is no doing without first thinking. Valerie is the queen of her particular governmental hive mind. She does the thinking, we, her drones, do the doing.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They believe that they set the policy and we implement it by the approved mechanisms. They can't fathom that people might prefer mechanisms other than those approved and that individuals might have policy goals that differ from those laid down from on high. A "thought-leader" is a masturbatory fantasy indulged in by those in positions of power who view their power as supreme (read: federal). It's a bureaucratic fiction.

Thought leaders promulgate their thoughts through "professional" journals, like Emergency Managers Monthly and Jack Boot Times. They publish white papers from alphabet agencies about how returning vets, Sovereign Citizens, Ayn Randians, Ron Paulites, Tea Partiers, and Conservatives not loyal to the Republican Party establishment are the next great threat to government authorities. Those thoughts are willingly eaten up by their immediate underlings, whose welfare is predicated on following orders and respecting chains of command. By the time those thoughts filter down to a point where those people engage with people not in their chains of command, they've had those thoughts repeated to them a dozen times by hundreds of their peers in similar and superior positions of authority to the point that they are accepted as self-reinforcing gospel. Any dissent from the proletariat is just uneducated and... selfish.

Top Bottom