• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    NOTE: The first six posts in this thread were copied from another that addressed race as a central component of the discussion. As Fenway does not permit those discussions here, I've copied these posts so the discussion can continue about the effect of "gun control" laws, irrespective of race. Please confine all discussions herein to the laws themselves and their effect on the populations (generally) under them. Thank you.

Well, according to the comments, the author is well-known for his "progressive" views and apparently envisions any failure of a Black man to succeed in life as someone else's fault. Regardless of these points, I have to say he was doing fine... right up until he got to the part about "reasonable gun control", which he seems to think includes "ban(ning) gun show sales, straw purchases, interstate gun trafficking, and other loopholes that enable handguns to get into the hands of criminals."
    He goes on to decry the private ownership of what he calls WMDs "that have no sporting or self-defense purpose"...presumably, he refers to those evil black rifles, along with AK-pattern rifles and any of several other long guns that look like military firearms.

Obviously, I need not detail amongst the members of this board why what he views as "reasonable gun control" is a fallacy; control the criminals and there is no need to control the guns, and I probably don't need to explain the idiocy he embraces with the rest of that, either, however, for those new to INGO or those reading who may not be as familiar with the issues, I will anyway.

Banning gun show sales: The much-discussed "gun show loophole" that in truth, is a phantom. There is no such animal- the "loophole" is the fact that private citizens may buy and sell their property to other private citizens at their leisure, without involving someone who's paid a fee to obtain a title. To put it in perspective, if the "loophole" was "closed", it would mean that to sell a gun, you must do so at or through a retailer who handles them. To some, this makes sense because so many people die as a result of gun violence, however, many, many more people die in car accidents, and we don't have to buy and sell cars only at car dealers. People have been killed with various workshop tools as well, but if I have a hammer or screwdriver or chainsaw that my neighbor likes and wants to buy from me, I don't have to return to a hardware store and pay a fee to the proprietor to make the sale legal. Ah, but cars and tools have other purposes and after all, a gun is only useful for killing. Disagree. A gun is useful for many things; hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-defense among them. Most of the defensive gun uses, and there are about 2.5 million of these in any given year, do not involve a single shot being fired.

Straw purchases, that is, the purchase of a firearm by one who is not prevented by law from doing so for the purpose of delivering it to someone who is so prevented, is already unlawful, leading, in some cases, to fear on the part of a wife who wants to buy a gun for her husband. The intent of the law may be sound, but the execution of it is far less so.

"Interstate gun trafficking" sounds so ominous and frightening... it must be a terrible crime, right? Only... it's not. If I live in one state and want to buy a gun for someone in another (for example, my great-nephew, who lives several states away,) I cannot purchase a single-shot, .22LR rifle known as a "Davey Crickett" and put it in a box to send to his father to hold for him until he is of an age to learn about it's safe use. I cannot purchase it and take it to him, either. Nor can I go to the state where he lives, make the purchase, and deliver it there. No, I must purchase it here in my state, have it shipped from a gun dealer here to a gun dealer in his state, pay a fee to both dealers, and then, his father can go to that dealer, fill out paperwork, pay any state fees, wait out any state-mandated waiting periods, and only then may this small, "trainer"-type rifle go home with him to be held for his son's maturing. Yes, we are SO much safer when a man cannot purchase a rifle to be held in safekeeping for its eventual owner, who is two years old, to grow up a little bit.

As should be obvious, none of these laws prevent criminals from obtaining guns; they are criminals, which means they do not obey laws! Besides, if your intent is to commit robbery, rape, or murder, all of which are against the law and with far greater penalties, will a bunch of words on a piece of paper telling you that it is illegal for you to possess a firearm really stop you from doing so?

As for the point about the "weapons of mass destruction", and again, I can only guess that the author refers to specific rifles with a military origin and basic appearance, I invite his attention to the well-publicized riots in Los Angeles around the time of the Rodney King verdict. News broadcasts showed Korean shopkeepers standing on their rooftops with AK-pattern rifles, near other shops without the owners being armed. Guess which shops didn't get robbed. One further note of interest, around the same time, many of the celebrities who had come out in support of such things as waiting periods, law-enforcement checks, etc., found in their time of fear and yes, need, they went to gun stores to purchase pistols for their own defense. The dealers were all too happy to take their money, but alas, the laws they had embraced now prevented them from leaving the stores with the guns for which they'd just paid. They were told to come back in 7-14 days to pick up their guns, in compliance with state law, fame, fortune, and name-recognition notwithstanding.

I hope that this has been educational for those who have not heard it before. The facts backing up statements within the text can be found readily from sources such as Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, a compilation of various of these facts, exhaustively researched and painstakingly footnoted.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, according to the comments, the author is well-known for his "progressive" views and apparently envisions any failure of a Black man to succeed in life as someone else's fault. Regardless of these points, I have to say he was doing fine... right up until he got to the part about "reasonable gun control", which he seems to think includes "ban(ning) gun show sales, straw purchases, interstate gun trafficking, and other loopholes that enable handguns to get into the hands of criminals."
    He goes on to decry the private ownership of what he calls WMDs "that have no sporting or self-defense purpose"...presumably, he refers to those evil black rifles, along with AK-pattern rifles and any of several other long guns that look like military firearms.

Obviously, I need not detail amongst the members of this board why what he views as "reasonable gun control" is a fallacy; control the criminals and there is no need to control the guns, and I probably don't need to explain the idiocy he embraces with the rest of that, either, however, for those new to INGO or those reading who may not be as familiar with the issues, I will anyway.

Banning gun show sales: The much-discussed "gun show loophole" that in truth, is a phantom. There is no such animal- the "loophole" is the fact that private citizens may buy and sell their property to other private citizens at their leisure, without involving someone who's paid a fee to obtain a title. To put it in perspective, if the "loophole" was "closed", it would mean that to sell a gun, you must do so at or through a retailer who handles them. To some, this makes sense because so many people die as a result of gun violence, however, many, many more people die in car accidents, and we don't have to buy and sell cars only at car dealers. People have been killed with various workshop tools as well, but if I have a hammer or screwdriver or chainsaw that my neighbor likes and wants to buy from me, I don't have to return to a hardware store and pay a fee to the proprietor to make the sale legal. Ah, but cars and tools have other purposes and after all, a gun is only useful for killing. Disagree. A gun is useful for many things; hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-defense among them. Most of the defensive gun uses, and there are about 2.5 million of these in any given year, do not involve a single shot being fired.

Straw purchases, that is, the purchase of a firearm by one who is not prevented by law from doing so for the purpose of delivering it to someone who is so prevented, is already unlawful, leading, in some cases, to fear on the part of a wife who wants to buy a gun for her husband. The intent of the law may be sound, but the execution of it is far less so.

"Interstate gun trafficking" sounds so ominous and frightening... it must be a terrible crime, right? Only... it's not. If I live in one state and want to buy a gun for someone in another (for example, my great-nephew, who lives several states away,) I cannot purchase a single-shot, .22LR rifle known as a "Davey Crickett" and put it in a box to send to his father to hold for him until he is of an age to learn about it's safe use. I cannot purchase it and take it to him, either. Nor can I go to the state where he lives, make the purchase, and deliver it there. No, I must purchase it here in my state, have it shipped from a gun dealer here to a gun dealer in his state, pay a fee to both dealers, and then, his father can go to that dealer, fill out paperwork, pay any state fees, wait out any state-mandated waiting periods, and only then may this small, "trainer"-type rifle go home with him to be held for his son's maturing. Yes, we are SO much safer when a man cannot purchase a rifle to be held in safekeeping for its eventual owner, who is two years old, to grow up a little bit.

As should be obvious, none of these laws prevent criminals from obtaining guns; they are criminals, which means they do not obey laws! Besides, if your intent is to commit robbery, rape, or murder, all of which are against the law and with far greater penalties, will a bunch of words on a piece of paper telling you that it is illegal for you to possess a firearm really stop you from doing so?

As for the point about the "weapons of mass destruction", and again, I can only guess that the author refers to specific rifles with a military origin and basic appearance, I invite his attention to the well-publicized riots in Los Angeles around the time of the Rodney King verdict. News broadcasts showed Korean shopkeepers standing on their rooftops with AK-pattern rifles, near other shops without the owners being armed. Guess which shops didn't get robbed. One further note of interest, around the same time, many of the celebrities who had come out in support of such things as waiting periods, law-enforcement checks, etc., found in their time of fear and yes, need, they went to gun stores to purchase pistols for their own defense. The dealers were all too happy to take their money, but alas, the laws they had embraced now prevented them from leaving the stores with the guns for which they'd just paid. They were told to come back in 7-14 days to pick up their guns, in compliance with state law, fame, fortune, and name-recognition notwithstanding.

I hope that this has been educational for those who have not heard it before. The facts backing up statements within the text can be found readily from sources such as Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, a compilation of various of these facts, exhaustively researched and painstakingly footnoted.

Blessings,
    Bill

Magnificent work! :woot: Excellent writing and logical, powerful argumentation! Adequate documentation. Thanks for your work. Out of rep, so five thumbs up is the best I can do now. :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Bapak2ja - Got him for ya! ;)

Here's the key to it all from BOR's post:

Reminds me of a popular slogan that goes something like: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws wil have guns."

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Well, according to the comments, the author is well-known for his "progressive" views and apparently envisions any failure of a Black man to succeed in life as someone else's fault.

That's not correct at all Bill. I've met and talked with Dr. Hill on several occasions. He definately has an east coast liberal worldview, but he is not a typical race pimp ala Jessee Jackson / Al Sharpton.

I think he calls most of it fairly accurately. There was a time when blacks were oppressed. That fact cannot reasonably be denied. Some would say that time has not yet passed. Situationally there's a case that can be made, but I don't think it's systemic. So I don't think your characterization is quite correct.

Regardless of these points, I have to say he was doing fine... right up until he got to the part about "reasonable gun control", which he seems to think includes "ban(ning) gun show sales, straw purchases, interstate gun trafficking, and other loopholes that enable handguns to get into the hands of criminals."

I respectfully submit you presume too much. We don't know what he means, because he didn't say it clearly. He could have just as easily meant bombs capable of destroying a city block. Out in our neck of the woods the same device provides entertainment when used in combination with highpowered rifles and mass quanities of beer. Remember that people who don't own cars and live on the 50th floor of a building have a different view of the world. Not saying they're correct; I dont think they are. But rather than scream past each other taking a little time to understand an opponent's views give an opportunity to enlighten them.

No disagreement at all.

The gun show loophole is non-existant. Selling a firearm without a 4473 is not without exposure though. Without trying to offend anyone, let me explain the real issue.

Manufacturer builds a firearm. They submit paperwork to ATF telling them the firearm exists. They transfer to a dealer or distributor. They add the weapon to their books. We'll take the dealer leg. The dealer sells it to an individual. A 4473 is filled out. Brady Bunch is called. OK given.

Fast forward to the gun show. An individual gets a table and sells his guns without a license. To whomever he wants. Free market as it's supposed to be, right? Wrong. He doesn't have to fill out a 4473, doesn't have to call the Brady Bunch, but it is still a crime to transfer a weapon to a non-proper person. If the seller fails to ask for a driver's license to show residency, ask if the buyer has been convicted of a felony or domestic violence, along with the other questions on the 4473 and transfers the weapon, he just committed a federal felony.

There was recently a case where a private straw purchase sale in Texas to an illegal alien ended in the seller's conviction for a federal felony. I'm not defending the law, just stating the results of it. An argument can be made that given the current state of the law, transferring via a 4473 protects the seller.

Straw purchases, that is, the purchase of a firearm by one who is not prevented by law from doing so [STRIKE]for the purpose of delivering it to someone who is so prevented[/STRIKE] on behalf of another person, is already unlawful, leading, in some cases, to fear on the part of a wife who wants to buy a gun for her husband. The intent of the law may be sound, but the execution of it is far less so.

FIFY. You may buy a gun as a gift for another person, as long as that person is a proper person under the law, the weapon is not on the NFA registry, and the transfer itself is lawful. You may not buy a weapon on behalf of another person, whether that person is a proper person or not.

Interstate trafficking of firearms is a terrible crime. Not necessarily because it should be, but because it is. You can go to prison for a very long time and pay a very large fine for doing it. Again, not defending the law, simply stating its effect. Your example isn't quite right. There are bordering state exceptions and the like, but essentially you are correct. As with anything else, there are ways to change it. Vote in legislators who will change the law.

Again, no on knows what he means. Everything you've said is conjecture.

Blessings,
    Bill

I think you also have to consider his audience. If he doesn't use some of the phrases he does and raise some of the points he does he can't get a debate going. There are a couple points that are a tad twisted, but all in all I thought it was a good read, especially when the intended readership is factored in.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Gun laws are a bad sign for everybody and race has nothing to do with it.

Gun laws mean there are people trying to keep free and moral men from being as free as they could be (and thus making them them more subject to evil), or it means that the population has become so morally corrupt that they cannot be trusted with firearms and society is revoking their privileges.

I don't think gun laws impact anyone just because of their skin color. I doubt there's any text in any gun law regarding skin color or it probably never would have made it law (and rightfully so!)

So, while I may agree with the author on some premises, I think he is missing a major point that none of the laws get triggered because of their skin color.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From what I read, I don't think that race was his main argument. It seems to me that he was talking about impoverished areas and those living there. The assumption of race is there, but the problem that he is talking about is about economic means. Basically, the ghetto is dangerous. Who knew?:rolleyes:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, according to the comments, the author is well-known for his "progressive" views and apparently envisions any failure of a Black man to succeed in life as someone else's fault.

That's not correct at all Bill. I've met and talked with Dr. Hill on several occasions. He definately has an east coast liberal worldview, but he is not a typical race pimp ala Jessee Jackson / Al Sharpton.

I think he calls most of it fairly accurately. There was a time when blacks were oppressed. That fact cannot reasonably be denied. Some would say that time has not yet passed. Situationally there's a case that can be made, but I don't think it's systemic. So I don't think your characterization is quite correct.

Regardless of these points, I have to say he was doing fine... right up until he got to the part about "reasonable gun control", which he seems to think includes "ban(ning) gun show sales, straw purchases, interstate gun trafficking, and other loopholes that enable handguns to get into the hands of criminals."

I respectfully submit you presume too much. We don't know what he means, because he didn't say it clearly. He could have just as easily meant bombs capable of destroying a city block. Out in our neck of the woods the same device provides entertainment when used in combination with highpowered rifles and mass quanities of beer. Remember that people who don't own cars and live on the 50th floor of a building have a different view of the world. Not saying they're correct; I dont think they are. But rather than scream past each other taking a little time to understand an opponent's views give an opportunity to enlighten them.

No disagreement at all.

The gun show loophole is non-existant. Selling a firearm without a 4473 is not without exposure though. Without trying to offend anyone, let me explain the real issue.

Manufacturer builds a firearm. They submit paperwork to ATF telling them the firearm exists. They transfer to a dealer or distributor. They add the weapon to their books. We'll take the dealer leg. The dealer sells it to an individual. A 4473 is filled out. Brady Bunch is called. OK given.

Fast forward to the gun show. An individual gets a table and sells his guns without a license. To whomever he wants. Free market as it's supposed to be, right? Wrong. He doesn't have to fill out a 4473, doesn't have to call the Brady Bunch, but it is still a crime to transfer a weapon to a non-proper person. If the seller fails to ask for a driver's license to show residency, ask if the buyer has been convicted of a felony or domestic violence, along with the other questions on the 4473 and transfers the weapon, he just committed a federal felony.

There was recently a case where a private straw purchase sale in Texas to an illegal alien ended in the seller's conviction for a federal felony. I'm not defending the law, just stating the results of it. An argument can be made that given the current state of the law, transferring via a 4473 protects the seller.

Straw purchases, that is, the purchase of a firearm by one who is not prevented by law from doing so [strike]for the purpose of delivering it to someone who is so prevented[/strike] on behalf of another person, is already unlawful, leading, in some cases, to fear on the part of a wife who wants to buy a gun for her husband. The intent of the law may be sound, but the execution of it is far less so.

FIFY. You may buy a gun as a gift for another person, as long as that person is a proper person under the law, the weapon is not on the NFA registry, and the transfer itself is lawful. You may not buy a weapon on behalf of another person, whether that person is a proper person or not.

Interstate trafficking of firearms is a terrible crime. Not necessarily because it should be, but because it is. You can go to prison for a very long time and pay a very large fine for doing it. Again, not defending the law, simply stating its effect. Your example isn't quite right. There are bordering state exceptions and the like, but essentially you are correct. As with anything else, there are ways to change it. Vote in legislators who will change the law.

Again, no on knows what he means. Everything you've said is conjecture.

Blessings,
    Bill

I think you also have to consider his audience. If he doesn't use some of the phrases he does and raise some of the points he does he can't get a debate going. There are a couple points that are a tad twisted, but all in all I thought it was a good read, especially when the intended readership is factored in.

I'll answer more later, but the main points on which I'd like to comment are the fact that his reference to WMDs specified "without a sporting purpose", and this is the reason I'm fairly certain he was speaking of so-called "assault weapons" and not explosives as you postulate, and a clarification that while I sarcastically referred to "gun trafficking" as a terrible crime, my reference should have been to it being something that, while it may violate the malum prohibitum law, it causes no actual harm in and of itself. I should have written that more clearly to indicate the intent of my thought. Thanks for pointing out the lapse. :)

Gun laws are a bad sign for everybody and race has nothing to do with it.

Gun laws mean there are people trying to keep free and moral men from being as free as they could be (and thus making them them more subject to evil), or it means that the population has become so morally corrupt that they cannot be trusted with firearms and society is revoking their privileges.

I don't think gun laws impact anyone just because of their skin color. I doubt there's any text in any gun law regarding skin color or it probably never would have made it law (and rightfully so!)

So, while I may agree with the author on some premises, I think he is missing a major point that none of the laws get triggered because of their skin color.

From what I read, I don't think that race was his main argument. It seems to me that he was talking about impoverished areas and those living there. The assumption of race is there, but the problem that he is talking about is about economic means. Basically, the ghetto is dangerous. Who knew?:rolleyes:

As above, if we continue along these lines, we need to focus solely on the economic structure. You guys have hit on the salient point, that the laws apply irrespective of race, regardless of the fact that they were originally designed to disarm all minorities. Thanks!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The additional points I wanted to make earlier but could not as I was pressed for time:

My remarks about Dr. Hill were based on the comments attached to his article. I have no knowledge of the man personally and thought I clearly defined that the references to his views and described victim mentality were solely based on those comments and not on any opinion I have of him.

I won't belabor the point about the WMDs but will only add that "sporting purpose" is a term that I'm not aware of being used other than in reference to small arms, i.e. rifles, shotguns, and handguns. If it is used otherwise with any regularity, I'd be willing to reevaluate my statement. :)

Reference selling a firearm via 4473: I don't disagree that it provides some small shield against legal exposure, much as hiring an attorney provides a similar shield in a courtroom. It is not a requirement, however, that you must hire counsel to defend you, only strongly recommended. You are free to disregard that wise advice at your leisure. Laws closing the non-existent "loophole" aim to remove that freedom with regard to the sale or purchase of a firearm, such that one could only do so through a FFL dealer. Unless a similar hammer/hardware store and car/auto dealership law is passed, I would think this would be an undue restriction on a single type of industry/enterprise. I don't have any legal cite to back up that thought, just logical reasoning and common sense.

SemperFi, you corrected my statement about straw purchases, but for the life of me, I can't see the distinction between what I wrote and what you changed. Would you clarify, please, the difference between a purchase of a gun by "John" who has no criminal record for the purpose of delivering it to "Charlie" who does have a record, and John purchasing the same gun on Charlie's behalf? Do not both of these cases constitute a straw purchase?

Re: Interstate sales, I did specify that the purchase cannot be made for the child "who lives several states away", negating the bordering state exception. Further, that "trafficking" is a violation of law is not in question. My sarcasm, I thought, showed that the effect of the law was only to punish those who obey laws, not the people of ill intent who provide guns for the use of those who intend to use them in criminal activities.

Your last lines, "I think you also have to consider his audience. If he doesn't use some of the phrases he does and raise some of the points he does he can't get a debate going. There are a couple points that are a tad twisted, but all in all I thought it was a good read, especially when the intended readership is factored in." I see as making excuses. As I indicated in my first note, I did think his article was well-written until he started in on "gun control". In advocating that, he has most certainly gotten a debate going, but it would seem to me that he has taken a page from Jim Zumbo's old playbook in advocating the knowledge and use of firearms, but only of those firearms of which he approves and only if their sales are as he thinks they should be sold. In fairness, I have to say that both of those statements could apply to me as well, though there is a large difference in which firearms and of which sale methods he and I approve.

Mine would be "all" and "any", respectively; Insofar as the law goes, I do not think the law should be addressing these issues. Control the criminals and leave the guns alone.

Blessings,
    Bill

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The additional points I wanted to make earlier but could not as I was pressed for time:

My remarks about Dr. Hill were based on the comments attached to his article. I have no knowledge of the man personally and thought I clearly defined that the references to his views and described victim mentality were solely based on those comments and not on any opinion I have of him.

You said:

I replied:

"That's" being the conclusion drawn from the comments you referred to. It wasn't personal.

I won't belabor the point about the WMDs but will only add that "sporting purpose" is a term that I'm not aware of being used other than in reference to small arms, i.e. rifles, shotguns, and handguns. If it is used otherwise with any regularity, I'd be willing to reevaluate my statement. :)

We will have to disagree about presuming fact not in evidence, and words not spoken. Inartfully worded enough to not have any understanding of the meaning, IMHO.

Reference selling a firearm via 4473: I don't disagree that it provides some small shield against legal exposure, much as hiring an attorney provides a similar shield in a courtroom. It is not a requirement, however, that you must hire counsel to defend you, only strongly recommended. You are free to disregard that wise advice at your leisure. Laws closing the non-existent "loophole" aim to remove that freedom with regard to the sale or purchase of a firearm, such that one could only do so through a FFL dealer. Unless a similar hammer/hardware store and car/auto dealership law is passed, I would think this would be an undue restriction on a single type of industry/enterprise. I don't have any legal cite to back up that thought, just logical reasoning and common sense.

If you sell a firearms to a restricted person you can go to prison. Transferring through an FFL fixes this as they have to call the Brady Bunch. Using a 4473 provides the next best level of protection, because if nothing else the buyer affirms under oath and penalty of perjury that the statements made are truthful.

SemperFi, you corrected my statement about straw purchases, but for the life of me, I can't see the distinction between what I wrote and what you changed. Would you clarify, please, the difference between a purchase of a gun by "John" who has no criminal record for the purpose of delivering it to "Charlie" who does have a record, and John purchasing the same gun on Charlie's behalf? Do not both of these cases constitute a straw purchase?

It doesn't matter if Charlie has a record or not. You may not buy a gun in place of another person. You may buy it as a gift. You can decide to sell it 5 minutes after you purchase it. But swearing under penalty of perjury you are the purchaser when another person is really buying it and you are filling out the 4473 is a crime punishable by a long time in prison and a big fine.

Re: Interstate sales, I did specify that the purchase cannot be made for the child "who lives several states away", negating the bordering state exception. Further, that "trafficking" is a violation of law is not in question. My sarcasm, I thought, showed that the effect of the law was only to punish those who obey laws, not the people of ill intent who provide guns for the use of those who intend to use them in criminal activities.

You said:

"Interstate gun trafficking" sounds so ominous and frightening... it must be a terrible crime, right? Only... it's not. ...
    I replied:

Interstate trafficking of firearms is a terrible crime. Not necessarily because it should be, but because it is. You can go to prison for a very long time and pay a very large fine for doing it.
    It was exactly because I recognized the sarcasm that I retorted. Given the level of respect your words have here (present company included) and the fact that there are many that can't tell the difference between reality and desire as written I felt it prudent to point out that it is a big deal. It shouldn't be but it is.

Your last lines, "I think you also have to consider his audience. If he doesn't use some of the phrases he does and raise some of the points he does he can't get a debate going. There are a couple points that are a tad twisted, but all in all I thought it was a good read, especially when the intended readership is factored in." I see as making excuses. As I indicated in my first note, I did think his article was well-written until he started in on "gun control". In advocating that, he has most certainly gotten a debate going, but it would seem to me that he has taken a page from Jim Zumbo's old playbook in advocating the knowledge and use of firearms, but only of those firearms of which he approves and only if their sales are as he thinks they should be sold. In fairness, I have to say that both of those statements could apply to me as well, though there is a large difference in which firearms and of which sale methods he and I approve.

He is driving a debate in a hostile environment. Let's get over the guns are bad hump. Then we build from there.

He's trying to get a debate going. You can see it in what he says, and what he doesn't say. Even though we don't support everything he says, we should welcome someone of his stature and reputation in that community has chosen to engage the discussion.

Mine would be "all" and "any", respectively; Insofar as the law goes, I do not think the law should be addressing these issues. Control the criminals and leave the guns alone.

I don't disagree. However implementing that view in the real world, especially the world he is trying to engage, is not practical in one step.

Blessings,
    Bill

This is honestly one of the problems I have with Libertarians. The all or fail mentality. Progressives have learned that you can't eat an elephant in one gulp. You have to eat it bite by bite. Gun owners need all the friends we can get. It's like taking a lib to the gun range. Once they see that guns aren't evil and gun owners aren't simple hicks you can start to change other preconceived notions. But if you never take the first step you end up standing on the other side of a hill yelling at each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You said:

I replied:

"That's" being the conclusion drawn from the comments you referred to. It wasn't personal.
    Fair enough. I misread your point. Again, thanks for clarifying.
    We will have to disagree about presuming fact not in evidence, and words not spoken. Inartfully worded enough to not have any understanding of the meaning, IMHO.
    Another possibility is that since you and he are acquainted, you might contact him and ask him what he meant, if the nature of the acquaintance is such to permit that.
    If you sell a firearms to a restricted person you can go to prison. Transferring through an FFL fixes this as they have to call the Brady Bunch. Using a 4473 provides the next best level of protection, because if nothing else the buyer affirms under oath and penalty of perjury that the statements made are truthful.
    Understood. This is, as you said, a good reason to vote good people into office to override and repeal bad laws.
    It doesn't matter if Charlie has a record or not. You may not buy a gun in place of another person. You may buy it as a gift. You can decide to sell it 5 minutes after you purchase it. But swearing under penalty of perjury you are the purchaser when another person is really buying it and you are filling out the 4473 is a crime punishable by a long time in prison and a big fine.
    Re-reading, I realize I didn't add the word "knowingly" to the hypothetical situation I set up. John cannot knowingly buy the gun for delivery to Charlie, a man with a criminal record. He cannot legally provide the gun to Charlie by either sale or gift (or for that matter, even permitting him to borrow it, IIRC)
    You said:

I replied:

It was exactly because I recognized the sarcasm that I retorted. Given the level of respect your words have here (present company included) and the fact that there are many that can't tell the difference between reality and desire as written I felt it prudent to point out that it is a big deal. It shouldn't be but it is.
    Now you're just flattering me. ;) We need to not only get these laws changed, we need to prevent new ones from being written. You are correct, of course, it does violate the law to transfer a handgun across state lines or a long gun other than to neighboring states where those exceptions exist, unless one uses the services of someone who's paid the federal gov't's fee to have permission to do so.
    He is driving a debate in a hostile environment. Let's get over the guns are bad hump. Then we build from there.

He's trying to get a debate going. You can see it in what he says, and what he doesn't say. Even though we don't support everything he says, we should welcome someone of his stature and reputation in that community has chosen to engage the discussion.
    I don't know his stature or reputation. I'll take your word for the fact that some people respect his opinions.
    I don't disagree. However implementing that view in the real world, especially the world he is trying to engage, is not practical in one step.

This is honestly one of the problems I have with Libertarians. The all or fail mentality. Progressives have learned that you can't eat an elephant in one gulp. You have to eat it bite by bite. Gun owners need all the friends we can get. It's like taking a lib to the gun range. Once they see that guns aren't evil and gun owners aren't simple hicks you can start to change other preconceived notions. But if you never take the first step you end up standing on the other side of a hill yelling at each other.

I think it possible you have misinterpreted my point. My comment of "all and any" does not mean that I'm not willing to accept, temporarily, smaller steps in the correct direction. It means only that I see no reason to place limitations in the law on the RKBA. I recognize that others do see reason to do so. As an example, if I was a legislator, I would be willing to write a bill that removed the legal prohibition on LTCH holders carrying firearms at educational institutions. This still maintains the prohibition on those who do not hold that permission slip, whether unlicensed OC is still criminalized or not, however, unwritten in such a bill would be the fact that I planned to write a new bill the following year to address that issue. What I would not be willing to do would be to place an additional requirement into that bill, such as to say that a LTCH holder may carry at a school IF they took some as-yet-undesigned training course prior to doing so.

Yelling at each other from opposite sides of a hill? Maybe some do that, but I don't think I do. Like you, I encourage people to work together in the correct direction.

Blessings,
    Bill

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Does anyone else just want to smack their heads into a brick wall after reading all of that?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Is that better, BigMatt and Dom? :):

The laws, unfortunately, can be very frustrating, especially since we can look at the 2A and understand it in its simplicity.

How "shall not be infringed" became the state of affairs we now have is not a subject of much debate... incrementalism is, of course, the answer to that, and we even see that continuing to this day amongst our own numbers, people who own and even who carry daily, who claim no need for whatever type of firearm and that lack of need as justification to prevent access to it by someone who wants it. We're all familiar with raising children (from one end of the job or the other ;)) and the parental model of "You hit Johnny with that toy, so I'm taking away the toy until you can learn to behave!" and those in power forget that they are not our parents but our employees, and the people have let them do so. An embarrassing period of our history also had various laws passed ostensibly to "take away the toys" from some people, specifically from those "not like us" whether on basis of color, nation of origin, or other reasons, all of which presumed "our" superiority. Often, this was in spite of the fact that the "toys were being taken away" from the people who'd not "hit anyone" with them.

That the posts address the various issues is, I think, a good thing. (Admittedly, this may reflect my bias, having written several of them myself...:rolleyes:) So many harmless things are violations of the law when they should not be. I'm not sure what we can do to take away those laws and focus them where they need to be, on the acts of men that do cause harm... I enjoy the discussions in part because sometimes they wake people up who can have direct influence on those laws.

Blessings,
    Bill

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Gun problems aren't the result of economic issues either.

People don't commit murder because they're poor. People don't commit murder because they're a certain race. People don't commit murder because they're uneducated.

People commit murder because of hatred and other evils - their own moral corruption.

"You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society"

Top Bottom