• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Looked at several wheel guns today in Lafayette. The GP100 I held had a nice DA pull than the 686, but the PC 686 had a very nice pull. The pawn shop had a Colt Python for $1400, but I think it would've been too heavy for me at this point (first .357/44). The GP100 was nice, but 44 spl. I think I oughta hold out for when I can get something to shoot magnums as well. This DW 44 in Utah looks nice (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/101014849) but I'm not sure that it wouldn't also be too heavy for a first centerfire revolver.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Looked at several wheel guns today in Lafayette. The GP100 I held had a nice DA pull than the 686, but the PC 686 had a very nice pull. The pawn shop had a Colt Python for $1400, but I think it would've been too heavy for me at this point (first .357/44). The GP100 was nice, but 44 spl. I think I oughta hold out for when I can get something to shoot magnums as well. This DW 44 in Utah looks nice (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/101014849) but I'm not sure that it wouldn't also be too heavy for a first centerfire revolver.

What do you mean by "too heavy..."? It is only 60 ounces.

What's your intended use?

Regardless of the answer, I will probably say that a SW686 is your best choice. :D

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    What do you mean by "too heavy..."? It is only 60 ounces.

What's your intended use?

Regardless of the answer, I will probably say that a SW686 is your best choice. :D
    For that size, I'd like something for woods carrying / whitetail hunting where legal. I would say, either I need to learn to polish some internals or buy a performance center version. The DA was noticeably nicer.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    For that size, I'd like something for woods carrying / whitetail hunting where legal. I would say, either I need to learn to polish some internals or buy a performance center version. The DA was noticeably nicer.
    A 4" 686 or a GP100 would be an easy to carry but still enjoyable to shoot option. 357 mag is the all time greatest cartridge ever BTW. :cool:

Anything much bigger, IMHO, is just too bulky and long to carry while hunting (exceptions would be made if in bear country).

Now, if you are planning to hunt with it - a nice 6.5" 629 is an excellent deer gun. I have one that has taken its share of deer back in the day.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    A 4" 686 or a GP100 would be an easy to carry but still enjoyable to shoot option. 357 mag is the all time greatest cartridge ever BTW. :cool:

Anything much bigger, IMHO, is just too bulky and long to carry while hunting (exceptions would be made if in bear country).

Now, if you are planning to hunt with it - a nice 6.5" 629 is an excellent deer gun. I have one that has taken its share of deer back in the day.
    4", not 6" ? I let a 6" Fixed barrel DW go for maybe a little too cheap on Friday. The Pawn shop in Lafayette had a 686 with a 3" barrel. But $850/900 for used non-PC version.

For the 629.. I've never fired a .44 Mag, I'm a little nervous about it. I think I need to cut my teeth on 38/357 or at least 44 spl.

@Snapdragon Four Guns in Lafayette had a 75B for $710, I think. Whether or not they'll let it go cheaper, I'm not sure.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    4", not 6" ? I let a 6" Fixed barrel DW go for maybe a little too cheap on Friday. The Pawn shop in Lafayette had a 686 with a 3" barrel. But $850/900 for used non-PC version.

For the 629.. I've never fired a .44 Mag, I'm a little nervous about it. I think I need to cut my teeth on 38/357 or at least 44 spl.

@Snapdragon Four Guns in Lafayette had a 75B for $710, I think. Whether or not they'll let it go cheaper, I'm not sure.
    Thanks. I am not able to travel right now (lots of stuff going on at home), but I could check back with them in a week or two.

I can get one on GB for $679, but then there's shipping and FFL fees, and suddenly I'm at $735 not counting tax.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to switch the decocker to the manual safety on the convertible omega?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

Personal preference, I think a 4" 686 has great balance. SW has some slick options in the 686 like the SSR. My favorites are the -3 and -4's but the newer lock version are really quite good.

Recoil. Ehh. I'd rather shoot 100 rounds of a 629 (44 mag) than 10 in a J frame 357 mag.

Grips, weight etc will make a huge difference in recoil perception.

A 44 mag with shoot 44 special like a 357 with shoot 38.

No wrong answers as you won't get one - just your first one.

Go to the rental range and blast away with some wheel guns. The gun will tell you which one to buy.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Thanks. I am not able to travel right now (lots of stuff going on at home), but I could check back with them in a week or two.

I can get one on GB for $679, but then there's shipping and FFL fees, and suddenly I'm at $735 not counting tax.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to switch the decocker to the manual safety on the convertible omega?
    Wrigley in FW generally has a steady supply of a CZs - at least they did.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Wrigley in FW generally has a steady supply of a CZs - at least they did.
    They had quite a few when i was in there a couple weeks ago.
    Most of the time when I’m wheel gunning i find myself using it SA. Unless I’m going for quick follow up shots. The 686 is great fun running .38 special and quick shooting steel. Just my 2¢. Ive never shot a GP100 but based on my experience with the wranglers, id say Ruger makes a good wheel gun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom