The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Gun Talk ! (it happens every now and then 'round these parts)

As it happens, I've been gunnin' for one of these scopes, as I'm over-the-top crazy about Japanese glass. I have one of SWFA's fixed 10X scopes, and love it, but it's just not enough magnification for the more capable rifle.

So .... whala .... Black Friday Special from SWFA, and I jumped on it . The 20X scope, with nice extras. Mine is on order !
    Link: https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

Very simple reticle, which is easier for me to see (than the typical LR Christmas-tree reticles).
    Love this one !
    reticle_mq-20x_sub.png

So I'm putting you long-range Gala Event competition participants on notice ..... I've thrown-down-the-gauntlet ! :cool:

Fixed power scopes are really spectacular. Glad you found a deal!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Gun Talk ! (it happens every now and then 'round these parts)

As it happens, I've been gunnin' for one of these scopes, as I'm over-the-top crazy about Japanese glass. I have one of SWFA's fixed 10X scopes, and love it, but it's just not enough magnification for the more capable rifle.

So .... whala .... Black Friday Special from SWFA, and I jumped on it . The 20X scope, with nice extras. Mine is on order !
    Link: https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

Very simple reticle, which is easier for me to see (than the typical LR Christmas-tree reticles).
    Love this one !
    reticle_mq-20x_sub.png

So I'm putting you long-range Gala Event competition participants on notice ..... I've thrown-down-the-gauntlet ! :cool:
    My SWFA 10x has a mil-quad reticle. Love it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'll start out today with some gun talk, specifically rifle talk, since MM is coming after us rifle folks now.

I made some improvements to the Howa 1500 mini action .223 recently. I no longer setup my scopes as close to the barrel as possible, because I've found myself hunched over too much and causing neck/shoulder fatigue. With the scope a little higher, I can get a more natural/relaxed position and enjoy shooting the rifle more/longer.

• 0.125" thick Kydex cheek riser
    • Howa "tactical" bolt knob
    • DIP aluminum trigger guard / magazine well
    • EGW 20 moa base
    • Arken SH4 GenII 6-24x50 MIL scope
    • Arken 1.26" 34mm rings
    • Plumbers Putty in the buttstock for increased weight/balance

20211122_151345.jpg

20211122_151508.jpg

Took the setup out to the range last Monday and found some interesting results. The group size shrank on three brands and opened slightly on two others, ironically the two that opened up are the flavors it likes the most (Norma 77, Aust Out 69). I could blame a little bit on eye fatigue for the last two flavors, but I won't do that. In all seriousness, I actually think I have the diopter adjustment slightly off and believe it's messing with me a bit. For some reason I find that adjustment to be frustrating and have plans to revisit my method, because it should be straight forward.

That Wolf Gold was showing impressive results on the first two groups, then I blew it on the third.

20211122_145619.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'll start out today with some gun talk, specifically rifle talk, since MM is coming after us rifle folks now.

I made some improvements to the Howa 1500 mini action .223 recently. I no longer setup my scopes as close to the barrel as possible, because I've found myself hunched over too much and causing neck/shoulder fatigue. With the scope a little higher, I can get a more natural/relaxed position and enjoy shooting the rifle more/longer.

• 0.125" thick Kydex cheek riser
    • Howa "tactical" bolt knob
    • DIP aluminum trigger guard / magazine well
    • EGW 20 moa base
    • Arken SH4 GenII 6-24x50 MIL scope
    • Arken 1.26" 34mm rings
    • Plumbers Putty in the buttstock for increased weight/balance

View attachment 169562

View attachment 169563

Took the setup out to the range last Monday and found some interesting results. The group size shrank on three brands and opened slightly on two others, ironically the two that opened up are the flavors it likes the most (Norma 77, Aust Out 69). I could blame a little bit on eye fatigue for the last two flavors, but I won't do that. In all seriousness, I actually think I have the diopter adjustment slightly off and believe it's messing with me a bit. For some reason I find that adjustment to be frustrating and have plans to revisit my method, because it should be straight forward.

That Wolf Gold was showing impressive results on the first two groups, then I blew it on the third.

View attachment 169564
    Nice Howa indeed. I need to get a small caliber CF bolt gun. Did yours come with the Legacy Int'l DBM from factory? I had one in .308 (Hogue stock) for a time and eventually upgraded. Knob too.

My scope/bore height is determined by its purpose. Target rifles usually get higher rings and a cheek pad. Hunting rigs stay low as applicable.

I'm surprised the Wolf Gold did as well as it did. I've had less than stellar results with it myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom