Not open for further replies.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Years ago my large CRT monitor slowly started having problems. A quick internet search convinced me it was most likely solder joints on the circuit boards failing. Opened it up, shorted out the CRT tube to get rid of stored energy and looked at the boards under magnification and sure enough, there were many cracked joints. It didn't take long with a low wattage soldering iron to clean it up. The monitor lasted for years until it was replaced with a flat panel.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm 1 for 2 on fixing circuit boards in cars. 1st attempt was an HVAC control head like yours. Hand slipped and I removed more than just the capacitor from the board. 2nd attempt fared better and repaired bad solder connections on a Dodge Neon instrument cluster so I didn't have to smack the dash anymore to get gauges working.

On my old ‘88 BMW E30 with the M50 swap, I used to have to refloat the solder joints on the instrument cluster once in a while. If I were skilled with a soldering iron back then, I’d have just needed to do it once.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Factories were hot today. Going to be hotter tomorrow.

Dang, I’ll bet. I mowed at about 7pm this evening and even then it was hot in the sun unless a breeze was blowing. It will be 5 degrees hotter tomorrow.

These are the days that make the fall cool down so nice.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    On my old ‘88 BMW E30 with the M50 swap, I used to have to refloat the solder joints on the instrument cluster once in a while. If I were skilled with a soldering iron back then, I’d have just needed to do it once.
    It seems like I've seen those letters and numbers somewhere before....:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom